New Interview with Jason Isaacs: Isaacs and Yates Plotted How to End Lucius' Story

Isaacs Interviews
Posted by: Rosi
March 15, 2010, 06:36 AM

Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy) gave a new interview to Dermot O'Leary's show on BBC Radio 2 on Saturday, in which he discussed finishing Potter and his role in "Green Zone." Confirming that he'd wrapped, Isaacs said, "hopefully there'll be some publicity and I can get the wig back on again." The actor revealed that he and director David Yates had been discussing how to end Lucius' story in the film:

One day I came up with this [idea for how to end Lucius' story] and [Yates] said, "that's it, that would be great." We shot some particular bit but I still had months left to film and I went to the trailer and took all my gear off and the First Assistant who came to see me went, "Jason, we're just looking at the schedule and we realised  that actually we don't need you now" [...] And I said, "Why?" and he said, "well that thing you just decided to do means you're not in that scene, or that scene, or that scene. And I went, "Argh! I've changed my mind! It was a terrible mistake, get everybody back!" So I had to say goodbye to it, but it was a magnificent run.
Isaacs went on to compare Potter to his other acting projects and discussed his motivations behind acting.
I know it sounds pretty ungrateful, but I don't do this job for anybody who watches it, I just love the process of it. I like the research, I like the process of being around people, the community spirit of it. With Potter, it's different. The end result and the pleasure it gives to people just goes on forever, it's kind of the opposite of herpes. It's the gift that really does keep on giving, Potter. I meet people and I don't have to do anything. I just have to breathe and exist in the room and it gives them pleasure.
The actor described Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter), Emma Watson (Hermione Granger), Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley)  and Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) as "really fine, grounded humble young people, which is pretty extraordinary considering they're the most famous young people on the planet." Isaacs also talked about the older actors he has worked with whilst making the Harry Potter films and referred to the call sheets he's saved, saying, "I look at the call sheets and it's got Michael Gambon and Maggie Smith and Alan Rickman and Gary Oldman on it and I go, 'my name's on the same piece of paper!'"

The interview also covered Tom Felton's mailbag, a comparison of running in London's Hampstead Heath and Los Angeles' Runyon Canyon along with a lengthy discussion of Isaacs' latest role in "Green Zone." The Lucius Malfoy actor described the process of acting without a set script as a, "joy: the freedom that comes with that, the sense of spontaneity."

You can find the interview on the BBC iPlayer at this link; it starts at 2:04 hours in.

Thanks to SnitchSeeker for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Isaacs Interviews News

018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

Love Jason, of all the adult actors he’s always so enthusiastic about Potter, I love him! I’m intrigued to know what this change is though

Posted by KiwiMcI on March 16, 2010, 11:57 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb

He’s the perfect Lucius Malfoy!! :-D

Posted by forgetmenot_007 on March 16, 2010, 12:33 PM report to moderator
Flying-ford-anglia-resized-128_thumb

Oh please say they haven’t killed him off. That’s just deviating from canon too much! Cutting scenes and adding scenes is one thing, but killing off extra characters or leaving some characters alive who should be dead is really just thinking you know what’s appropriate for the characters more than Jo does.

Jason’s really great. He’s one of the few people involved in these movies who’s really enthusiastic about his part. Richard Griffiths is another. And Evanna Lynch. That’s about it really. :(

Posted by Immortal Phoenix on March 16, 2010, 01:37 PM report to moderator

Cool !! I can Not wait to see that movie!!!

Posted by Mew5645 on March 16, 2010, 02:07 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

jason is the best. i wonder what he came up with, for the lucius thing. i hope its not much different from the book….

Posted by MaggieNoise on March 17, 2010, 12:57 PM report to moderator
Normal_carina2_thumb

“The end result and the pleasure it gives to people just goes on forever, it’s kind of the opposite of herpes.” hahahahaha! I love it! :D He is an awesome actor and person! But I really hope that they don’t change too much from the book, I am looking forward to an accurate movie! :)

Posted by [Former] LadyofDarkness on March 19, 2010, 12:25 AM report to moderator
Harry-potter-silhouette_thumb

Great interview with Jason – I can’t imagine anyone else portraying Lucius. I’m curious about the new/revised ending…..

Posted by WizardRocker1 on March 19, 2010, 10:52 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

I enjoy reading his interviews. He always brings a smile.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on March 20, 2010, 08:05 PM report to moderator
Avatar1_thumb

Jason Isaacs! Love him! Love his interviews! He’s very a funny guy and very talented actor: we could not ask for a better Malfoy! He’s an awesome villain!

Posted by Madam Snape on March 20, 2010, 11:40 PM report to moderator
Image_thumb

“The opposite of herpes?” Oh, come on. He’s a grown man. He shouldn’t be saying things like that to the public.

I am still a fan. Lol.

Posted by Smitch on March 21, 2010, 11:20 AM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

I want the ending left completely untouched…it’s gotta be true to JKR in my opinion. good interview though! can’t wait for this!!!

Posted by DesQueJteVois on March 21, 2010, 12:12 PM report to moderator
Eccleston_396x222_thumb

He is so delicious as Lucius Malfoy!

Posted by Owlpost Hedwig on March 21, 2010, 05:58 PM report to moderator
Kc_lucius1_thumb

i love jason isaacs! he is so amazing. his interviews are always so entertaining!

Posted by KC Nox on April 06, 2010, 11:18 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

It took perhaps thirty seconds for Snape to realize that he was on fire. A sudden yelp told her she had done her job. Scooping the fire off him into a little jar in her pocket, she scrambled back along the row -- Snape would never know what had happened.