Half-Blood Prince Slips Domestically, Still Leads World Wide Box Office with 627 Million to Date

HBP Film
July 27, 2009, 08:03 AM

Media reports were quick to trumpet the news that Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince slipped to number two at domestic box office sales, with the new Disney film "G-Force" nabbing the top spot.  Variety reports however that HBP continues to do remarkably well both domestic and notably on the international front as the industry magazine reports: "Half-Blood Prince" remained the worldwide leader, earning a magical $84.4 million internationally for a total haul of $627.1 million. That’s the top pace for the "Potter" franchise. Domestic gross was an estimated $30 million from 4,325 runs.

The LA Times also points out that while HBP "declined 61%. 2007's "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," which also opened on a Wednesday in July, fell 57.8% on its second weekend. As of Sunday, the total domestic gross for "Half-Blood Prince" was $221.8 million. Accounting for the 9% rise in ticket prices over the last two years, that puts it about $5 million behind "Order of the Phoenix" at the same point. The new movie does have one disadvantage, however: It's playing at only four Imax locations, whereas "Order of the Phoenix" was at 91. The large-size screens carry higher ticket prices and tend to lose business at a slow pace." The newspaper also reminds us that this week, Half-Blood Prince will indeed be opening on 162 IMAX screens.

Finally the newspaper says that HBP "cost $250 million to produce and about $155 million to market and distribute. Since studios keep about half of their films' ticket sales, Warner Bros. is likely to break even on the theatrical run of "Half-Blood Prince" and profit handsomely on the DVD and in other markets."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

I find it ironic that, after all the advertising money they spent, G-Force only made just $2.2 million more domestically in its opening weekend than Harry Potter made in its second. Yes, only $2.2mil, which isn’t a lot as tickets go.

Posted by laizeohbeets on July 28, 2009, 07:35 AM report to moderator
Micleakyavatar_thumb

How could farting, FBI-agent HAMSTERS (guinea-pigs, whatever!) beat Half-Blood Prince? There is something rotten in the state of Denmark!!

Posted by shellymione {WBM} on July 28, 2009, 07:40 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Lets see how much G Force brings in next week…

Posted by Won_Two on July 28, 2009, 11:30 AM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

Hmm I hadnt heard of G-Force until I read this article. Why is the media always quick to report what they consider to be a failing? Like, they were quick to report HBP slips domestically. I guess a movie cant stay at the top all the time. And, HBP made a huge amount of money in its opening week.
But wow … it took $155 million to market HBP :o I had no idea so much money is involved in movie marketing.

Posted by Moose_Starr on July 28, 2009, 11:43 AM report to moderator

I’m not too worried about HBP slipping to #2. OOtP slipped to number 2 on its second weekend. It was beaten by I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry and it also had a big drop in its second weekend (58%). Thanks to a huge opening day, HBP is still ahead by 13 million or so. Hopefully, IMAX will give the sales a boost.

About breaking even…. If it cost 405 million to make HBP and the film studio recoups about 50% of it… HBP would need to make around 810 million to break even?? I think HBP will make at least 900 million so I think it will make a profit even before DVD sales.

Posted by rockpaper on July 28, 2009, 06:13 PM report to moderator
250px-gellert_grindelwald_and_albus_dumbledore_thumb

hehe maybe i’ll watch G-Force :]

Posted by TheTom K* *SQUEE* on July 29, 2009, 08:08 AM report to moderator
250px-gellert_grindelwald_and_albus_dumbledore_thumb

but still,, HBP is always number one haha

Posted by TheTom K* *SQUEE* on July 29, 2009, 08:09 AM report to moderator
Wicca_thumb

This mad me sad when I first saw it. How could that s**t movie out rank my Harry? I was told that it might be an unadjusted gross total that includes the cost of the glasses needed for the 3D experience.

Posted by Brosia, OoM 2 [WBM] on July 29, 2009, 03:41 PM report to moderator
Tabandtrav_thumb

I can’t believe that stupid guinea pig movie beat HBP. I have seen it twice already, and am going back tomorrow! I am doing my part to take those guinea pigs down!

Posted by hedwigsrevenge {WBM!} on July 30, 2009, 12:26 PM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

A lot of money ….. hope it get’s back to 1st! :)

It’s still doing well though!

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Harry's got a long way to go before he finishes this tournament," she said seriously. "If that was the first task, I hate to think what's coming next."[br]"Right little ray of sunshine, aren't you?" said Ron. "You and Professor Trelawney should get toget