Fan Report: Deathly Hallows PaperBack Release Party at Scholastic Store

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
July 21, 2009, 02:15 PM

Two years ago today, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling was released. As readers will recall, several weeks ago in the midst of the flurry of the HBP movie release, Scholastic, US publishers of the Harry Potter novels, released the paperback edition of Deathly Hallows.  Given the date today, we thought you might enjoy this fan report and photos below from TLC reader hpboy13 who went to the special paperback release party held at the main Scholastic Store in Soho, NYC on July 7th. Thanks so much hp!

The party started at 10a.m. when the store opened.  The entire place was decked out in posters  and other HP decor, including an entire display on HP.  In the entrance hall there was a breathtaking display of all seven HP books, all of them signed by JKR herself according to the inscription.

When I walked in, there were countless DH paperbacks on display, so I quickly grabbed one and bought it at long last, receiving with it a poster (the one Scholastic put on their site a short while back, of all the covers mixed together "the most magical adventure of our time.")  There was a huge stand that had all the books and DVDs on it, as well as all kinds of HP merchandise (including all four houses, Hogwarts castle). Needless to say, my wallet became rather empty very quickly after I saw it.

There was a huge printout of the DH cover with a hole in Harry's face for people to take their picture in, which I happily did.  I then participated in the first of the hourly trivias, winning an HP bag (I cobbled together an image of it from all sides.)  I then went up to the crafts station, where me made "potions" (similar to the flubber children make, but we called it swelling solution) and "wands" (a plastic tube filled with "magic crystals," glitter, and "dragon tears") I participated in several more of the trivia contests to get the runner-up prize (although I won) of a left-over pin from the Sorcerer's Stone anniversary.  The workers soon realized that I was an uber-fan, and requested my help in coming up with more trivia questions, which I gladly obliged.

I also entered a raffle for a trunk with all the hardcover books and a piece of artwork by Mary GrandPre.  I'm fairly sure I haven't seen this artwork before, it depicts Sirius and the Trio in the Shrieking Shack.  I didn't win though :( I was around the party so long, and so dressed up for the occasion, people began thinking I worked there.  Some time after 5p.m. several members of The Group That Shall Not Be Named arrived, providing Scholastic with much more business for the merch.  We finished off the party at 6p.m. by fawning over the display of signed books

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows News

that sounds so great! yum paperback
i think barnes and noble should throw big Potter parties every once in a while, it would be great business too…

Posted by kenmarekestrels93 {{ROAR}} on July 21, 2009, 10:44 PM report to moderator
Dh__flight_of_hedwig_by_clouded_ambition_thumb

Good for you, hp boy! We expect you to bring your souvenirs to the next meetup so we can see them in person.

Posted by dcsbelle [WBM] OOM3, CW on July 21, 2009, 11:20 PM report to moderator

Sounds like there was a lot of fun to be had. I would love to have a hardcover set of my own. The chest would have been great. Hard to believe it’s been two years since the release and I spent the night reading the whole book. Wow!

Posted by Phylis {ROAR} on July 21, 2009, 11:42 PM report to moderator
Moon3_thumb

I remember when DH came out 2 years ago, my son was only 9 months old then. I would get through a chapter every time he woke me up in the middle of the night…lol.

Posted by Figment on July 22, 2009, 12:03 AM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_girl_thumb

thanks so much for sending this in! gosh, I can’t believe it’s been two years already! unbelievable! It’s been an incredible journey…. wish I could’ve gone to something like this at least once in the fandom… maybe I’ll get lucky someday :)

Posted by ameema on July 22, 2009, 12:04 AM report to moderator
Phelpstwins_thumb

this sounds like fun :) I got my paperback boxset last week. It’s so pretty &Hearts;

Posted by deadtree ♥WBM♥ on July 22, 2009, 01:07 AM report to moderator
Dumbledore_thumb

Hehe, that was yesterday for me now… and by sheer coincidence, I finished another ultra-slow (one or two chapters a night) read of it yesterday morning.

You may like the info from Jo’s webchat that followed about a week later: :)

Bittersweet, reading the comments on that one…

Posted by Remus Lonno on July 22, 2009, 01:52 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was so good.That sounded like so much fun! I wish I could have been there to see.

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on July 22, 2009, 04:36 AM report to moderator
Leaky_thumb

My gosh, it’s been a while. I love Mary Grandpre’s atwork but I just cannot believe it’s been two years since DH! x

Posted by VoodooPadfoot - {WBM} on July 22, 2009, 04:58 AM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2010-06-07_at_7

Sounds like the party was a lot of fun! But wow, I seriously can’t believe it has been two years… I still remember every moment of the months, weeks, days, and finally seconds leading up to the release.

Posted by Awakened on July 22, 2009, 05:54 AM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

Ooh! This sounds like so much fun! I would have gone craaaazy on the trivia. :o)

Z_thumb

that’s so cool! i wish i was there.

Posted by chocolaterabbits on July 22, 2009, 07:33 AM report to moderator
Postejeunes4_thumb

Sounds like quite the fun experience! Can’t wait for the eighth book to be released….. lol

Posted by Boy With A Lightning Scar on July 22, 2009, 08:56 AM report to moderator
Stopvoldemort__thumb

That picture looks kinda….

I mean, Sirius looks like a cross between Voldemort and Bigfoot. And Hermione is tiny! They look like 5 year olds!

Posted by Aliyah95 on July 22, 2009, 09:17 AM report to moderator
080306_185747_thumb

Sounds awesome! If I lived in New York I definitely would have gone.

Posted by KayJay123 on July 22, 2009, 09:24 AM report to moderator

"And what are you two doing?"...[br]"We're walking," Ron told Snape shortly. "Not against the law, is it?"[br]"Keep walking, then!" Snape snarled, and he brushed past them, his long black cloak billowing out behind him.

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014