Dan Radcliffe Does Not Want to be A Hobbit

Radcliffe
August 18, 2009, 10:18 AM

The author of the LA Times Hero Complex Blog recently went to Leavesden studios for a series of interviews with cast members on the set of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows which are due later this fall. While there, Geoff Boucher spoke to actor Dan Radcliffe regarding the persistent rumors that Dan was on the short list to be cast in the upcoming film production of "The Hobbit." In this new interview, Dan firmly states he has no interest in the project with "any wizards in it. "I'd have to say, 'Thanks but no thanks,' not that anyone has asked me. Honestly, I don't think they would want me anyway, it's just too close. Whatever I do next, I don't think there will be any wizards in it!"

Dan also weighs in on who he think a good candidate for the part of the beloved young Hobbit Bilbo Baggins: "James McAvoy is fantastic. I think he should play it. I've done the fantasy-film thing. Actually, so has he, with the 'Chronicles of Narnia,' of course. But I've done it for longer. He can take over. I'm done. I don't think anybody involved in that would want me to, either."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Images_4__thumb

The Hobbit was my favourite Tolkein book. I can’t imagine Dan being anything but Harry Potter. I’d like to see him make it in another movie though and be known for something other than Harry Potter.

Posted by crazyforSeverus on August 18, 2009, 04:44 PM report to moderator
Thistletopiary_thumb

Dan’s done plenty of other things, at this point, and not another wizard in the bunch. Good for him, I say. I want to see him in wildly different things… but something (else, besides “David Copperfield”) on the the US public TV’s “Masterpiece,” so that I can see it first-run!

Posted by bettb [ITC!] on August 18, 2009, 05:04 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

if he did play a hobbit than people who are not such big fans like us would get the movies mixed up! errrrrrrrrrr maybe not. actually what ever dan does is good.

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on August 18, 2009, 05:06 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_half_blood_prince2_thumb

As much as a harry potter fan I am, I think that somebody shorter and older should play Bilbo Baggins or the other hobbits.

Posted by Glowingnargle on August 18, 2009, 05:14 PM report to moderator
148706_thumb

I think that is a wise decision on his part.

Posted by Snape's Half-Blood Princess on August 18, 2009, 05:41 PM report to moderator
Iconator_04e9497c4d2be426fe2888b16a16f53d_thumb

lol, i can’t imagine him playing a hobbit ;D

Posted by RaWr...WeReWoLf on August 18, 2009, 05:49 PM report to moderator

I’ve read the hobbit and I don’t think Dan would be a good hobbit, so I think he made a good choice in staying out of it. I don’t have anything against Dan, but still…though I wouldn’t want to be a hobbit either.

~WR’s

Posted by Werewolves Rule on August 18, 2009, 05:55 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

I don’t blame Dan for wanting to leave all the wizardry behind him. Harry Potter has been in his life for so long that he probably wants to do something different… which is fine with me. :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on August 18, 2009, 05:56 PM report to moderator
Gatinho_thumb

hahahaha SHORT list! rlol….. Oh boy…. Sue you’ve made my day!

Posted by Carol Carvalho on August 18, 2009, 05:57 PM report to moderator
Z_thumb

i think james mcAvoy would make a better role as a hobbit. i mean, from mr. tumnus to baggins makes total sense.

Posted by chocolaterabbits on August 18, 2009, 06:46 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_half_blood_prince_1__thumb

Yeah he does sound pretty anxious about being typecasted. When he moves on to other things i hope he never forgets which series made him!

Posted by chanman on August 18, 2009, 06:53 PM report to moderator

Lol, cant imagine him as a hobbit

Posted by madman1277 on August 18, 2009, 07:07 PM report to moderator
Dscn0187_thumb

I just can’t picture Dan as a hobbit…so i’m glad he doesn’t want the part. Can’t wait to see what he does do after Potter though.

Posted by Laura Keaton [WBM!] on August 18, 2009, 07:37 PM report to moderator
Normal_hp_actors_thumb

I don’ t think Dan lothes Harry Pottert but I do understand why he doesn’t want to be in the “Hobbit”.

Posted by CandyCane2304 on August 18, 2009, 07:47 PM report to moderator
Hbp_movie_thumb

Who wouldn’t want to be a hobbit lol

Posted by Blatcher(ROAR) on August 18, 2009, 08:09 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Aaah... pain beyond pain, my friends; nothing could have prepared me for it. I was ripped from my body, I was less than spirit, less than the meanest ghost... but still, I was alive. What I was, even I do not know... I, who have gone further than anybody