J.K. Rowling Donates Signed Set of Harry Potter Books to Helping Haiti Heal
January 22, 2010, 02:30 PM
Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling has donated a full U.K. edition set of her books, as well as a handwritten card, to Helping Haiti Heal, the multifandom donation drive kicking off tomorrow via Webcast
This extremely rare item joins more than 100 special gifts, including a signed book by author Neil Gaiman, five dedicated books by Sir Terry Pratchett, original conception art from the film Where the Wild Things Are, and much, much more.
Join us at 2 p.m. Eastern tomorrow at thehpalliance.org/haiti
to find out more about how to donate and stand a chance to receive any of these amazing gifts! All donations will benefit Partners in Health, an humanitarian organization in Haiti that has been aiding those most ravaged by the January 12 earthquake.
This four hour live event, hosted by HPA's PotterWatch
, Hogwarts Radio
, and FictionAlley
, will feature a donation drive where donors have the opportunity to receive thank you gifts based on certain donation levels, live performances from many wizard rockers; leaders in fan communities; personal interviews with Haitian-Americans about the importance of giving to Partners In Health; human rights activists; a representative from MIT's Media Lab discussing ways that we can donate our time using new media; and much more.
Help spread the word by Tweeting the following:
We're Helping Haiti Heal - learn about a huge fandom event happening Sat. from 2pm to 6pm ET! http://bit.ly/5603s6 #hhh
A major part of this event will be raising funds to help those in Haiti through Partners In Health. Countless fan sites, wizard rockers, authors, entertainers, and organizations have donated to this donation drive. As part of this effort, Leaky has donated:
- A full access pass to LeakyCon 2011, worth well over $300
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Deluxe Edition
- Rare copy of Jingle Spells 1
- Free Jingle Spells 2 and 3
- Personalized Harry, A History by author Melissa Anelli
- Guest spots on PotterCast; outgoing voicemails and birthday messages from the PotterCasters
- Harry Potter LEGO Game (upon game's release)
- PotterCast posters
Those items represent a small selection the many amazing, unique, and rare gifts are available to donors. A few of the 100 plus items include:
- Five signed and dedicated copies of novels by bestselling author Terry Pratchett.
- Signed books from Time Magazine's Lev Grossman, Movies in 15 Minutes author Cleolinda Jones, and Urban fantasy novelist Lilith Saintcrow, as well as young adult authors Karen Healey, Aprilynne Pike, Pam Bachorz, Lisa Mantchev, and many more.
- A signed Mega Book Pack of 30 novels from The 2009 Debutantes, including: Malindo Lo, Saundra Mitchell, Sarah Ockler, Michelle Zink, and Jackson Pearce.
- Guest spots on PotterCast and Hogwarts Radio.
- Busted keyboard used by Harry and the Potters at over 200 shows.
- Signed CDs from such wizard rock bands as The Remus Lupins, The Whomping Willows, The Butterbeer Experience, and Oliver Boyd and the Rememberalls.
- Quality replica LightSaber based on Luke's from Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.
- $200 Gift Certificate to Infinitus 2010.
- Limited edition, artist signed, Replica Slimer from Ghostbusters.
Join us Saturday, January 23rd at 2 P.M. EST right here on Livestream
for this live, jam-packed, fundraising event. Together, we can help Haiti heal.
Ok, I know there’s no need to point out the obvious…but WOW is our fandom awesome. I wish I could donate, but I’m kind of low on money right now. I know that those of you who can donate will make a HUGE difference though. :)
I can’t wait to see how much our fandom manages to contribute to such a worthy cause!