Ralph Fiennes Discusses Lord Voldemort

Fiennes
Posted by: Mel
December 07, 2010, 09:13 PM

In a new article in USA Today, Ralph Fiennes (Voldemort) talks about his character in the Harry Potter films:

"He's really sort of the devil," says Fiennes, 47. "He's completely emotionally detached. He has no empathy. You find that in psychopaths."
For Fiennes, an Oscar nominee for playing a Nazi officer in 1993's Schindler's List, knowing your character's driving force is key to unlocking his potential for malice. "It's about power with Voldemort," he says. "It's an aphrodisiac for him. Power makes him feel alive."
...
Fiennes goes into Voldemort mode at the mere mention of Potter. "Daniel's very nice, but Harry Potter's a pain," says Fiennes, scowling and hissing.

Others in the Harry Potter cast weighed in on Fiennes's portrayal of Voldemort. Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) noted the presence Fiennes has while acting:

And no matter the lights, cameras and presence of dozens of crewmembers, Radcliffe was consistently unsettled by Fiennes. "When Ralph's doing his Voldemort stuff, he just really freaks me out."

Tom Felton, who plays Draco Malfoy, says he also was unnerved.
"Ralph is mesmerizing," Felton says. "He never did two takes the same. ... I had to keep reminding myself: 'Stay in character. Don't just sit there and watch his performance.' "
Even when the cameras stop, the aura of Voldemort remains.
"He dominates scenes in the film, and it's like that off the set as well," Felton says. "He's quite a charming guy. And when he opens his mouth, people listen. Let's put it this way: No one talks over him."

You can read more here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fiennes News

Dapic_thumb
I’ve never read about this guy before. It’s cool hearing him talk about his character.
Posted by ZeGrindylows on December 07, 2010, 09:24 PM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

good that we get to know him better. he was never on interviews before

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on December 07, 2010, 09:25 PM report to moderator
Pict0434_thumb

I wonder how they get his face all weird? Make-up maybe…… or maybe animations like they do for Dobby. I miss Dobby! I cried when he died. BTW I don’t know why I am talking about Dobby when this is an article about Voldemort. BTW I think it’s really clever of J.K. Rowling to unscramble Tom Riddle to Lord Voldemort. I really Like J.K. Rowling. She si the best author ever!( in my opinion)

Posted by magichik on December 07, 2010, 10:40 PM report to moderator
Pict0434_thumb

Posted by magichik on December 07, 2010, 10:40 PM report to moderator
Pict0434_thumb

Posted by magichik on December 07, 2010, 10:40 PM report to moderator
Pict0434_thumb

Posted by magichik on December 07, 2010, 10:40 PM report to moderator
Pict0434_thumb

Posted by magichik on December 07, 2010, 10:40 PM report to moderator

Good information about Voldemort. Ralph must be some actor and such a commanding presence on and off screen.

Posted by hewy on December 07, 2010, 11:47 PM report to moderator

Ralph Fiennes is an actor who really takes his roles seriously. His portrayal of Voldemort is spot on because he really understands the character. Look at how many times J.K.R. mentions “power” when referring to Voldemort in the series. It was a perfect choice of words. I realized how dedicated to this role Ralph Fiennes really was after watching the Making of Voldemort extras with the Goblet of Fire DVD. It was amazing how he could slip into and out of the character of Voldemort to demonstrate his points during the interview.

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on December 07, 2010, 11:58 PM report to moderator
Here_lies_dobby_thumb

I think it is really amazing that he always stays in character. I have never actually seen him without the voldemort makeup on. He seems like a really interesting guy.

Posted by Jenna27 on December 08, 2010, 12:48 AM report to moderator
1516_thumb

The way that they do Voldemort’s face is with CG. I saw some awesome behind the scenes shows on tv called Creating The World Of Harry Potter! You could see the dots on his face, so they can go back & put it in.

Posted by weasleytwins55 on December 08, 2010, 01:23 AM report to moderator
For_the_greater_good_thumb

Don’t they use a combination of makeup and CG? They have a part in Harry Potter Film Wizardry about it and i think they said that they use both

Posted by PeverellForever on December 08, 2010, 07:20 AM report to moderator
Normal_films_dh2_poster_001_thumb

never knew he was nominated for an oscar!!! thats something :)

Posted by Zsquared on December 08, 2010, 01:21 PM report to moderator
Harry_and_hedwig_1213081666_thumb

He really had a very powerful role!It seems to me the other actors respected him a lot

Posted by hedwig_hp ((!ROAR!)) on December 08, 2010, 02:46 PM report to moderator
20121227075238822000_thumb

Very cool article!

Posted by MossHorpione on December 08, 2010, 05:53 PM report to moderator

"What d'you mean, I'm not brave in bed?" said Harry, completely nonplussed. "What -- am I supposed to be frightened of pillows or something?"