Bloomsbury to Repackage Harry Potter Novels with 'Signature' Edition Covers

Books
Posted by: Edward
March 30, 2010, 10:28 AM

This Fall, UK Harry Potter publisher Bloomsbury will be repackaging the seven Harry Potter novels with new Signature Edition covers, the Bookseller reports.  High Res photos of these signature edition covers for the Harry Potter series can be found right here in our image galleries.

Set to be published on November 1, these editions will be available exclusively in paperback format and are aimed to "appeal to the next generation of readers who did not 'grow up' with Harry Potter and who have not yet experienced the thrill of life at Hogwarts."  Illustrations for the seven signature editions are the work of inocut artist Clare Melinsky, who is quoted as saying:
"I was delighted and excited to be asked to illustrate the covers for such massively famous books—and seven of them! It was top secret for the best part of a year."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Upclose_of_me_thumb

I agree with most of you…. such odd covers. I don’t understand the cursive writing and all the pastel colors used. They seem unappealing compared to the other covers and if I was still a kid now, I would pass by them in a store. The one I don’t understand at all is the cover for PS… so odd! They certainly lack the epicness as the others do for sure. I still prefer my covers that Mary GrandPre did for the US and the original ones for the British covers are a whole lot better then these new ones.

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on March 30, 2010, 11:59 AM report to moderator
Thestral_thumb

Hmm, well it’s certainly different. As we have intensely colorful and detailed illustrations for the first set, though, I find myself somewhat fond of these for their own virtues…minimal, yes, but at this point the books are going to be perused because of their fame rather than for their covers. These bring to mind the older editions of the Chronicles of Narnia (which were very plain and stylized); speaking as an Illustration major, I kind of like it, although I vastly prefer the US editions, of course. XD I think these would have been wonderful for the adult editions, or as limited releases…but as to all-out hating them for not being “magical enough,” I think it’s kind of nice to have a change. That’s what makes collecting fun, and they’re certainly beautiful illustrations (particularly Prisoner of Azkaban). shrugs Just an alternative viewpoint.

Posted by zeitgeber on March 30, 2010, 12:05 PM report to moderator
Araneus_diadematus_thumb

Remember: the HP books were around before Warner got their hands on it and made up the well-known logo. The fact that “Harry Potter” is not in that logo might have something to do with the fact that these are “Signature Series”… I would not be surprised if the words “Harry Potter” were crafted by JKR herself… so don’t expect it to be all Warner-y

Posted by Caracticus on March 30, 2010, 12:09 PM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

Yeah but the HP books and their covers that were printed before WB started the HP movies were way more magical than these.
Okay so the article makes it clear that these books are aimed at an audience that doesnt know HP so, maybe they feel they dont need to convey the magic that we know and love. But, to me these covers are totally uninspiring. I know that a book should not be judged by its cover but, if I saw this in a bookstore it would not make me feel like reaching out and picking it up out of interest or curiosity. The artwork to me is dull and uninspiring. So I likely am biased because I know the existing covers so well. But, if I didnt know these were for the HP books, like if they were for a new book series about something completely different I still wouldnt be inspired by these covers. They look like some low tech clip art to me.
But hey what do I know. This person was commissioned to design all seven covers.

Posted by Moose_Starr on March 30, 2010, 12:19 PM report to moderator
Carrascoavatar_thumb

Wow, seems like I’m in the minority on this one. I actually like the covers. They’re different from what we’ve grown to expect. Are they my favorite set of covers? No. But I don’t hate them either. I like that as a “signature cover” they’re using Harry’s signature at the top. I like that the artist created her own version of some of the most iconic scenes of each book (my favorite is HBP and DH). And I like the torn edge of the cover that leads to the page of quotes on the inside. I’m picturing this on a hefty, textured cover so it looks/feels a little better than a regular mass market book. Overall, I think it will be a nice set to have.

