Followup on Jamie Waylett Case: Sentenced to Community Service (Updated)

Legal
July 21, 2009, 07:43 AM

A followup today regarding the legal case involving actor Jamie Waylett (Crabbe), who earlier this month plead guilty to growing cannabis plants at a residence in London, England. Today, the AP reports that Jamie was sentenced to to 120 hours of community service. The report continues:  Judge Timothy Workman said Tuesday that he accepted that the cultivation was on a small scale and for Waylett's own use. He said the actor had been, "until now, a man of good character."
UPDATE: The BBC has more now on the matter, including a message from Jamie: "Leaving the court, Waylett said: "I extend my sincere apologies to the producers, cast and crew and all at Warners and most especially to all Harry Potter fans."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Legal News

Harry_potter_thumb

They should keep him, but he needs to do his time with CS.

Posted by Jewunit on July 21, 2009, 10:46 AM report to moderator
Ravie_thumb

Glad he just got community service, which is actually an all-around good thing. There are so many other things he could have done that would deserve much worse punishment. But I’ll keep the rest of my opinions to myself =)

Posted by Marie! on July 21, 2009, 10:47 AM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

Thats good that he doesnt have to spend time in jail. I wonder iif that means he’ll be in DH. I hope they let him be because it would be stupid if someone else had to play him. They cant leave him out because his part is a little bigger in DH2 than it normally is.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 21, 2009, 10:47 AM report to moderator
Electric_guitar_thumb

Well that’s a relief!

Posted by Lloyd on July 21, 2009, 10:50 AM report to moderator
Muahaha_thumb

LOL Joost! Funny. :) I wonder how many other Harry Potter cast and crew members have used pot. I suppose the real tragedy is he got caught with it and was made a spectacle of. With Dan Radcliffe and Michael Gambon both smoking cigarettes (and likely Emma though I don’t know if she gave it up, probably not), and really all of them drinking alcohol, I suppose pot is the least he could do. Heh. I just have this very real image of the end of the day, Emma Watson sitting down and slouching in her chair with a martini in one hand and a cigarette in the other, and letting out a huge fart.

Posted by ScottMan on July 21, 2009, 10:56 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

I knew I’d read something which led me to believe Jamie would not be in DH and here it is:
“Tomorrow we’re shooting the scene in the Room of Requirement, where Harry Ron and Hermione are being chased by Fiendfyre and its a very cool scene.’ " a quote from David Yates in Total Film magazine.
This news report was posted on July 1st, it looks likely therefore that Jamie is not going to be in the film.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on July 21, 2009, 11:08 AM report to moderator

Has ANYONE noticed that this kid got nailed because he filmed some police out in public? He was searched based on anti-terrorism laws! What about two kids using a camera prompts terrorism suspicions? Sounds to me like who ever arrested him had a hair across their ass as well as very nice and abusive power trip. Now this kid has to pay out in public because of that. Does anyone else see how wrong that is?!!

Posted by Scrodius on July 21, 2009, 11:09 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

Well he wouldn’t have been in trouble if he hadn’t had what is an illegal drug on him, I am not saying it is right he was searched for that particular reason, but he must know it is against the law to have the drug. There was always a risk that he would be found out one day, what with growing it at home, I have to say I can’t figure out how his family didn’t put a stop to that, surely they should have noticed the plants. I think he has just been a little foolish and hopefully will learn from this, and never get involved in drugs again. I wish him well and hope he will be able to put this behind him and have a successful career.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on July 21, 2009, 11:19 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

Just read the report, and I see Jamie didn’t have any drugs on him, just pictures of them on his camera, but his friend did have drugs. I am glad to read the statement Jamie made apologising to the fans and the film makers, he has accepted that what he did was wrong and hopefully that will set him on the right path now.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on July 21, 2009, 11:30 AM report to moderator
Foto446_05

Go, Jamie! Smoke on! Pot is good for you, much better than tobacco.

Posted by Bell Dema [FTC!!!] on July 21, 2009, 11:33 AM report to moderator

Right path nothing! What is unjust is unjust. I could see searching him if there was any real indication, but TERRORISM?!!! It’s just another excuse to erode your privacy and rights. Why don’t you all just have cameras installed on your heads so the authorities can make sure you don’t make one step left or right too many?

Posted by Scrodius on July 21, 2009, 11:49 AM report to moderator
Mac3_thumb
1925 Points

i hope he will be in deathly hallows.

Posted by Parkinsonpansy on July 21, 2009, 12:06 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Well, cleaning out some hospital bedpans for 1/2 a month sure beats being locked up with real criminals for lord knows how long…. Thank goodness for judges… If it were up to the police or prosecutors, he would be in Azkaban right now!

Posted by Won_Two on July 21, 2009, 12:08 PM report to moderator
Heartcup_thumb

Hopefully he’s learned his lesson.

Posted by Queen Griselda [*Squee!*] on July 21, 2009, 12:22 PM report to moderator
Bb620ecb12c9468f9c2bae8e1750bb27_thumb

lol at his misery… But why are they yelling at him for pot use and not Phelps? And why does he have to grow it? Why not just grab it from some dealer??

This actor = stupid