Half-Blood Prince Slips Domestically, Still Leads World Wide Box Office with 627 Million to Date

HBP Film
July 27, 2009, 08:03 AM

Media reports were quick to trumpet the news that Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince slipped to number two at domestic box office sales, with the new Disney film "G-Force" nabbing the top spot.  Variety reports however that HBP continues to do remarkably well both domestic and notably on the international front as the industry magazine reports: "Half-Blood Prince" remained the worldwide leader, earning a magical $84.4 million internationally for a total haul of $627.1 million. That’s the top pace for the "Potter" franchise. Domestic gross was an estimated $30 million from 4,325 runs.

The LA Times also points out that while HBP "declined 61%. 2007's "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," which also opened on a Wednesday in July, fell 57.8% on its second weekend. As of Sunday, the total domestic gross for "Half-Blood Prince" was $221.8 million. Accounting for the 9% rise in ticket prices over the last two years, that puts it about $5 million behind "Order of the Phoenix" at the same point. The new movie does have one disadvantage, however: It's playing at only four Imax locations, whereas "Order of the Phoenix" was at 91. The large-size screens carry higher ticket prices and tend to lose business at a slow pace." The newspaper also reminds us that this week, Half-Blood Prince will indeed be opening on 162 IMAX screens.

Finally the newspaper says that HBP "cost $250 million to produce and about $155 million to market and distribute. Since studios keep about half of their films' ticket sales, Warner Bros. is likely to break even on the theatrical run of "Half-Blood Prince" and profit handsomely on the DVD and in other markets."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Laughing_dan_thumb
2027 Points

omg. are you freaking serious ppl. a stupid movie about gerbils who are heros? I THINK IM GONNA GO THROW UP!!!!!!!! GO SEE THE MOVIE AGAIN! HELP PROMOTE OUR MOVIE!!!!!

….and just another thing to consider, i dont think it has been released in all countries yet. i Greece has to wait until the end of august.

Posted by sunlitdays (ROAR) on July 27, 2009, 01:49 PM report to moderator

I thought the HBP was not as good as the book. I think the delay in the opening did hurt it a little. I always thought the first 2 movies were the best. I am not crazy about the director. The last movie was the worst of the lot and even though this movie was good I still felt it was missing something. I hope the last two are better than this

Posted by hp52fan on July 27, 2009, 01:57 PM report to moderator
282600_233804939987291_100000733600249_807455_78180_n_thumb

i wonder if it will hit a billion??

Posted by Horcruxalej on July 27, 2009, 02:14 PM report to moderator
Puppet_pals_yes_thumb

That’s cause everyone went the first week!!

Posted by phoenixes are in ravenclaw on July 27, 2009, 02:25 PM report to moderator
Dare-to-be-clever_thumb

kids movies are always top of the box office because you usually have to buy at least 3 or more tickets per group…parents+kids etc…but you are right gryffindor…its poppy cock!!

Posted by Morgana_Black*WBM* on July 27, 2009, 02:31 PM report to moderator
Harry-ginny-kiss-hbp-harry-and-ginny-4791495-1920-1080_thumb

ok soo are u joking?? we as fans must make it again to the number one spot!!! we can do it!!! im gonna go and watch it again and again and again:)

Posted by bonniewrightfan on July 27, 2009, 02:39 PM report to moderator
Aberforth_thumb

G-Force will feel like an abandoned Orphan next week as its ticket sales fall into an Ice Age, slipping below HBP, and that’s the Ugly Truth. Ain’t it Funny, People?

Posted by Squibmeister on July 27, 2009, 02:44 PM report to moderator
Amanda_s_undesirable_thumb

I’ve seen it 3 times already. 3rd time I went there was a family of about 5 going to see the G-Force movie. I agree with Morgana_Black where it’s families going with lots of kids to boost ticket sales. BUT, bring on the IMAX! I’m ready for HBP to be on top again.

Posted by dingy0413 on July 27, 2009, 02:49 PM report to moderator
Amanda_s_undesirable_thumb

LOL, squibmeister. Good one.

Posted by dingy0413 on July 27, 2009, 02:51 PM report to moderator
12440441_thumb
19573 Points

I have only seen it once so far but am going tomorrow and maybe another possible two times… I think it shall be a long buring this one… It has done so well already!

Posted by R-for-H {ROAR} :D on July 27, 2009, 02:53 PM report to moderator

How did G-Force beat it? But then, I haven’t actually seen it- but HBP is so good!

Posted by hallowgirl on July 27, 2009, 03:22 PM report to moderator

ew, i can’t believe G-force had top ticket sales. i mean, seriously, the movie has NOTHING. no good camera shots, no insane CGI effects, NOTHING. i don’t see how this is possible. this is like when beverly hills chihuahuas had top sales. its ridiculous how society’s collective intelligence is steadily going down…

Posted by watchmen_roadkiller on July 27, 2009, 03:31 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

wow… that is a LOT of money! but its giving other people jobs so thats good :)

Iheartfredgeorge_thumb

It’s sad that G-Force beat HBP this weekend, but at least it was only the one weekend. The overall total for HBP’s box office will surely beat G-Force in the end. Come on guys, let’s all go watch HBP many more times! :D I’m going to watch it in IMAX on Friday! So excited!

Also I just want to add: I work at the Disney Store and have to watch/listen to the trailer for G-force like 50 times every time I work, and let me tell you: It definitely looks like one of the stupidest movies ever. I’m sorry for anyone who actually wants to see it. I love Disney and all, but I don’t know WHAT they were thinking when they created that film. shakes head sadly

Posted by Mera004 on July 27, 2009, 05:30 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

$627 million is awesome!! Well they got some money from me during the past weekend since I went to go see it for the second time… so I did my part to help the movie. :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 27, 2009, 05:31 PM report to moderator

"I think Divination seems very woolly... A lot of guesswork, if you ask me."[br]"There was nothing woolly about the Grim in that cup!" said Ron hotly.[br]"You didn't seem quite so confident when you were telling Harry it was a sheep," said Hermione coolly