Posted by hpbruin on March 30, 2010, 12:27 PM report to moderator
123107760_thumb

I don’t know how i feel about these. On one hand i do like the simplicity of them but on the other hand they just don’t seem interesting enough. I guess if these were for our generation’s kids i wouldn’t exactly pick these as new covers. I don’t think i would change the original but if i had to, they wouldn’t look like this. I get the whole ’don’t judge a book by it’s cover’ but i agree with it. We all pick up a book either because of the name, the cover art or even simply for the summary on the inside or back. I agree if i looked at these covers & they were for different books, i probably wouldn’t pick them up even to look at. I would pass by them. I’m just saying they need to have more appeal but that’s the way they went. They’re happy with them & there’s nothing that can be done.

Posted by hpfan88{ROAR} on March 30, 2010, 12:36 PM report to moderator

I like the PoA and OotP pictures but the color scheme is rather bland. I’d prefer more vibrant or jewel tones colors. I still need a Bloomsbury Edition of Philosopher’s Stone but it won’t be this one.

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on March 30, 2010, 12:41 PM report to moderator
Thio_palha_o_msn_thumb

I get the idea. I get the need to change and appeal to a different audicence. I get what they tried to do there… but I didn’t like these covers at all. It’s not the drawing itself. I liked the style. I just don’t think that the drawing has anything to do with Harry Potter. For me it was a nice style for the wrong product.

Maybe that’s because I grew up with the other covers and I’m not really their target. But even so.. I enjoy several different covers from other countries and I didn’t grew up with any of them either.

I hope it works! It would be nice to introduce Harry Potter to new readers. But personally I didn’t like them.

Posted by Thio on March 30, 2010, 12:55 PM report to moderator
Flitwick_thumb

I think these new covers are really boring and I much prefer the originals. But, wht can we do? Jo must have given her seal of approval. I don’t think I’ll be buying these because I think they could have done better.

Posted by JoeWorthy on March 30, 2010, 12:57 PM report to moderator
Thistletopiary_thumb

The artwork is growing on me as I look them over… they are not “drawings” but linoleum prints (typo in the original posting: “inocut” artist should obviously be “linocut” artist), and really quite nicely done. They sure are different from what we have gotten used to. But they have a certain.. erm…. dignity? sophistication, maybe? that the original children’s versions didn’t have. I think it is ok that they don’t resemble the movie graphics.

Posted by bettb [ITC!] on March 30, 2010, 12:57 PM report to moderator
91276076-92c0d0bb89d5acf6cf757ac328660480

I don’t like the ‘new’ covers one bit! I’m glad I have the ‘old’ covers they just seem more Harry Potter and magical to me.

Posted by Mischief_Managed *Roar* on March 30, 2010, 01:01 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_025-copy_thumb

zeitgeber, i agree- they’re a little reminiscent of the old narnia book covers- which is nice in a way. they are certainly different, but i would agree that it’s not to have a variety of choices, because some covers might appeal to certain people than others. being that avid book collector that i am, i will probably end up wanting a copy for myself… which is a little ridiculous, as my collection is already taking up more than two shelves….

Posted by Rinny on March 30, 2010, 01:09 PM report to moderator
Triple_thumb

i hope these are draft drawings and the real ones will be improved graphics.
i like the concept of each cover on all fo them becuase i have never been a fan of the british covers.
i agree with most above. they are alright but the lack of a scar etc just doesnt make them perfect.
will be buying all 7 of course ;)

Posted by HudMug1712 on March 30, 2010, 01:14 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

Eeee!!!!! That’s brilliant! I have not purchased my own copy of all the Harry Potter books, but now I can own them with better illustrations and the signed copies!

Naughty_galaxy_thumb

I really don’t like these, they are so dull, there is no magic or atmosphere of any kind, I don’t know what they are thinking of. I can’t imagine these enticing anyone to want to pick them up, how on earth are they meant to appeal to this next generation of readers.

Truly mystified.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on March 30, 2010, 01:44 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Ever since I found out Snape was teaching here, I've wondered why Dumbledore hired him. Snape's always been fascinated by the Dark Arts, he was famous for it at school. Slimy, oily, greasy-haired kid, he was," Sirius added, and Harry and Ron grinned at e