Press Conference with HP Cast and Crew at Wizarding World Today (Updated)
Jun 17, 2010
Posted by EdwardTLC
This morning, a series of press conferences with the cast of the Harry Potter films and the crew behind both the Wizarding World attraction and Harry Potter films will be taking place. Leaky is Live Tweeting the event right here, and will be updating this post with the latest information as it comes online. Stay tuned for photos, videos, and a first hand account of all of today’s events shortly!
First, a panel with the crew behind the park and films speaks:
- J. K. Rowling’s involvement is, “Critical to [the] process.” Producer David Heyman adds, “She is the most generous of collaborators.”
- David Heyman describes the Wizarding World as “feeling like a unified space.”
- Alan Gilmore relates, “Something I never ever thought I would do is build a theme park.”
- The Three Broomsticks is “One of the most complicated buildings ever constructed in a theme park.”
- Stuart Craig: “Ten years ago, she gave us a map” that lays out the world.
- No current plans for any expansions.
- David Barron comments, “We’re sitting in the legacy really.
Actors Dan Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Tom Felton, and Michael Gambon were interviewed next, and spoke about their impressions of the park, as well as the production on the films ending. On the subject of the “Deathly Hallows” film wrapping, Mr. Radcliffe commented on a short film put together by the crew of the film, showing the last sixteen months of production. His response to this film: “I don’t think there is any shame in saying we all cried like babies.” Other highlights:
- Rupert is most excited about the Pub, while Dan is a fan of the frozen Butterbeer, Rock Cakes, and Treacle Fudge.
- Michael Gambon jokes he does not abide by the safety rules his character gives during the ride.
- Gambon was scared of the Dueling Dragons ride. Knew it was a mistake as soon as he got on.
- Felton and Radcliffe will return to the park if they ever feel homesick for Leavesden Studios.
Next, actors Bonnie Wright, Matt Lewis, Warwick Davis, and James and Oliver Phelps took the stage to give their impressions on the park, as well as talk a bit about wrapping the Harry Potter films. Highlights:
- Bonnie Wright is happy they can “give a park to the fans… to experience what we’ve had is amazing.”
- Warwick Davis sums the park up in three words: “This is magic.”
- James Phelps feels it is surreal you can say “I’ll meet you in the Three Broomsticks for a drink.”
- Bonnie Wright and James Phelps comment that, unlike on set, you can take things home from here.
- Cast has raided the shops at Wizarding World. Warwick Davis’ hotel room looks like Ollivanders. Matt Lewis wants the Gryffindor Sword.
- Matt Lewis believes the States, without its castles, is the right place for the HP theme park.
- Warwick Davis says finishing Potter films felt like no other film he’s done before. It was very emotional.
Check back to Leaky for complete details on the press conference, pictures, and video!
Update: A number of photos have made their way online from the press conference this morning. Those images can be seen right here in our Image Galleries.