David Yates Talks Burrow Scene, Deathly Hallows Film, and Life after Harry Potter

Yates Interviews
July 24, 2009, 09:09 AM

Director David Yates has given a new interview to Vanity Fair, where he discusses again the decision to add the attack on the Burrow scene to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, as well as weigh in with some thoughts on the look of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part Two and his career plans after the series has concluded. Notable quotes are as follows:

Can you give me an example of a particularly difficult choice you had to make in this last film? "One of the things we did was we added a sequence in the middle of the movie—the sequence in the reeds when death eaters try and attack Harry—and that sequence never existed in the book. In one sense it seems mad to add something to Jo’s [read: J.K. Rowling’s] world and Jo’s book. It’s already full of pretty rich, fantastic stuff—why on earth would you add anything? But in the sort of two-and-a-half hour structure of a screenplay there was a lack of a sense of jeopardy from the outside. We were in all these romantic entanglements and I needed to audience to be reminded of what the threat was from the outside world. Jo talks about those things in the background in the book but halfway through our book we needed our audience in the theater to be aware of them and to experience them. So we added a sequence that didn’t existed in the book but was there, I guess, in spirit because it was happening beyond Hogwarts."

Did you run it by J.K. Rowling? I’m sorry: by “Jo”? "Yeah, Jo was totally cool about it. She recognized the challenge of it and the need for it."

On Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: "It’s just edgier. It’s a little rawer. It’s more contemporary. It feels more modern. Shooting in the way we’ve been shooting, doing a lot of hand-held camera work, all that stuff, I’ve never got a call from the studio. They just phone up or email and say we love the dailies even though I am doing things that feel very not Harry Potter. So I feel I have a freedom and the elbowroom to do what I feel the story requires.

So you’re hearkening back to your gritty days of State of Play? "Yeah, indeed. In Harry Potter Seven, part One, very much so. But, of course, Hallows part Two brings that fantasy world back in full cinemascope. It’s full of dragons, and big wizard battles, and magic. To keep the thing interesting for me as a filmmaker, I want to serve the wonderful stories Jo has given us but I need to move it around a bit. I can’t feel that I am making the same film. Tonally, I need to shake it up a bit. Like Half-Blood Prince had a lot more humor in it than Order of the Phoenix and that was important for me, and I think it was important for the audience to not get the same journey. And Hallows part One will feel very different than Half-Blood Prince."

What’s the first thing you are going to do next? "I’ve got a couple of things. I want to do a war picture. I’m developing a war picture called Saint Nazaire that’s about a reckless commander raid in the Second World War. I want to make a movie version of the TV thing I did called Sex Traffic, about trafficking. There’s a whole pile of stuff coming out. I am reading stuff all the time."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Yates Interviews News

Good article. Hope David Yates is enjoying his time on Harry Potter and has a good life beyond there.

Posted by Robbie Rowe on July 24, 2009, 01:36 PM report to moderator
Azkabanhires8_thumb

it will be amazing if they make sure all the ends are tied up but i think they will

Posted by BOOK7FAN18(ROAR) on July 24, 2009, 01:41 PM report to moderator
Wallpaper_ada_wong_02_thumb

I know harry was alone all the time…he would have been an easy target for the death eaters.

Posted by minishiva on July 24, 2009, 01:45 PM report to moderator
1980 Points

i didnt see the need for it.nothing exactly happend. there was many other parts in the book they skipped and he added that.

Posted by floridianhp*ROAR* on July 24, 2009, 01:51 PM report to moderator
Iconator_1beee7b45608ba93e24371a7e799def3_2__thumb

The way I look at it is this, obviously Jo didn’t care or she would have put the brakes on it. I believe I read it’s in the contract that she has to approve every scene before it can be used.
I don’t think she’d let someone ruin her books.

Posted by Draco_Fan on July 24, 2009, 02:17 PM report to moderator
Img_e015_thumb

Very interesting…but I still think that they should have put the battle against the death eaters and also Dumbledore’s funeral. I don’t see how they attack at the borrow was necessary!

Posted by laura399 {WBM} on July 24, 2009, 02:31 PM report to moderator
Avpm_15_by_cuttlefishbella_thumb

I love how he says 7 prt 1 is going to be diff than 6… even IF 6 was so damn good :]]]]

Posted by Live Laugh Love Potter ♥ROAR♥ on July 24, 2009, 02:44 PM report to moderator
Avpm_15_by_cuttlefishbella_thumb

Posted by Live Laugh Love Potter ♥ROAR♥ on July 24, 2009, 02:46 PM report to moderator
Avatar-561_thumb

“I wish the Battles scenes isn’t just 3 to 5 minutes in the films like what you did on the Battle at the Department of Mysteries,”

from what i heard, from this very site nontheless, is that the 2nd film picks up after or during gringotts. and that the battle of hogwarts is within the first 30-40mins, so i dont think it’ll be a 3-5min fight if its a 2 and a half hour film, ya think?

Posted by Bobthemime on July 24, 2009, 02:55 PM report to moderator
Bb620ecb12c9468f9c2bae8e1750bb27_thumb

the battles better be long!!

Posted by GTHunter [FTC!] on July 24, 2009, 03:46 PM report to moderator
013_thumb

i still think the burning burrow was a crappy scene. the battle while DD was dying would have implied the sense of danger needed. i still do not understand why the burrow was in the middle of a bog.

Posted by is.this.real? on July 24, 2009, 03:58 PM report to moderator
2vbx3b5_thumb

For everyone asking about why they decided to leave out the fighting at the end of HBP, either Heyman or Yates I forget which said a while back that it was because there is a battle at hogwarts in DH too. Its crap I know, but that was their big excuse. Its such total rubbish. Everytime I think about it I wish I could just smack them.

Posted by bella vita on July 24, 2009, 04:03 PM report to moderator
Th_hufflepuff2_thumb

We found something out about the spilt then, at least before they leave Gringotts!

Posted by lunalovegood97 on July 24, 2009, 04:14 PM report to moderator
Rat_ava_2_thumb

I want you to explain that frigging waitress scene, Yates. I may never get over that horror.

Posted by axlgirl [FTC!] on July 24, 2009, 04:21 PM report to moderator
Avatars_movies_ootp_002_thumb

I understand why they put the Burrow’s burning in there, but I think it fell flat because we never saw Ron or Ginny reacting to the loss of their home, or wondering where they would go when summer started, or any of the visceral reactions that normal people would have to their home being destroyed – Jo’s characters are believable because they react believably, so this scene really stood out to me because no one reacted to it during the entire rest of the movie.

Posted by Agrippa1 on July 24, 2009, 04:34 PM report to moderator

Fred and George Weasley [were] trying to find out what would happen if you fed a Filibuster firework to a salamander. Fred had "rescued" the brilliant orange, fire-dwelling lizard from a Care of Magical Creatures class and it was now smouldering gently on