Helena Bonham Carter Talks About The "Terrifying" Bellatrix Lestrange

Bonham Carter Interviews
Posted by: Stephanie_J
November 27, 2010, 03:19 PM

A new profile from the LA Times Hero Complex blog focuses on Helena Bonham Carter and her infamous portrayal of Bellatrix Lestrange in the "Harry Potter" films.

The actress talks about her career and family, but also explains how she developed Bellatrix's character for the films.

“Bellatrix has really good fun, and she’s been a bit of surprise to me, in fact,” Bonham Carter said. “It wasn’t really there on the page. When I took it on, I found there wasn’t a huge amount to go by in the script, and I read the book and she wasn’t necessarily on the page there either, so I did ask [director] David Yates if I could bring a bit of other things or are these the Bibles? And he said yes, certainly, and apparently J.K. Rowling was very pleased with it when she saw it, and the childish dimension and the fact that she’s totally savage, that was a bit of departure.”
"I just felt she had to make an impression because there wasn’t much time in which to do so. And she had to be terrifying. She needed to be somebody you didn’t know what to feel towards. One moment she’s horribly revolting but then also weirdly sexy, maybe, or just disturbing to the mind when you watch her. There’s a lot of decaying, too, with the bad teeth. She’s been in prison for so long. The mad hair. She’s someone who has seen better times but still carries herself with the memory of what she was."
Bonham Carter also praises the crew working on the Harry Potter films and likens the experience to belonging to a "nice tribe."
“I love going back year after year. It’s refreshing. A lot of times in this business, it’s so transitory — it’s just 10 weeks here or there on a movie and then it’s over – but to see the same people over all that time, a decade, makes you feel really safe and secure. It was fantastically well-organized, the [assistant directors] are simply unbelievable, the best...It has been perfect for me, and I will miss it.”
More about Helena Bonham Carter and her thoughts about Bellatrix can be read at the LA Times. The interview also has some great information about Bonham Carter's next film, The King's Speech.

Thank you Jamie for owling!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Bonham Carter Interviews News

186087_1721944089_7979824_n_thumb

She still the best. But you know in the movie she looks so scary not the looks but the way she act. But when I watch the premiere she was so decent and a bit low voice, and when she had an interview, she will speak but just a bit. Anyway she’s so good! great actress I like the way she act. :)

Posted by blessi on November 28, 2010, 03:21 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Shes fantastic as bellatrix

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on November 28, 2010, 04:20 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

I think she’s great and I love her individuality, in real life she doesn’t conform to what people think a movie star whould look like, and I think that she’s perfect casting for Bellatrix. I really liked her comment about Bella “She’s almost like someone who’s had too many surgeries and thinks they’re beautiful but in fact has gone the way wrong. There’s a lot of people like that now.” I don’t think Helena will ever make that mistake, more power to her, she’s great.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on November 28, 2010, 06:03 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

Bellatrix is an awesome character, although one of the baddies. Helena did a fantastic job and has made her such a memorable character in the movies.

Posted by Fawkes1706 on November 28, 2010, 06:44 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

She is such a great actor and plays Bellatrix so well!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on November 28, 2010, 10:09 AM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

Yes! Bellatrix is going to even more disturbing! I’ve always admired her demeanor. She’s crazy but passionate about her work.
Her weirdness and fanatic self is what I’ve always been fascinated by. Now she’s going to push the limit! Which will be totally awesome!

781875269_029f43fa6f_thumb

yeah, she’s perfect for the part. I’m quite sure the dueling bit is in DH2

Posted by ashim_gryffindor (Roar!) on November 28, 2010, 11:02 AM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

I’m glad they picked Helena Bonham Carter she plays Bellatrix perfectly! Also glad she put a little more into the character to bring her to life.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on November 28, 2010, 01:46 PM report to moderator
Htsibwrt_thumb

she was simply born to play bellatrix! and i thought the part where she volunteered herself to kill harry at the meeting in malfoy manor at the beginning of the film then when voldemort said no she got all disappointed was absolutely hilarious….in a evil sort of way

Posted by dumbledoresman348578 on November 28, 2010, 03:30 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

Helena Bonham Carter was a great Bellatrix. Her portrayal of Bellatrix was a combination of evil, dire menace and vulnerability as well. I really want to see her in The King’s Speech. The Queen Mum was quite a lady, but a force to be reckoned with as well, and Helena will play that role to perfection.

Posted by Fresca ROAR on November 28, 2010, 03:51 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

Posted by Fresca ROAR on November 28, 2010, 03:51 PM report to moderator

LOVE IT! Best person to play Bellatrix hands down.

Posted by glow_freak on November 28, 2010, 09:03 PM report to moderator
Swans_in_love_thumb
2062 Points

I LOVE HBC- and she was great in DH1!!! Can’t wait to see more of her :)

Posted by Alice Weasley{Weasley's Queen} [ROAR!] on November 28, 2010, 11:33 PM report to moderator
19961_295278227280_850597280_3220270_6993096_n_thumb

Helena… we love you, you absolute Goddess!

Posted by AbbieAstoria on November 29, 2010, 05:00 AM report to moderator

sh’es soo good as Bellatrix! I agree with DarthKatie_Lily on how she seemed to be better this movie that’s true she seemed much creepier

Posted by DancewithaGinger on November 29, 2010, 02:43 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Harry was speeding toward the ground when the crowd saw him clap his hand to his mouth as though he was about to be sick -- he hit the field on all fours -- coughed -- and something gold fell into his hand.[br] "I've got the Snitch!" he shouted, waving i