"Half-Blood Prince" Video Game Nominated for BAFTA Video Game Award

Video Games
Posted by: Rosi
February 24, 2010, 04:51 PM

The "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" video game has been nominated for a BAFTA Video Game Award. Mentioned in the nomination for Best Original Score is award-winning composer James Hannigan along with Zsolt Marx and Campbell Askew. The other nominated games in the Original Score category are "Assassin's Creed II," "Batman: Arkham Asylum," "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2," "PixelJunk Shooter" and "Uncharted 2: Among Thieves." The GAME British Academy Video Games Awards will take place on Friday 19th March. A full list of video games nominated for the various categories can be found at the BAFTA website.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Video Games News

Hbp_poster_two_thumb

Congratulations to the game and the composers responsible for this nomination! They certainly did create a fantastic soundtrack to complement the experience of playing the video game.

Posted by Kirk on February 24, 2010, 05:08 PM report to moderator
Magic-book_thumb

OMG!! I mean why should this be news? I mean any Harry Potter movie/game should have a award!! They are all so good!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Dreamer on February 24, 2010, 05:17 PM report to moderator
Mr_bean__thumb

yay they rock!

Posted by hermionenluna TZS ROAR! on February 24, 2010, 05:27 PM report to moderator
Marrow_normal_normal_small_thumb

Oh I really, really hope it wins. I’ve always really loved the scores on those games and the HBP one is just fantastic. I looooove the variation on Hedwig’s theme used when Harry uses Felix Felices, it had me laughing the whole way through. And I love the music when mixing potions. And the whole way through!

Posted by nellythemarrow on February 24, 2010, 05:34 PM report to moderator
3_thumb

Haha awesome!

Posted by Lovegood.Luna on February 24, 2010, 06:23 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

Congratulations! This is great! It’s so awesome that Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince was nominated for the BAFTA award!

Hpdh_thumb

bafta’s have not been too kind this year so lets hope this one works out

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on February 24, 2010, 06:45 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Yay! Go HBP!!!!!!!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on February 24, 2010, 06:53 PM report to moderator
1103693411_picsoliver_thumb

The music is alright, only because it came from the movie though. But overall, all Harry Potter games are mediocre. They are quickly thrown together with little innovation. The developer of the game, EA, is notorious for doing cookie cutter games with little quality or intuition just to cash in on a fad (Not that Harry Potter is a fad). Of course the games are fun just because they are about harry Potter, but the sub-par graphics, flawed combat system, and shallow story telling make this game too average to be considered for any award of any kind. I love gaming and I love Harry Potter, but come on EA, this mediocrity is ridiculous, can we please get a quality Harry Potter Video game?

Posted by Squire McDuffin on February 24, 2010, 07:22 PM report to moderator
Choco_dementor_thumb

Good luck!!!

Posted by The Half-Blood Lauma' on February 24, 2010, 08:03 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Squee! I don’t play the games, but good luck to them!

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on February 24, 2010, 11:44 PM report to moderator
Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

Awesome! I too don’t play video games but, this is awesome!

Posted by LoveTomRiddle [ROAR] on February 24, 2010, 11:54 PM report to moderator
Giant_potter1_thumb

EA actually spent a lot of time bringing the castle and characters to life with the amount of detail they put in. For a Potter fan it’s definitely fun to play through especially on the wii using the wiimote as a wand. However I agree, for aspects such as gameplay, graphics, and overall polish, it’s nowhere near the league of a MW2 or Uncharted 2 or even Arkham Asylum. All three of those games are incredible. Since the award is for original score though, I can see how Harry Potter can fit in.

Posted by mtbsergio on February 25, 2010, 12:00 AM report to moderator
1_thumb

I have a bit of a quibble with Squire McDuffin. Firstly, not all the HP games are bad/mediocre. The two Gameboy Color games were absolutely EXCELLENT, basically Final Fantasy 3 but with Harry Potter, a full Hogwarts to explore, and a storyline that ignored the movies and was more true to the books. Also, there were some hilarious bits, like where Lockhart joins your party, and you can have him cast any spell in the game, but every single one fails every time he uses it. The only way for him to be effective at all is for him to use his “autograph attack”, where he throws an autograph at an enemy.

Also, I really enjoyed the OotP game. It wasn’t perfect, but there was tons to do and explore, and the ending fight between Dumbledore and Voldemort was huge and epic and an absolute blast to play.

Now, HBP was a big disappointment for me, but the one area in which it really excelled (besides the very fun minigames) was the music.

This leads me to my second point – the music of the game do NOT come from the movie. It angers me when video game reviewers say that, because having played almost every HP video game, in all the ones I’ve played, the use of the movie’s score is fleeting at best. The GBA/GBC versions of the first two games had a great chiptune score, very dark and brooding but still with a sense of wonder and magic running through it. And the console versions of the HBP game had an AMAZING score. The bit where Harry takes Felix Felicis and suddenly a 50’s latin-infused big band appears out of nowhere and plays jaunty music? Pure genius. Ron’s Love Theme? Hilarious? The theme for the inexplicable tunnel/cave that suddenly appeared on Hogwarts Ground? Great, though I still wonder why that location was there in the first place.

So, yeah, there were some good HP games, and the music is usually mostly if not all original, except for some cutscenes or title screens (and of course the ads – they have to use hedwig’s theme in the ads), and I really, really enjoyed the music direction in the HBP game. Of course, Assassin’s Creed II is a really strong contender, but I’m really glad the composer of the HBP video game has been noticed for her/his great work.

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on February 25, 2010, 12:03 AM report to moderator
1_thumb

Also, OMG COMMENT OF DOOM. Sorry ’bout that.

Posted by Dawlish and the Archies {WBM!} on February 25, 2010, 12:04 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Oh, no, not you," he moaned.[br]"Doesn't know what he's saying," said Lockhart loudly to the anxious crowd of Gryffindors pressing around them. "Not to worry, Harry. I'm about to fix your arm."[br][i]"No!"[/i] said Harry. "I'll keep it like this, thanks.