Dan Radcliffe Does Not Want to be A Hobbit

Radcliffe
August 18, 2009, 10:18 AM

The author of the LA Times Hero Complex Blog recently went to Leavesden studios for a series of interviews with cast members on the set of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows which are due later this fall. While there, Geoff Boucher spoke to actor Dan Radcliffe regarding the persistent rumors that Dan was on the short list to be cast in the upcoming film production of "The Hobbit." In this new interview, Dan firmly states he has no interest in the project with "any wizards in it. "I'd have to say, 'Thanks but no thanks,' not that anyone has asked me. Honestly, I don't think they would want me anyway, it's just too close. Whatever I do next, I don't think there will be any wizards in it!"

Dan also weighs in on who he think a good candidate for the part of the beloved young Hobbit Bilbo Baggins: "James McAvoy is fantastic. I think he should play it. I've done the fantasy-film thing. Actually, so has he, with the 'Chronicles of Narnia,' of course. But I've done it for longer. He can take over. I'm done. I don't think anybody involved in that would want me to, either."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Snarry_thumb

Umm… I know I wouldn’t want to be a hobbit either, though James McAvory WOULD do a good job.

Posted by /Sav-vySlasher/ on August 19, 2009, 07:37 AM report to moderator
Groucho2_thumb

But when they get around to remaking the HP tales for BBC (won’t happen in my lifetime!), he should play Snape, which turns out to be the real juicy role

Posted by budb on August 19, 2009, 08:54 AM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

It’s weird trying imagine Dan as a hobbit. I think he deserves a change from playing a wizard for a long time so I totally agree with him.

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on August 19, 2009, 09:13 AM report to moderator
Q3_thumb

I think after a decade of Harry Potter, he deserves to take a break from it. He’s already done well in the side projects he’s done.
I wouldn’t wanna see h im in The HObbit, because those are just two fanbases you don’t cross LOL. But I can understand his reasoning.

Posted by KennedyJames on August 19, 2009, 10:06 AM report to moderator
Baron_haru___shall_we_dance____by_jasminealexandra_thumb

can you see him as a hobbit

Posted by Ganduean-Vampiress on August 19, 2009, 10:12 AM report to moderator
Closeupoftriohbp_thumb

I think that Dan is done with the magic in films so far. He probably would like a rest from it until something as good as HP comes along. Him being typecast wouldn’t happen since he has done other things but you know how people are. I think he would make a good one but he is right…let someone else do it for a change.

Posted by beewell on August 19, 2009, 10:24 AM report to moderator
Msn_thumb

Can’t wait to see the Hobbit :) But I can see why he wouldn’t want to do it

Posted by HermioneRon4ever on August 19, 2009, 10:27 AM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

@KennedyJames, LOL, I absolutely adore HP and I absolutely adore LOTR and The Hobbit. So no, you can quite easily cross over those two fandoms :-D Dumbledore and Gandalf are the two greatest wizards of all time, I love Harry, Ron, Hermione, Fred, George and the Order members etc just as much as I love Frodo and the other Hobbitses and Aragorn and the rest of the Fellowship, etc.

That said, I’m not sure how I would feel if some of the most notable actors in the HP franchise crossed over to The Hobbit. Rob Pattinson seems to have done ok when he jumped from the Potterworld to Twilight, but he was never a major character in the HP films anyway. If someone like Dan, Rupert (though I’m sure he’d make a great hobbit, LOL) or Emma, or someone like Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith or Michael Gambon jumped from HP to The Hobbit, it would feel very very weird. Just like it would have been very weird to see some LOTR actor in a major role in the HP movies.

Posted by MischiefManaged on August 19, 2009, 10:50 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

aww :) such a sweetiepie :) :P
the title was sooo funny!!! i was like : Dan Radcliffe does not want to be a Hobbit? Why ever not?!
:P
i luv James McAvoy! hes really good in Narnia and Atonement!!! :)

I-quote_ravenclaw0183_thumb

I don’t think he’d make a good hobbit.

Posted by LulubelleI {WBM} on August 19, 2009, 12:06 PM report to moderator

I think I would want to pursue different roles and stories and understand Dan’s reluctance.

Posted by Phylis {ROAR} on August 19, 2009, 12:20 PM report to moderator

For me Dan is not Harry Potter….he is ‘the actor’ who I love watching him
portray that character,bring him to life …..but he isn’t actually him. I think he would also make a terrific Hobbit but am so glad he isn’t concidering it…..he needs to move on …after the HP series is complete ,to different projects ,of all kinds ,with all kinds of character.But getting in another series and portraying another
fantasy character isn’t one of them…..anytime soon…. I hope.

Posted by Jeannine on August 19, 2009, 12:58 PM report to moderator
Gryffindor_thumb

I think James McAvoy would make a great Bilbo.

Posted by Lou_Lovegood [ROAR!!!] on August 19, 2009, 02:30 PM report to moderator
090816_mikagryffindor_thumb

Ha ha, I find it amusing that even a movie with just one wizard (Gandalf) would turn him off XD

Posted by Mika Maxwell on August 19, 2009, 04:23 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

Dan’s already proved he can play other roles with his work in Equus, Decemeber Boys, and My Boy Jack. So I’m sure he’s anxious to stretch his acting legs even more when HP ends.

The Hobbit is completely different from HP, but it’s also the same genre.

Posted by cghambright on August 19, 2009, 05:21 PM report to moderator

[Snape] was blasting rosebushes apart, his expression most ill-natured. Squeals issued from many of the bushes, and dark shapes emerged from them.[br]"Ten points from Ravenclaw, Fawcett!" Snape snarled as a girl ran past him. "And ten points from Hufflepu