Harry and Twilight, Together Tomorrow at NYPL

Leaky
Posted by: Melissa
July 31, 2009, 10:33 PM

Tomorrow, at the New York Public Library on 42nd Street in Manhattan, there will be a discussion between myself and the webmaster of The Twilight Lexicon on Harry Potter, Twilight, and all things inbetween. It's going to be a lot of fun so if you're in the area (and over 18, as per Children's Lit Cafe organization's rules), come check it out:

Children's Literary Cafe
New York Public Library (42nd Street side, between 5th and 6th Ave)
2pm

Very sorry for the late notice, and I hope to see you there!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Leaky News

Screen_shot_2010-06-07_at_7

I’d love to hear this as well! If not the whole thing, at the very least feature the best parts on PotterCast. It’s no secret that I’m no Twilight fan whatsoever, but seeing the two mix at this level would be very interesting regardless.

Posted by Awakened on August 01, 2009, 03:23 AM report to moderator
1resize_thumb

Twilight is going down. It can’t hold a candle to Potter. The characters, the plot, and the writing of Potter are all miles and miles ahead of the pitiful dribble that is Twilight.

Posted by ibecbec on August 01, 2009, 03:26 AM report to moderator
Infinitus_avatar_thumb

This does sound really interesting. I wish that I could go, but there would be absolutely no way for me to get to NYC by tomorrow. I do agree with others that it would be cool if it is recorded for those that can’t attend. I love both book series, even though they completely different from one another (which is why I hate it when they are compared to one other). I am going to use a quote from a woman at LeakyCon because she said it better than I could ever describe it. She said something along the lines that “Harry Potter is your soulmate and Twilight is that incredibly hot weekend fling.” This pretty much sums up my feelings of the two book series. I have been to six HP cons (in various countries), have multiple HP tattoos, and spent thousands of dollars and hours on HP and things related to HP, things that I really doubt that I will be doing for Twilight. -——————— I find the people (and the media) that want to start a fandom war between Harry Potter and Twilight immature and, to be quite honest, pathetic. I know that fans of one book might not like the other, but calling the other “stupid” or “gross” or any other of these little names is both juvenile and rude. I would think that Harry Potter fans (and Twilight fans) would be able to state their dislike without being insulting and disrespectful.

Posted by Miss Freewind on August 01, 2009, 03:26 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

That sounds so cool.

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on August 01, 2009, 04:14 AM report to moderator
Harry_and_ginny_thumb

I wish i was in NY for this! I hope we get a detailed report on what happens =)

Posted by AbiDumbledore on August 01, 2009, 04:59 AM report to moderator
Siriusblack_thumb

this news pisses me off! why oh why they have to mix the brilliant magical amazing HP with that stupid book!? they’re totally different! Grr!

Posted by Shalanarah on August 01, 2009, 05:29 AM report to moderator
119152761_thumb

This looks cool. Wish I could see it. Any chance of it on an episode of PotterCast?

Posted by butterbeer bottle on August 01, 2009, 05:31 AM report to moderator

Oh no, seriously? And people wonder why the media constantly compares the two.

Posted by WickedLoz on August 01, 2009, 06:23 AM report to moderator
All-voldemort-needs_thumb

I absolutely agree with goodegogo: NOTHING can beat HP! NOTHING!!!! I read all the Twilight books. They are good. But They can’t be compared with HP! HP is more interesting, there are less cliche and the story is much more difficult to predict while reading the first book! :)))))

Posted by Pollytomat on August 01, 2009, 06:37 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

barfs twilight barfs again oh god make it stop!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on August 01, 2009, 06:48 AM report to moderator
Dscn1338_thumb

This would be interesting to listen to! Please do record!!!

Posted by star_fli on August 01, 2009, 07:03 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

Melissa please, please PLEASE crush the Twilight guy to the ground!!

And is there anyway that this could be recored for Pottercast??? That would be really awesome to hear and laugh at!

(Sorry my pure hatred for Twilght is making me come over all Slytherinish!)

Bookworm_thumb

This sounds great! I’d love to be able to go, since based on who is participating, it sounds like it will be an intelligent discussion, rather than the immature name-calling that tends to take place in comments every time the two series are mentioned together.

I’m tempted to jump in my car right now and head down, but as the car has been giving me problems, I’m not sure it’s up for the 4 hr drive. Oh well, I will look forward to hearing about the event later.

Posted by Bookworm Jen on August 01, 2009, 07:44 AM report to moderator
Demons_and_angels_rotating_thumb

Oooohhhh I would love to hear it too!!! Can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE record it??? There is no way I can get on a plane to NY for this …
I haven’t read the Twilight series yet (still waiting for my cousin to lend me her original versions) because I don’t want the translated stuff, but I admit I’m really curious. Also, why do people have to bad-mouth the series? Geez, if you don’t like it it’s fine, it’s not a reason to talk meanly about things! Don’t you feel hurt when you read/hear people talking badly about HP? Don’t do the same they do!

Hope you have a great time tonight Melissa!

Posted by aras on August 01, 2009, 08:14 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

o wow! amazing! I want the video!

Posted by Matea on August 01, 2009, 08:50 AM report to moderator

"Here," Moody muttered... "Read quickly and memorize."[br]Harry looked down at the piece of paper. The narrow handwriting was vaguely familiar. It said: [i]The headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix may be found at number twelve, Grimmauld Place, Londo