Dan Radcliffe In August Issue of Attitude Magazine

Radcliffe Interviews
Posted by: Edward
July 27, 2009, 04:06 PM

Actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) has given a very candid new interview to the UK gay magazine Attitude, which appears in the August issue of the magazine on newsstands now.  The August issue of this magazine features a multi-page photo spread and interview with the actor, which can be seen right here in our Image Galleries courtesy of our Order Partner DanRadcliffe.com.  The BBC has an article online highlighting parts of this interview, incliding Mr. Radcliffe's comments on his loathing of homophobia, as well as his liberal political leanings.  On the subject of homophobia, the actor relates that, "I grew up around gay people entirely. I was the only child in my class who had any experience of homosexuality or anything like that."  In the full interview he goes on to say:

"My dad was an agent and represented Jonathan Harvery who wrote Beautiful Thing so I grew up knowing Jonathan and his partner and it was just never an issue.  Then when you get to that age at school and someone calls you a poof, and you go, "What?"  You go, "Hold on, why is this word being used like this?"  It suddenly became really weird for me to have people around me who were homophobic.  It was a very strange, weird thing. I've always been around gay people."
The interview continues with Mr. Radcliffe speaking on a number of subjects, including politics and getting out the youth vote.  On this subject he says: "It's so important young people learn about politics and vote even if it's a protest vote to make a point.  Not voting is not a protest."  Dan Radcliffe wraps up his interview in Attitude, which a short discussion of his future after the Harry Potter films.  In this section, the actor speaks further to the possibility of playing late photojournalist Dan Eldon in an upcoming project:
"I'm hopefully going to play Dan Eldon,the photojournalist who was stoned to death in Somalia.  I've spoken with his mother and sister and met them.  We need to make sure we get it right and do him real justice."
A caution to parents, as this interview does contain discussion of subjects and language that may not be suitable for younger readers.  The full interview and complete photo spread can be found over in our Image Galleries.

Many thanks to DanRadcliffe.com.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe Interviews News

12440441_thumb
19573 Points

Very interesting interview!

Posted by R-for-H {ROAR} :D on July 27, 2009, 05:26 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

thats awesome!

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 27, 2009, 05:26 PM report to moderator

Daniel is freaking brilliant. Amazing interview.

Posted by emdash84 on July 27, 2009, 05:32 PM report to moderator
Bb620ecb12c9468f9c2bae8e1750bb27_thumb

he looks creepy

Posted by GTHunter [FTC!] on July 27, 2009, 05:32 PM report to moderator
Dsc02812__2__thumb

What a wonderful interview from Dan. It is always refreshing to hear his thoughts – mainly because they have depth and sincerity. I very much admire this young man.

Posted by Lillylove on July 27, 2009, 05:49 PM report to moderator
8b23294eb01675737c1d66ad719c6e95_thumb

Yes, emdash84 I’m constantly amazed at how freaking brilliant Dan is! What an interview! He’s awesome! Loved the reference to “First They Came…” (and the fact that he loved it, and it’s on his family’s wall at home!)

I don’t understand US politics, let alone British, but I imagine he could do well there also. Whatever avenue he chooses to ‘save the world’ from, I’m all for it!!!

Wow! … still in awe! What a guy… and he’s only 20!!!

Posted by Mollywobbles on July 27, 2009, 05:52 PM report to moderator
Ari_with_roses_thumb

Fantastic interview!!!!

Posted by Amy Darlene on July 27, 2009, 06:18 PM report to moderator

To a previous user who said it must certainly be “weird” to grow up around gay individuals: I am gay, and I have not heard that comment once. I am a community volunteer, top student at my university, and an active member of my local theater group. Does my sexuality honestly define me as an individual? Should I be known as “that gay human being” instead of “a human being”? Should I call you “that heterosexual human being”?

Gay individuals are all around us. Maybe the man who bagged your groceries was gay. Maybe one of your friends has a relative who is gay. Maybe the man who offered you assistance at the local store was gay. Maybe the man who drives a taxi is gay.

Posted by SwedishSkinJer on July 27, 2009, 06:23 PM report to moderator
Dsc08588_thumb

Is he even capable of giving a bad interview?

This was very interesting, glad I took the time to read all of it!

Posted by Jade Danielle (WBM) on July 27, 2009, 06:24 PM report to moderator
Owl_watermelon_thumb

Dan is odd, but in a good way. Thanks for the interview!

Posted by Lucia Meadows on July 27, 2009, 06:26 PM report to moderator
Dare-to-be-clever_thumb

this was a great article!!! its nice to see young fame with some intelligence.

Posted by Morgana_Black*WBM* on July 27, 2009, 06:29 PM report to moderator
Kit_thumb

“If you keep expectations low, you will always exceed them” Bwahahahahaha!

Posted by Fereverto on July 27, 2009, 06:58 PM report to moderator
Harry3d_thumb

Lucia Meadows: Why do you say Dan is odd?? I think he is completely normal… I mean, I think his ideas are very normal, you know, the same as mines, like my friends… I think these ideals are very common here in modern Europe. About the gay thing… Well, I do have gay and lesbian friends, they are some of the best people I’ve ever met. Also, here in Spain homosexual marriage is becoming just a normal thing (like it should have always been). I don’t know people think Dan is “so” open minded, because almost every person I normally talk with (friends, teachers, family), I watch just think exactly the same.

Posted by minitontis on July 27, 2009, 07:08 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

Dan’s interviews are always great :]

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on July 27, 2009, 07:10 PM report to moderator

I agree, Mini. I may be gay (and I’m not ashamed of who I am as an individual, either), but I must say this: gay stereotypes are as inaccurate as any other stereotype. I don’t have a high-pitched voice, I don’t solely wear pink, and you most likely wouldn’t know about my sexuality unless I told you. Oh, and I don’t want to “indoctrinate” children, either (kind of odd that this accusation comes mostly from anti-gay theists, considering that they encourage parents to bring their children to religious services). That’s possibly the most dehumanizing attack against gay individuals.

Posted by SwedishSkinJer on July 27, 2009, 07:48 PM report to moderator

Up at the High Table, Dumbledore had swapped his pointed wizard's hat for a flowered bonnet, and was chuckling merrily at a joke Professor Flitwick had just read him.