Box Office Watch: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Continues Success on International Front

HBP Film
August 31, 2009, 11:47 AM

For those keeping track at home, we have a quick update today regarding box office success for Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. While faring well here in the US, the sixth installment in the Harry Potter series continues to have very impressive box office sum totals due to international showings.  ScreenDaily reports:

"Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince became the third biggest film in the series worldwide after adding $7.7m from 5,000 screens in 61 markets through Warner Bros Pictures International (WBPI) for $610.5m overseas and $904.9m globally. Greece was the final territory to receive the sixth episode in the family franchise and delivered an excellent $1.9m from 135 screens that was a clear number one and scored the biggest launch of the year.

Latest figures put Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince on $80.8m in the UK, $79.4m in Japan, $60.9m in Germany, $51.6m in France, $31.7m in Australia, $27m in Italy, $24.1m in China, $21.4m in Mexico, $19.6m in Spain, $18.6m in Brazil, and $18.4m in Russia."

You can also see slightly different numbers here (international here) from Box Office Mojo.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Blastoid_thumb

The basis for 95% is the money made (as reported from numerous outlets), taking into account the change in the dollar relative to the Euro and (especially) the Pound, with a small allowance for inflation. The Pound in particular really has plummeted relative to the US dollar since 2007, so Prince is making a lot fewer US$ from the UK even though it is making about the same number of L.

But this is really good for a sequel: remember, sales dropped 15-20% in most countries after the first film. Indeed, a lot of Hollywood types did not think that the series would last much longer after the big box office drop then.

Posted by Wimsey on August 31, 2009, 02:42 PM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

Well done HP!!!! That’s great!
What a lot of money!

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on August 31, 2009, 02:53 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

I’m still waiting for the final goal. beat OOTP!

Posted by Matea on August 31, 2009, 02:55 PM report to moderator

I’ve been following box office mojo and assume HBP will eventually make a little bit more than Order ultimately, comparing both US and World Wide gross receipts. Which means after making progressively less with each sequel, starting with Goblet, each film has been making more than the previous ones. I assume HP7a and 7b will continue that trend, with the last one maybe even surpassing Sorcerer’s Stone (without adjusting for inflation though…)

Posted by dragonfrog on August 31, 2009, 02:56 PM report to moderator

In fact, just checked, HPB has surpassed OOTP in US receipts – still has a ways to go Internationally though.

Posted by dragonfrog on August 31, 2009, 02:59 PM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

That’s great!! Good for Harry Potter!! XD XD

Msn_thumb

Awesome!!! It’s still showing at the theatre near me until Thursday, I’m hoping to go see it before then :D

Posted by HermioneRon4ever on August 31, 2009, 03:15 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

well it was an awesome movie!

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on August 31, 2009, 03:19 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Wow…

Posted by Christine on August 31, 2009, 04:05 PM report to moderator
Dhrandh_thumb

awsome :D

Posted by Mosu on August 31, 2009, 04:21 PM report to moderator
Blastoid_thumb

Prince has made more $$$ than Order has made, but Prince still has sold fewer tickets than Order has made. Order sold about 42.5 million tickets, whereas Prince has sold about 40.5 million tickets. Prince will probably sell another million tickets or so.

What that really tells us is that Order left a big audience interested in seeing Prince. How good Prince was (or was not) was not too relevant. After all, look at Transformers 2: that sold 33% more tickets than Prince despite being awful according to both critics and audiences. Why? Because more people liked the first Transformers movie than liked the prior HP films.

Posted by Wimsey on August 31, 2009, 04:25 PM report to moderator
Hpmaggie2_copy2_thumb

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it for the 9th (yes, 9th!) time this past weekend with my husband (who was only seeing it for the second time), that the theater was fairly crowded. We have two theaters in our area. The one at the mall is down to three showings a day, and the other one is only showing it in IMAX now. On several of the viewings I’ve been to the theaters were pretty empty, so seeing it so full last weekend was nice. It gives me hope that it may stick around at least a few more weeks.

My personal suspicion on the difference between OoTP’s sales and HBP’s has to do with the delay in the IMAX release, which goes back to WB’s ultimate stupidity in changing the overall release date. The IMAX release had to be delayed because of it, and I think that a lot of people who would have seen it in IMAX decided not to wait, saw it in the regular theater (at the cheaper ticket prices) and since they’d already seen it, opted not to go back and see it again in IMAX.

Personally, I was not too impressed with the IMAX or 3D aspects of the film, compared to the regular version. I LOVE the movie, don’t get me wrong, but there was nothing in the IMAX version that made me think I wanted to see it that way more than once. I’m perfectly happy to continue seeing it in the regular theater for the cheaper prices. OoTP, which I did NOT care for much at all, was still more worth seeing in IMAX than HBP, as they picked a better spot in the film for the 3D stuff and the movie overall looked better in IMAX. HBP for some reason seemed extra dark and hard to see in IMAX, plus the 3D part was nothing special. They should have saved the 3D for Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes or Quidditch or the cave.

None of that probably has anything to do with the actual number of tickets sold, but I do think it affected the total box office, since many of the opening weekend people would have seen it in IMAX first, giving the sales figures a boost.

In any case, I expect DH 1 and definitely DH 2 will surpass them all to become the highest grossing films of all time. The anticipation is already nearly killing me!

Posted by Headmistress LemonFaerie on August 31, 2009, 04:48 PM report to moderator
Closeupoftriohbp_thumb

Saw the movie twice and would have loved to see it again but it was pulled from the theater here. I think it is so popular because it was pushed back until July and fans couldn’t wait to see it. Of course, being the sixth movie in the sequel, most fans could have seen it more than once or twice. That makes WB really happy I am sure!

Posted by beewell on August 31, 2009, 05:01 PM report to moderator
Phpthumb

I have never had such an amazing cinema experience, Half blood prince was soo exiting !!!

Posted by Mugglemadness on August 31, 2009, 05:47 PM report to moderator
User170224_pic7538_1238947280_thumb

super de-duper awesomeness! rock on hbp! i mena i didn’t like the film,becuase it wasn’t like the book (to much romance) and i could go on and on about things that annoyed me (the burrow,no funeral,no ron and hermione hug,the harry ginny “kiss” ) but whatever.still thats awesome! YAYYYYYY hbp!

Posted by Peace.Love.Potter ♥ on August 31, 2009, 05:47 PM report to moderator

"How could Rita Skeeter have known...?"[br]"Known what?" said Ron quickly. "You [i]haven't[/i] been mixing up Love Potions, have you?"[br]"Don't be stupid," Hermione snapped...