Suit Claiming Copyright Infringement Against Bloomsbury Adds J. K. Rowling as Defendant; JKR "Saddened" by Claim

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
February 17, 2010, 03:07 PM

Bloomberg is reporting that Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling has been added as a defendant in a plagiarism lawsuit against UK Harry Potter book publisher Bloomsbury we first reported last summer. As readers will recall, the suit, filed by the estate of late children's author Adrian Jacobs, claimed that "JK Rowling copied substantial parts of the work of the late Adrian Jacobs, The Adventures of Willy the Wizard-No 1 Livid Land, and that Bloomsbury in selling the books have infringed the Estate's copyright."  Today, the estate included J. K. Rowling as a defendant in that suit, after, as the estate claims, "discovering legal cause of action against her within the last six years."

J. K. Rowling has released the following statement through her spokesman:
"I am saddened that yet another claim has been made that I have taken material from another source to write Harry. The fact is I had never heard of the author or the book before the first accusation by those connected to the author’s estate in 2004; I have certainly never read the book.  The claims that are made are not only unfounded but absurd and I am disappointed that I, and my U.K. publisher Bloomsbury, are put in a position to have to defend ourselves."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Img_2315_face0_thumb

I feel so bad for them… Having to go through that. To me it seems obvious that she wrote everything herself, but I guess not everyone thinks so…

Posted by Nicci Weasley on February 18, 2010, 01:53 AM report to moderator
Earthforeverava_thumb

These kinds of lawsuits will happen regardless, especially if the accuser is not as famous/rich compared to the accused. Unfortunately it’s now JKR’s turn. Hopefully everything will work, though the lawyers will probably be the only ones who profit from these kinds of lawsuits.

Posted by leigia on February 18, 2010, 02:40 AM report to moderator
10312009016-002_thumb

We believe in you Jo! We always will. Even a child can see that the claims against you are ridiculous!

Posted by sakuranbo07 on February 18, 2010, 04:32 AM report to moderator

Urg, I hate when people do this!!!!! Jo created something wonderful and simply beautiful and now others are jealous and want to do everything to mess things up! That’s not fair, she doesn’t deserve that!!!! :S I really hope that this is the last time they do this but I know that chances for this are very small… :(

Posted by hp-fan (Roar!) on February 18, 2010, 05:53 AM report to moderator
User170224_pic7538_1238947280_thumb

That is sincredibly BLUH!!!! It’s sooooo stupid!! Poor Jo.We love you!

Posted by Peace.Love.Potter ♥ on February 18, 2010, 06:50 AM report to moderator
2013-07-19_113504_thumb

I agree with everyone else, people will do stupid things for money.

Posted by Want to be a Weasley on February 18, 2010, 08:54 AM report to moderator
Harrypotter_thumb

Oh my God, people can be so CRUEL sometimes. And they even asked (in a Yahoo! article) if the movies and the theme park also breaches the law. HOW ABSURD. I am seething with anger right now. I dismiss the claim as a mere effect of jealousy and greed, but I will pray that Mrs Rowling passes through this unscathed. We will always stand by you, Jo.

Posted by MikeMagpuyo on February 18, 2010, 09:44 AM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

It is tragic and yet simultaneously ridiculous that someone would have the audacity and the nerve to sue J.K. Rowling and Bloomsbury under the contrived accusation of plagiarism when the plaintiff so obviously desires little else than to take some of the success she has acquired for his own. That, in my opinion, is even a more heinous form of plagiarism.

Posted by Kirk on February 18, 2010, 09:50 AM report to moderator
034_thumb

UGH… it is so horrible that these people are doing this to JK. So just because some guy wrote a book about wizard and JK wrote about a wizard doesn’t mean they are the same. Just because your book didn’t become POPULAR and FAMOUS doesn’t mean you have to attack somebody’s that did. Thats life, GET OVER IT!

Posted by T-BirdROAR on February 18, 2010, 11:01 AM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

Good grief not this guy again :x
Well like JKR it seems no one has heard of this guy and, as has already been said a couple pages ago, it’s a good way to draw attention to a book that no one’s ever heard of. The things that were cited as allegedly being plagiarism were the things that appear in any hero’s journey kind of book or movie. Gah …

Posted by Moose_Starr on February 18, 2010, 11:40 AM report to moderator
Da1a_thumb

While I would be very sad if this had any truth, I seriously doubt that Bloomsbury would publish something without checking on copyrights. I think this is all because JKR is successful and famous…nothing more.

Posted by Rin68nyr on February 18, 2010, 11:56 AM report to moderator
Da1a_thumb

The thing that doesn’t make sense is that it’s not even the author who is suing….he passed away in 1997. It’s his family. Apparently this author lost big in the stock market at one time….I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Posted by Rin68nyr on February 18, 2010, 11:59 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

I remember there was a link at one time in the past to pages of this work, it was totally childish and not detailed and as Moose_Starr said these are the kinds of things that turn up in the journey of many a hero. Perhaps the Finns and the other Nordic countries should sue Tolkien’s family, I mean the myths and folklore of these countries was a strong influence on his stories of middle earth, but of course that would be ludicrous, and so is this ridiculous attempt at sueing Jo for plagiarism. There are common influences on us all, many stories will have similar themes and ideas, that’s life, get over it you silly people.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on February 18, 2010, 12:11 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix_thumb

This is just really — I don’t know annoying?? Why do people do this???!!!!!!!!!! Seriously they should just keep to their own business and good for them if they’re losing money…!!!!!!

Posted by gryffindor234 on February 18, 2010, 12:21 PM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

This is completely absurd and I will leave it at that!

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on February 18, 2010, 01:04 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Only Muggles talk of 'mind reading.' The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by any invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing, Potter... or at least,