Dan Radcliffe In August Issue of Attitude Magazine

Radcliffe Interviews
Posted by: Edward
July 27, 2009, 04:06 PM

Actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) has given a very candid new interview to the UK gay magazine Attitude, which appears in the August issue of the magazine on newsstands now.  The August issue of this magazine features a multi-page photo spread and interview with the actor, which can be seen right here in our Image Galleries courtesy of our Order Partner DanRadcliffe.com.  The BBC has an article online highlighting parts of this interview, incliding Mr. Radcliffe's comments on his loathing of homophobia, as well as his liberal political leanings.  On the subject of homophobia, the actor relates that, "I grew up around gay people entirely. I was the only child in my class who had any experience of homosexuality or anything like that."  In the full interview he goes on to say:

"My dad was an agent and represented Jonathan Harvery who wrote Beautiful Thing so I grew up knowing Jonathan and his partner and it was just never an issue.  Then when you get to that age at school and someone calls you a poof, and you go, "What?"  You go, "Hold on, why is this word being used like this?"  It suddenly became really weird for me to have people around me who were homophobic.  It was a very strange, weird thing. I've always been around gay people."
The interview continues with Mr. Radcliffe speaking on a number of subjects, including politics and getting out the youth vote.  On this subject he says: "It's so important young people learn about politics and vote even if it's a protest vote to make a point.  Not voting is not a protest."  Dan Radcliffe wraps up his interview in Attitude, which a short discussion of his future after the Harry Potter films.  In this section, the actor speaks further to the possibility of playing late photojournalist Dan Eldon in an upcoming project:
"I'm hopefully going to play Dan Eldon,the photojournalist who was stoned to death in Somalia.  I've spoken with his mother and sister and met them.  We need to make sure we get it right and do him real justice."
A caution to parents, as this interview does contain discussion of subjects and language that may not be suitable for younger readers.  The full interview and complete photo spread can be found over in our Image Galleries.

Many thanks to DanRadcliffe.com.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe Interviews News

Raven_avatar_thumb

That was a very good interview…

Posted by Won_Two on July 28, 2009, 11:35 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

The pics were amazing!

Posted by The Nerd on July 28, 2009, 12:20 PM report to moderator

I absolutely love Daniel! He’s so personable and intelligent. His interviews always make me smile. =]

Posted by treacletartftw on July 28, 2009, 01:02 PM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

I though this might be a Dumbledore type announcement

Posted by Girlraven1 on July 28, 2009, 01:10 PM report to moderator
Avatars_movies_ootp_002_thumb

What a terrific interview – he’s so naturally accepting, it’s as if he’s Dumbledore’s man, through and through, in person.

Posted by Agrippa1 on July 28, 2009, 03:30 PM report to moderator

Wonderful interview and pictures. I feel the reason Dan comes across so mature and is not afraid to state his views is the fact that he is an only child.
His parents also respected him and included him in so much of their lives.
My son was an only child and when he was a teenager other parents were all the time telling us how nice it was to be around him. He would actually sit and carry on an intelligent conversation with them.
This interview really shows how much Dan has matured.

Posted by Rose63 on July 28, 2009, 03:37 PM report to moderator

Isn’t it a shame when a person expresses their opinions about things and gets attacked.
One person said it must have been wierd growing up with gay people and boom the defensive mechanism goes forth. One does not have to accept a person for their sexual orientation just because you want them to.
As far as the church going members who bring their children to church to “hear” antigay rhetoric, I learned a child will grow up and have a mind of their own when it is time to choose their beliefs.
As for as this responder’s opinion I have no qulams about Dan being open minded, but please, I am not a robot that shares his views as my experience was not great with anyone gay when I was growing up. Including family members who chose to live their lives the way they wanted.

Posted by jerseypopopx6 on July 28, 2009, 04:16 PM report to moderator

As for my real opinion of the article I think it was timely and greaat for Daan to show how articulate he is.
Whether he is gay or not has nothing to do with his abilities to portray a character that many have come to love.
I said it before and will say it again it is a fictional character that has captured the imagination of many and for those who choose to belittle Dan because of an article needs to get a life.

Posted by jerseypopopx6 on July 28, 2009, 04:20 PM report to moderator
I_thought_about_flying____by_siriuslyec_thumb

@jerseypopopx6- fyi it’s also attacking the gay community and any Leaky readers who may be gay (which there are) when someone says it must be ‘weird’ growing up around them. That is highly offensive. In addition, I find it offensive that you claim most everyone else to be a ‘robot’ simply for agreeing that love and equality is the right path to walk. Perhaps you haven’t had good experiences growing up around other gay people, and I find that quite unfortunate and I feel sorry.

Posted by PaintTheSky on July 28, 2009, 06:01 PM report to moderator
Da1a_thumb

Good for you, Dan!!!!! Love the attitude!

Paintthe sky is right…you probably already know someone who is gay, and you know what? It’s not a big deal!
Erin

Posted by Rin68nyr on July 28, 2009, 10:20 PM report to moderator
Lunagreen_thumb

YAY Dan! I am straight but not narrow too! :)

Posted by Flora Lovegood {<3WBM<3} on July 28, 2009, 11:09 PM report to moderator

Superb interview…..well it’s Daniel it would be….but this one was even more thought provoking and informative….love that he doesn’t hold back his opinion
and expesses his thoughts in such an intelligent ,and often witty way….
He is such an intelligent ,charming ,talented,witty and gracious person so glad
to see some major publication,and interviewer, gave him a chance to state his views.Which are always very interesting on any subject.
I may not agree with all of them but I defend his right to say them to the hilt.
What an incredible man,SO looking forwrd to what he does in the future…….and the photos are fantastic.

Posted by Jeannine on July 29, 2009, 09:21 AM report to moderator
Moon3_thumb

Dan did a very good interview. The photos look great.

Posted by Figment on July 29, 2009, 02:57 PM report to moderator

I love Daniel, because he’s open minded and also funny. (of course, and very handsome, and getting better with time :P)
cheers Gryffindor

Posted by HereticPrincess on July 29, 2009, 03:45 PM report to moderator
P1010012_thumb

He is such a great guy! I really like him! Totally platonically of course since I’m Lily’s age. Oh well.

Posted by Gwynog'srabbit on July 29, 2009, 07:27 PM report to moderator

"You ask for forgiveness? I do not forgive. I do not forget."