New Interview with Jason Isaacs: Isaacs and Yates Plotted How to End Lucius' Story

Isaacs Interviews
Posted by: Rosi
March 15, 2010, 06:36 AM

Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy) gave a new interview to Dermot O'Leary's show on BBC Radio 2 on Saturday, in which he discussed finishing Potter and his role in "Green Zone." Confirming that he'd wrapped, Isaacs said, "hopefully there'll be some publicity and I can get the wig back on again." The actor revealed that he and director David Yates had been discussing how to end Lucius' story in the film:

One day I came up with this [idea for how to end Lucius' story] and [Yates] said, "that's it, that would be great." We shot some particular bit but I still had months left to film and I went to the trailer and took all my gear off and the First Assistant who came to see me went, "Jason, we're just looking at the schedule and we realised  that actually we don't need you now" [...] And I said, "Why?" and he said, "well that thing you just decided to do means you're not in that scene, or that scene, or that scene. And I went, "Argh! I've changed my mind! It was a terrible mistake, get everybody back!" So I had to say goodbye to it, but it was a magnificent run.
Isaacs went on to compare Potter to his other acting projects and discussed his motivations behind acting.
I know it sounds pretty ungrateful, but I don't do this job for anybody who watches it, I just love the process of it. I like the research, I like the process of being around people, the community spirit of it. With Potter, it's different. The end result and the pleasure it gives to people just goes on forever, it's kind of the opposite of herpes. It's the gift that really does keep on giving, Potter. I meet people and I don't have to do anything. I just have to breathe and exist in the room and it gives them pleasure.
The actor described Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter), Emma Watson (Hermione Granger), Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley)  and Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) as "really fine, grounded humble young people, which is pretty extraordinary considering they're the most famous young people on the planet." Isaacs also talked about the older actors he has worked with whilst making the Harry Potter films and referred to the call sheets he's saved, saying, "I look at the call sheets and it's got Michael Gambon and Maggie Smith and Alan Rickman and Gary Oldman on it and I go, 'my name's on the same piece of paper!'"

The interview also covered Tom Felton's mailbag, a comparison of running in London's Hampstead Heath and Los Angeles' Runyon Canyon along with a lengthy discussion of Isaacs' latest role in "Green Zone." The Lucius Malfoy actor described the process of acting without a set script as a, "joy: the freedom that comes with that, the sense of spontaneity."

You can find the interview on the BBC iPlayer at this link; it starts at 2:04 hours in.

Thanks to SnitchSeeker for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Isaacs Interviews News

Johnb_thumb

Well considering this movie was cut in two too make it easier to keep it as close to the book as possible, I doubt you will see him die or running through the castle fighting, he didn’t have a wand at the end remember and his wife gave her’s to Draco. I do not know how they ended it, but I am pretty sure you can rule those two thoughts out. Perhaps they are simply running through the castle looking for Draco, like in the book.

Posted by JohnB on March 15, 2010, 11:55 AM report to moderator
Leaky_avatar_thumb

I love Jason Isaacs, but I really hope that he didn’t do anything crazy with Lucius’s story. I liked the way it ended!

Posted by Marielebone on March 15, 2010, 12:25 PM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

Well if he has worked with Mel Gibson that’s too bad but, otherwise I think Jason Isaacs is totally awesome. He is so funny. And, I love that he loves HP (and The Wig) so much. He seems a real cool guy :)

Posted by Moose_Starr on March 15, 2010, 12:42 PM report to moderator

Not a great idea to announce to fans that you’re making it up as you go along.

Posted by Jillxoxo on March 15, 2010, 12:46 PM report to moderator

opposite of herpes? uhhhhh ok jason

Posted by hallows or horcruxes? on March 15, 2010, 12:49 PM report to moderator
Prophecy_thumb

They changed Lucius’ story. I hate that. I found the Malfoys’ stories (all the Malfoys), small though they were, to be utterly fascinating. Why can’t they leave ANYTHING as Jo wrote it? Why do people who dislike her story so much insist on working on it? I know why. Money. And I don’t mean my beautiful Jason when I say this. I know how much he loves and respects the story. I’m talking about all those other losers like Kloves and Yates who think they know better but really REALLY don’t.

Posted by DeliaDee on March 15, 2010, 12:56 PM report to moderator
Mugsp_profile_thumb

Hmm…I wonder what they decided to do to give closure to a character that would require him not to be in other scenes? I highly doubt they would kill him. That’s too dramatic. I’m thinking it’s more along some path of cowardice or maybe redemption. Just not being as around when the bad guys are doing there thing. I just hope they don’t over do the Malfoy story so they all come out good in the end. The actions were somewhat selfish; they slowly pulled away from Voldemort not because they moral opposed him, but because they wanted to protect their family. There wasn’t an actual conversion to goodness. It was more of a surrender. Also, I think it couldn’t anything too serious because it would have to get JKR’s approval. I’m sure it will be fine. I’m glad they are taking the time to finesse these characters a little more. Now that we have two movie they can milk the content.

Posted by eiVega on March 15, 2010, 01:17 PM report to moderator

Jason is such a wonderful actor and makes Lucius such a deliciously evil character. The fact that he respects the story and the other actors so much says alot about him as a human being. His love of this character (and the wig) shows on the screen! Why oh why can they not follow the story line??? Please do not change this too much!!!! It really is perfection as is.

Posted by hewy on March 15, 2010, 01:18 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I hope that with regard to the Malfoys they have not strayed from the book too much and we are reading too much into these particular statements that Jason Isaacs has made. Needless to say, however, I cannot begin to imagine the bereavement going through him now that he has left this franchise to which he has contributed for about a decade.

Posted by Kirk on March 15, 2010, 01:34 PM report to moderator
Toby_metal_thumb

well the last glimpse of him SHOULD be him huddling in the great hall with Draco and his wife. this sounds like they are again making up their own story and using Jo’s book as a loose guideline, I really dont like yates.

Posted by splinch on March 15, 2010, 01:50 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

Jason is a good actor, and I think any idea he has on how to end Lucius’ story should work well. They can not put everything that it is in book on the screen or the movie would be five or six hours long. I do hope though, that Lucius Malfoy survives the final battle and emerges suitably chastened!

Posted by Fresca ROAR on March 15, 2010, 02:20 PM report to moderator
All-voldemort-needs_thumb

Don’t change the ending, PLEASE!!!!
ahahaha! the WIG… again))) he has really attached to it!

Posted by Pollytomat on March 15, 2010, 02:36 PM report to moderator

Hes a great actor and is perfect for the role, i hope they don’t kill him, becuase that goes away from the book a little too much ( you can change order and events but dont kill peoplr who lived)

Posted by madman1277 on March 15, 2010, 02:43 PM report to moderator
Reliquiasdelamuerte_thumb

Wow! I hope they haven’t changed that much of the film!!!

Posted by IHeartHarryPotter on March 15, 2010, 02:53 PM report to moderator
26dfd7603b091fe4c95efaad002edbaa46_thumb

hes one of my favs now im really intrested to find out what happens

Posted by LilLadySnape on March 15, 2010, 03:10 PM report to moderator

"What are heliopaths?" asked Neville, looking blank.[br]"They're spirits of fire," said Luna, her protuberant eyes widening so that she looked madder than ever. "Great tall flaming creatures that gallop across the ground burning everything in front of --"