New Interview with Jason Isaacs: Isaacs and Yates Plotted How to End Lucius' Story

Isaacs Interviews
Posted by: Rosi
March 15, 2010, 06:36 AM

Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy) gave a new interview to Dermot O'Leary's show on BBC Radio 2 on Saturday, in which he discussed finishing Potter and his role in "Green Zone." Confirming that he'd wrapped, Isaacs said, "hopefully there'll be some publicity and I can get the wig back on again." The actor revealed that he and director David Yates had been discussing how to end Lucius' story in the film:

One day I came up with this [idea for how to end Lucius' story] and [Yates] said, "that's it, that would be great." We shot some particular bit but I still had months left to film and I went to the trailer and took all my gear off and the First Assistant who came to see me went, "Jason, we're just looking at the schedule and we realised  that actually we don't need you now" [...] And I said, "Why?" and he said, "well that thing you just decided to do means you're not in that scene, or that scene, or that scene. And I went, "Argh! I've changed my mind! It was a terrible mistake, get everybody back!" So I had to say goodbye to it, but it was a magnificent run.
Isaacs went on to compare Potter to his other acting projects and discussed his motivations behind acting.
I know it sounds pretty ungrateful, but I don't do this job for anybody who watches it, I just love the process of it. I like the research, I like the process of being around people, the community spirit of it. With Potter, it's different. The end result and the pleasure it gives to people just goes on forever, it's kind of the opposite of herpes. It's the gift that really does keep on giving, Potter. I meet people and I don't have to do anything. I just have to breathe and exist in the room and it gives them pleasure.
The actor described Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter), Emma Watson (Hermione Granger), Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley)  and Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) as "really fine, grounded humble young people, which is pretty extraordinary considering they're the most famous young people on the planet." Isaacs also talked about the older actors he has worked with whilst making the Harry Potter films and referred to the call sheets he's saved, saying, "I look at the call sheets and it's got Michael Gambon and Maggie Smith and Alan Rickman and Gary Oldman on it and I go, 'my name's on the same piece of paper!'"

The interview also covered Tom Felton's mailbag, a comparison of running in London's Hampstead Heath and Los Angeles' Runyon Canyon along with a lengthy discussion of Isaacs' latest role in "Green Zone." The Lucius Malfoy actor described the process of acting without a set script as a, "joy: the freedom that comes with that, the sense of spontaneity."

You can find the interview on the BBC iPlayer at this link; it starts at 2:04 hours in.

Thanks to SnitchSeeker for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Isaacs Interviews News

Wand_thumb

I wonder what that idea was?

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on March 15, 2010, 09:12 PM report to moderator
1_thumb

Seriously they shouldn’t kill Lucius.Period.

Posted by RonHermione2gther on March 15, 2010, 09:19 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

It may acutally look good on screen if they change what Lucius does at the end instead of following the book. It’ll be great to add a new twist!

Img_7836_thumb

Hahah did he really just compare Harry Potter to herpes? That’s HILARIOUS.
And whaat? They invented some strange ending for Lucius? Why couldn’t they just keep it like the book…last view of him in the Great Hall with his family?
Hopefully it’ll be good.
And that honestly sucks, just being done filming for the movie without realizing. xD

Posted by kira902k on March 15, 2010, 10:43 PM report to moderator
Natalieportman14_thumb

I really hope they don’t kill off Lucius. Like, really hope. If they do, I’ll be very ticked.

But, I do love Jason.

Posted by Tassana Burrfoot on March 15, 2010, 11:21 PM report to moderator
Avpm_thumb

Oh. what I would give to meet Jason Issacs.

Posted by NobleHouseofBlack on March 16, 2010, 01:13 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

ending Jason’s character? wasn’t his last scene in the book is he and his wife is huddled over draco being alive?.. i hope they won’t change the story. that’s the whole idea of having 2 movies for one book, they will get as much from the book into the movie…so less “fictional fiction”..

Posted by alegria35 on March 16, 2010, 01:40 AM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

I wonder what he means about the ending for Lucius? Hope it will fit with what we fans expect to see …

I think it’s fantastic that he keeps joking about the wig — that means he really loves it! He really appreciates everything about the films, and it’s so cool that he is excited about working with both the kids and the adults. It’s almost like he is one of the kids (enthusiastic) AND one of the adults (talented, established). Also cool that he mentioned Tom Felton, and not just the trio — which makes sense because he plays Draco’s father, but still! Great article!

The opposite of herpes … lol.

Voorpotter_thumb

I hope they give him a good death scene. THAT is what fans really want to see, not the silly caricature that Jo made of Lucius in Deathly Hallows. Him suddenly caring for his son? Please.

Then again, he may end up as a professor at Hogwarts, teaching about Muggles…

Posted by Joost on March 16, 2010, 05:55 AM report to moderator
Ron-hermione-romione-3219846-1024-821_thumb

Sounds like they are going to deviate from the book with regards to what happens to Lucius. Should be interesting.

Posted by Ron&Hermione-4-ever [ROAR] on March 16, 2010, 06:35 AM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

i love the interview…but im interested to see what he came up with in the story line! i really hope they dont change anything too much!!!!!!!!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on March 16, 2010, 06:40 AM report to moderator
Hp_buddyicons_caught_bellamlfy_96x96_129322477441953550_thumb

i love jason!! he’s hilarious…i only hope that they don’t mess up the movies by straying too far from the books :(

Posted by HalfBloodPrincesss (Jenna Evans) on March 16, 2010, 07:04 AM report to moderator
Llamaflyiong_thumb

I think that Jason Isaacs is a great actor and I really enjoy his passion for the series (it’s definitley better than Gambon and his “I just read the lines” policy). However I don’t think that they are right in thinking that they should change the story all the time and decide the end for JKR’s character. I really hope they don’t deviate too much….

Posted by lurking_llama on March 16, 2010, 07:42 AM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

I really, really, really love Jason. He’s just fantastic.

Posted by Christine on March 16, 2010, 08:04 AM report to moderator
Phpyyqy43_c2am_thumb

“…the opposite of herpes…” LOL!

Posted by weasleywannabe1997 on March 16, 2010, 09:28 AM report to moderator

"I really wish I could hear that great hairy moron trying to defend himself... 'There's no 'arm in 'im, 'onest --'... that hippogriff's as good as dead --"