Video: 1999 "60 Minutes Overtime" Interview with J.K. Rowling

JKR Interviews
Posted by: Rosi
November 11, 2010, 11:06 PM

In a remarkable act of time travel, CBS News' "60 Minutes Overtime" has posted a video interview with Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling conducted by Lesley Stahl in 1999. The interview took place in Edinburgh before Daniel Radcliffe had even been cast as Harry Potter. Rowling explains her writing process, sets straight rumours that she was so poor she couldn't afford paper and produces "Box 1," a cardboard box stuffed to the brim with notes. The author further spoke about her feeling that children are "grossly underestimated."

Stahl also speaks to Rowling's literary agent, Christopher Little, about finding the manuscript in the slush pile. Lastly, there is footage of Rowling reading to children in Edinburgh and answering questions, commenting that she is "writing book four at the moment and Hermione gets her first date!" The author describes the series as one huge novel, divided for the reader's convenience, into seven.

You can watch the video at this link or below:

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent JKR Interviews News

Rainbow-page2_thumb

That was the best interview! JK at her simplest. Loved it.

Posted by Josephine on November 12, 2010, 12:00 PM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

Delightful! What a great window back in time.
This was around the time when I met JKR at a book signing. She was so gracious and with a twinkle, just like Dumbledore’s, in her eyes. She signed all of the first four books for me. I’d written a poem (awful:o) to express my thanks for the wonder she’d written and they insisted on taking my address and later I received a thank you letter from her.
Later I felt a bit bad because I read how her hands would cramp from all the signings she’d done.
It was a wonderful morning!

Posted by 2tal - SpiritMagic174 on November 12, 2010, 01:46 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

This is so cool!!!!!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on November 12, 2010, 03:14 PM report to moderator
218013_10150157243293459_46389518458_6655174_5491948_n_thumb

Wooo it’s amazing, thanks !§! The interviews of Jo are treasures !§!

Posted by HogwartsHP on November 12, 2010, 03:58 PM report to moderator
20110227_001_thumb

Anyone know if this is on youtube? I want to download it and can’t from the direct link.

Posted by Bookworm_Weasley {HS} {ROAR} on November 12, 2010, 04:14 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

I love all the old statistics! AND how media savvy Jo is…she’s not!!! “I hate action figures,” and “If they are horrible tell your children not to buy them…Sorry Warner Brothers!” I love it, she was more open and funny (when she was reading she did so many more voices then when she was in the public eye, she’s now self conscience of how she sounds! she still great at reading allowed but she used to be excellent!!!!) I also love how Jo’s voice is the same and Jo’s wonderful face is the same and her personality is the same, but her appearance has CHANGED so much since then!!!! We love you Jo, you are our childhood, a permanent part of our lives, all the works!!!! I loved this flash back it was great!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on November 12, 2010, 05:46 PM report to moderator
Morse_telegrapher_thumb

FANTASTIC!! That is the absolute best interview with Jo Rowling of all that I have seen! If you haven’t seen the clip, take 14 minutes and watch it. It is well worth the time. I would like to have that on a DVD.

Posted by Phoenix1946 on November 12, 2010, 09:45 PM report to moderator
Avatar1_thumb

I remember seeing this clip many years ago. Not 1999, but perhaps about when OotP came.

Posted by Verdande on November 13, 2010, 01:55 PM report to moderator
The_same_hermy_gif_thumb

I LOVE this interview! My favorite part was the margarine :D

Posted by Potter_Puella on November 15, 2010, 08:53 PM report to moderator
Believe_in_yourself_thumb

Just a few weeks before this, I ordered the DVD. I had to check to make sure it was the same one. And it was. I like it very much. I was a bit dissapointed that the 60 Minutes barely made it to 40 minutes of actual watching time. I’m still glad I bought it, though.

Posted by Tarana on December 19, 2010, 06:27 PM report to moderator

"Sir is very kind!" he squeaked, his eyes brimming with tears again, bowing deeply to Ron. "Dobby knew sir must be a great wizard, for he is Harry Potter's greatest friend, but Dobby did not know that he was also as generous of spirit, as noble, as selfle

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014