Behind the Scenes: A Look at Creative Packaging for Weasley Wheezes in Half-Blood Prince

HBP Film
August 12, 2009, 03:56 PM

There are new looks online today at some of the packaging for products found in Weasley Wheezes joke shop, as seen in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Creative Review has this look (and here in our galleries) at some of the packaging for humorous products such as "Magical Mustache Miracle Stubble Grow" and "Anti Gravity Hats" and more, with the designer Nicholas Saunders saying:

"I was briefed to work on the Weasleys Wizarding Wheezes originally," Saunders continues. "I was also asked to come up with a number of names for more  products (such as Anti Gravity Hats) to adorn the shelves. Then after the product names were approved and cleared I used the names as a base to start the designs. When the boxes were ready they were printed on mass up to 400 then they were placed on boxes of all different shapes and sizes. Then after this stage the set dressers took them to fill three storeys [sic] of shop shelves in the shop on the Diagon Alley set."

On his personal website, the designer also says he is at work again on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Upclose_of_me_thumb

FIRST!! So cool! :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on August 12, 2009, 04:03 PM report to moderator
Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

Hmmm… spoilers… To read or not to read? Ιδου η απορια.

Posted by Mr. Brightside on August 12, 2009, 04:04 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Cool stuff…. I loved the tightrope walking Umbridge… “I WILL Have Order!”

Posted by Won_Two on August 12, 2009, 04:14 PM report to moderator

Graphic Designer nerd alert!! looooove it! That stuff is amazing….I wish I could have been part of that design team!

Posted by Gryffindor51 on August 12, 2009, 04:16 PM report to moderator
Dscn1747_thumb

I am impressed. I figured that most of the store would have been CG. Must be an amazing set to see in person.

Posted by Gidge on August 12, 2009, 04:16 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

cooooooooooooool!!!!!!!!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on August 12, 2009, 04:17 PM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

@Gidge, according to James and Oliver Phelps, the shop was 99% real. I got to interview the twins when they were in Finland for the HBP premiere and asked them specifically about the things we see in Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes. They said that the only CGI stuff in the shop were the fireworks and some similar things that could not have been made for real, everything else was real. The Umbridge on the trick wire was real, as was the guy walking up the wall, etc.

Posted by MischiefManaged on August 12, 2009, 04:22 PM report to moderator
Lunagreen_thumb

Those are pretty sweet :) the Salty Silver Drops look interesting…i like that design

Posted by Flora Lovegood {<3WBM<3} on August 12, 2009, 04:24 PM report to moderator
Imgres_1__thumb

That would be an awesome job to have. Can’t wait for the movie!

Posted by mjkalldaway (ROAR) on August 12, 2009, 04:25 PM report to moderator
Nancysnow3_thumb

Neat! :D

Posted by HPhorsegirl on August 12, 2009, 04:26 PM report to moderator
Laughing_dan_thumb
2027 Points

why would he need to come up with more names? could he just do canery creams and tongue ton toffey and extendable ears and headless hats and stuff like that? why come up with new ones with the origional ones are so much cooler?

Posted by sunlitdays (ROAR) on August 12, 2009, 04:27 PM report to moderator
Hbp_movie_thumb

I’m sure they just needed more to fill up all the extra space on the walls. I’m sure that the Weasleys themselves had more than just those few products we know the name of. I am just amazed at the amount of details in all the sets!

Posted by Blatcher(ROAR) on August 12, 2009, 04:31 PM report to moderator

Can we buy them?

Posted by Mew5645 on August 12, 2009, 04:44 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

WWW barely had any screen time :( I could probably spend ages looking at all the things in that shop.

Posted by Christine on August 12, 2009, 04:51 PM report to moderator

Thats really cool!!

Posted by impoohnfrenz on August 12, 2009, 05:01 PM report to moderator

"...you don't like dementors, do you, Albus?" said Moody with a sardonic smile.[br]"No," said Dumbledore calmly, "I'm afraid I don't. I have long felt the Ministry is wrong to ally itself with such creatures."