Reports: Alexandre Desplat Returning to Score "Deathly Hallows: Part 2"

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
November 07, 2010, 02:27 PM

Reports have come online regarding the choice of composer for the second part of the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" film.  Filmonic.com is spotted a curious note in the "Deathly Hallows" website which seems to reveal that Alexandre Desplat will stay on board for the second film, and compose the "Deathly Hallows: Part II" soundtrack. The site notes:

Warner Bros. has yet to officially announce the composer for Part 2, but the official Deathly Hallows website mentions on Desplat’s bio page that he “next starts work on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2, the conclusion of the Harry Potter franchise.”
While this is an interesting note indeed, we have yet to recieve official word on whether Mr. Desplat will compose "DH: II" from WB.  Stay close to Leaky for the latest.

Thanks to MN for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

146_thumb

Damn. I wanted John Williams to come back D:

Posted by Darth Mary on November 07, 2010, 04:34 PM report to moderator
Daniel_radcliffe__rupert_grint__emma_watson_harry_potter_and_the_deathly_hallows_movie_image_1_thumb

what happened to John Williams!?!?!? Very disappointing :(

Posted by crikeyhunter on November 07, 2010, 05:06 PM report to moderator
Leonidas_cant_read_thumb

My worst fears have just been realized. God I wanted John Williams back terribly. Epic fail! Apologies to AD fans but Desplat just doesn’t have the audacity to write memorable and captivating themes and scores like say John Williams or Hans Zimmer. He physically can’t do it, and it would have been great to see Williams finish the series he started. Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 is such an important film and it needs a veteran composer who can carry the scenes in an epic and legendary way and Desplat is not that person. There is no better composer to score part 2 than Williams, bottom line.

Posted by iampadfoot1 on November 07, 2010, 05:26 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

hes ok, but i really wanted john williams to come back :’(

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on November 07, 2010, 05:26 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-deathly-hallows-trailer_thumb

this is all speculation…I will wait until 2011 to know who the heck is composing this dang movie.

Posted by PotterParish on November 07, 2010, 05:35 PM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2010-09-15_at_11

Sad day for film music :( I really hoped John Williams would complete it. Did anyone else hear ‘Leaving Hogwarts’ when they read the epilogue?

With Desplat it’s going to be some dull filler rather than an emotional piece. :(

Sigh :(

Posted by MrPlinkett on November 07, 2010, 05:45 PM report to moderator
Dream_theater__majesty_logo_thumb

its a shame john williams didnt come back for the end

Posted by chrisbDTM {ROÅR!} on November 07, 2010, 06:32 PM report to moderator
Dh-all_s-fair-in-love-and-war_thumb

If John Williams doesn’t come back, the movie will not be to its fullest. And that is what everyone has said it will be. Every single actor gave their best to this film, and if the composer can’t do that as well, then the actors’ work will all go down the drain. It won’t have been worth all their effort and sweat that they put into the movie if the music for it isn’t spectacular. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 is the epic end to a francise that has gone on for well over a decade. Without the correct and amazing ending it deserves it will not end the series positively. Desplat is an okay composer, but he will never reach the level that John Williams has, ever.

Posted by Hermione_Granger_Weasley on November 07, 2010, 06:33 PM report to moderator
Normal_dh2_articles_2011screen_0002_thumb

I thought that John Williams was confirmed a couple months ago! This is strange! I’m kinda hoping this rumor is wrong to be honest, just for the sake of having a full circle, with Williams beginning and ending the series. @MrPlinkett, I too heard teh “Leaving Hogwarts” song when reading the epilogue. I think that may be one of the biggest reasons I want John Williams to do part 2. Just so we can have that wonderful sense of closure, having the same music playing as Harry’s kids ride off on the Hogwarts Express as when he himself rode off on it at the end of his 1st year.

Posted by Bellatrix The Strange on November 07, 2010, 06:37 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

sigh. although desplat is a great composer, i really wanted JW to do it.

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on November 07, 2010, 07:02 PM report to moderator
Photo-103336_thumb_thumb

After a quick google search I think we thought John Williams was back because it was reported by WB Brazil but it was not actually confirmed that JW is back. (Sept 2010)

JW also said if it fit his schedule he’d want to be back. (Sept 2009)

I hope he’s back for DH2…i think i’d help give me closure!!

Posted by Phlegm dela Coeur on November 07, 2010, 07:07 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

I was wondering how this was going to play out. Even though I really want John Williams to finish what he started, it was going to seem weird to have two composers do music for Deathly Hallows. I mean, if they did have John do the second part then the two wouldn’t really connect like they should. Even though it is a 2 part film, it is basically the same movie. Desplat’s work is nice, but John Williams started it all so I think he should finish it. We will see how things play out I guess…

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on November 07, 2010, 07:31 PM report to moderator
146_thumb

I’m waiting until 2011 to know for sure. But I’ll be very disappointed if John Williams isn’t scoring. The movie won’t be as good as it could be, in my mind, without him.

Posted by Darth Mary on November 07, 2010, 07:35 PM report to moderator

Noooooooooo!!!!!

It has to be John Williams, it just has to be! If Williams isn’t available, Patrick Doyle (GOF) would be okay, but truly, it should be John Williams. This is a huge emotional ending and it deserves the kind of rich musical swell that Williams does so masterfully!

No offense to Desplat, but I was unimpressed with the DH1 track samples at Amazon.

Posted by Jillxoxo on November 07, 2010, 07:48 PM report to moderator
Hp6_thumb

NO!!! What happened to John Williams? He has to come back and do the score, otherwise I will be very disappointed. Personally, I think he should have done the whole series, because the other scores have not lived up to the standard that Williams set with the first three. Please, please John come back! @MrPlinkett I agree, that was definitely in mind when I read the ending. lots of tears
P.S. you have to love the picture of Hermione, it looks as if she’s horrified to hear that Desplat is doing the score for Part II

Posted by harrypotterchic02 <3ROAR!<3 on November 07, 2010, 08:05 PM report to moderator

[i]"R -- r-- riddikulus!"[/i] squeaked Neville.[br]There was a noise like a whip crack. Snape stumbled; he was wearing a long, lace-trimmed dress and a towering hat topped with a moth-eaten vulture, and he was swinging a huge crimson handbag.