Emma Watson Discusses Life at Brown University, Dan Radcliffe and Rupert Grint, and More

Watson
Posted by: Mel
November 27, 2010, 08:12 PM

The Daily Mail has a new article about Emma Watson (Hermione Granger), where she discusses many things, among them her experience thus far at Brown University:

On the first day at her US university - chosen over Cambridge because the latter was 'a bit Hogwarts-looking' - Emma Watson was bombarded by autograph hunters.
She was caught so unawares that she couldn't contain her shock: 'Everyone looked at me horrified, like, "Oh my God, what's wrong with her?"'
...
So how did she deal with the unwanted autograph hunters, once she had overcome her initial shock? In typical Emma Watson (and Hermione) style, it appears - with quiet determination.
She dusted herself down and decided that she would proceed as planned, on her terms. 'I just said, "I'm really sorry, but I'm here to study and I just want to be a student. Would it be OK if I don't sign, because you'll be seeing me around all the time anyway?"'
The fact that she has now completed her first year of studies is clearly something of a triumph, not least, she admits, because not a single shot of her in the shared uni bathroom has made its way onto the internet.
'One morning I was walking down the corridor from the bathroom in just a towel and I thought I must be mad, anyone could just snap me,' she says, laughing. 'But no one did. Not even when I had my birthday party. 100 people came, and not one person put a picture on Facebook.'

Watson also discusses how she thinks Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley) have changed since she first met them, and the differences in her relationship with both of them:

She remains close to both Rupert and Daniel, and seems bemused by how they have both developed.
'It's funny, they've both gone completely opposite ways. At the beginning Rupert was very confident, really chatty, very outgoing, and Dan was the quiet shy one.
'I remember at the first press conference, he was so overwhelmed by the whole thing. Now, you can't shut Dan up. He's telling jokes, he's got this incredible energy. Rupert's gone quiet. He's much more reserved.
'We are like siblings. If I'm feeling a bit anxious or I need to talk something over with someone, Dan's the one I'll go to. We had this great weekend once. We were stuck in the middle of nowhere in Scotland in this castle.
'We were both meant to be in bed and I sneaked into Dan's room and stayed up watching movies all night, drinking Coke and eating M&Ms from the minibar.
'Rupert's the guy I go to when I want to be relaxed and have a good laugh. His dressing room is like a child's wonderland with every kind of game, every kind of sweet, every kind of whatever you can imagine. I go to him if I want to snuggle up on the sofa and watch television.'
Watson also talks about the adult actors on the set of Harry Potter and what she learned from them:

She cites Helena Bonham Carter and Emma Thompson as her role models.
'I learned from Emma how to behave on a set. She remembers everyone's name, she's incredibly courteous and considerate, and she makes everyone laugh.

'It's up to the leading actors and actresses to set the tone on a film set, and the first time I saw Emma I remember thinking, "That's the kind of actress I want to be."'

Indeed, when filming finished, Emma Watson bought all the crew members a Smythson leather notebook engraved with her thanks and a quote from Dickens: 'The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again.' Emma Thompson would surely have approved.
Further on in the article Watson talks about the TV shows she watches to relax, her haircut, and juggling her schoolwork and her acting. You can read the rest of the article here. Thanks very much to Bea for the tip!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson News

Great article. She picked some admirable role models.

Posted by hewy on November 29, 2010, 04:11 PM report to moderator
Avery-vogue_thumb

I’m guessing that Brown has some kind of policy requiring Freshmen to live in campus housing? It’s almost as if she’s daring her floormates to post compromising pictures of her – though I would be surprised if the RAs in her dorm didn’t have a little talk with everyone about protecting Emma’s privacy. I preface this by saying I didn’t go to an Ivy League institution, but I can’t picture MY Freshman year in college without thinking of drunken debauchery. It’s almost sad that she’d “miss out” on that part of American uni life, LOL; though I suppose when you’re a child star you give up the right to make stupid mistakes in public. ;)

Posted by Averyfan on November 29, 2010, 07:22 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_seal_thumb

That’s really great! I’m glad she’s been able to go to college and have a normal life. Because I would have assumed that it would be worse being an actress in one of the most watched movies and going to a regular college. I’d have thought people would give her a hard time but I’m glad that she’s enjoying herself!

Posted by Jacket on November 29, 2010, 10:25 PM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

As others have said, she’s truly a class act

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on November 29, 2010, 10:53 PM report to moderator

Emma looks amazing in her short hair – it really suits her. It’s great the fab three are best of friends.

Posted by DobbyWinkyKreacher on November 30, 2010, 06:29 AM report to moderator
Picture_1_thumb

This is a nice interview! Emma is not only a brilliant actress but also a terrific role model. I look up to her a lot, as should all girls. I am glad that she is enjoying college – good luck to her!

Posted by Books_and_Cleverness on December 01, 2010, 02:22 AM report to moderator
2013-07-19_113504_thumb

Wonderful interview, it is amazing how much the three of them have matured. I hope they always stay friends and on the right path in life, they seem to be going in the right direction!

Posted by Want to be a Weasley on December 01, 2010, 06:47 PM report to moderator
Red_lips_2_thumb

Oh she’s just lovely.

Posted by LittleMonster on December 04, 2010, 06:02 AM report to moderator

That is a very good interview. It’s great that she able to go to college without having photographers following her around, and just live a normal college life.

Posted by RavenclawGirl13 on December 05, 2010, 09:29 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

Woo I’m Bea :D<3 I sent the tip XD

Posted by Beazy :) (Formerly: MidnightSun321 ) {!!ROAR!!} on December 05, 2010, 10:12 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"That power also saved you from possession by Voldemort, because he could not bear to reside in a body so full of the force he detests. In the end, it mattered not that you could not close your mind. It was your heart that saved you."