Warwick Davis on "Deathly Hallows" Split; Set to Finish Filming in June

Davis Interviews
Posted by: Edward
April 10, 2010, 03:02 PM

Actor Warwick Davis is the subject of a new interview on SciFiNow.co.uk in which the Professor Flitwick actor discusses wrapping up filming on the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" film, as well as his thoughts on the decision to split the final installment.  Confirming that he will wrap filming in June, Mr. Davis relates that, after the first audition many years ago, he did not "know that it was going to become a part of my life for 10 years. It was 2000 then, it’s now 2010, and I’m still doing it."  He expands further by saying:

"I don’t remember a point in the films though, where we knew ‘Right, now we’re going all the way’. I just remember each time we were finishing, we were wondering if we were going to be back again. If I’d have known 10 years ago it would have been lovely."
On the subject of the final film being split into two parts, Mr. Davis says:
"I think it was good, because I think sometimes in the past we could have done that with the other stories, because they are so rich. I’m never actually disappointed… well, I am disappointed because sometimes it leaves my parts out… but I think the readership is sometimes disappointed. They’ll read in their minds, and in the later books certainly, you were starting to think ‘Ooh, I wonder what this is going to look like in the movie, I bet this will look fantastic’ and then when certain sequences weren’t in there, there was possible disappointment. So I think it’s a really good decision, because we can do justice to what is the last book and what is the finale of, if you take it as a whole saga, the end has to build..."
The interview continues with discussion of his past work, as well as the creation of his forthcoming autobiography, Size Matters Not: The Extraordinary Career Of Warwick Davis, set for publication on April 22nd.

Thanks to UHP for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Davis Interviews News

Snape_and_hermione_in_grey_by_usagistu_thumb

There’s a great deal of truth to that.

Posted by Bara on April 10, 2010, 03:44 PM report to moderator
Sea-otter_thumb

I agree, I wish they would have made 2 movies out of books 4 5 and 6 just for us hardcore fans who would have really appreciated all the attention to detail and such.

Posted by BookNookKara on April 10, 2010, 04:09 PM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

Thanks Warwick!

Posted by Girlraven1 on April 10, 2010, 04:17 PM report to moderator
Edith___thumb

yea. especially after ootp i was really “disappointed” (read: mad)

It is very interesting that, at the end of shooting one film, they didn’t always know if there would be a next film.

I also agree that it would have been nice to split some of the other books into two films as well, although I suspect that it might have been more difficult to keep and maintain the interest of more casual moviegoer who had not read the books and therefore could not fully appreciate the complexities of the stories and the need for such painstaking detail.

Posted by Jillxoxo on April 10, 2010, 04:34 PM report to moderator
Dan-hot_thumb

I mean of course I would of loved to see some more of the books split up but that would of taken so much longer! Like those actors would be doing the movies until 2014 or something if that was the case lol It would of been way too difficult for them so I get them not splitting them!

It is crazy enough that they are doing 8 movies, imagine they did 10 or 11…woah!

Posted by cuteh888 on April 10, 2010, 04:54 PM report to moderator
Panda_thumb

He’s definately right, an awful lot of people were disappointed with the films. But I try to think of the films as a different universe to the books, so I’m always okay with the changes. As long as the characters and plots are done justice, which has been the case. :)

He’s awesome btw!

Posted by FilmGirl27 *Team Weasley!* (ROAR!!) on April 10, 2010, 04:59 PM report to moderator
User170224_pic7538_1238947280_thumb

Awww so great.He’s totally right about the disapointment!!

Posted by Peace.Love.Potter ♥ on April 10, 2010, 05:35 PM report to moderator

When one watches the movies one has to keep reminding self “based on the book”, “based on the book”, “BASED ON THE BOOK” darn it all. That way there’s not too much disappointment, at least that’s what I keep telling myself. So far it hasn’t been working all that well.
Many thanks to Mr. Davis for his 10 years of wonderful portrayal of Professor Flitwick and Griphook. He was perfect and outstanding.

Posted by hewy on April 10, 2010, 05:48 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb_thumb

I agree they should not have left out so many key parts in the movies so I hope they do the last movie justice.

Posted by Roseann on April 10, 2010, 06:01 PM report to moderator
2vbx3b5_thumb

Good to know that some people working on the films do publicly acknowledge our disappointment regarding the many sequences over the years that were cut and ultimately caused quite a few plot holes. Normally everyone seems to just skirt around that issue so its nice to hear that someone genuinely understands our disappointment.

Posted by bella vita on April 10, 2010, 06:26 PM report to moderator
Fantasyart01_thumb

Very true, after OOTP I was very disappointed, and they missed out (what i thought) were important memories in half blood prince – oh and also missed out Sirius’ mirror in OOTP, how are they going to explain it in deathly hallows ? :S

Posted by Sasha on April 10, 2010, 06:28 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

What an illuminating interview. I admire him for empathizing with the fans and the outrage many of them may have felt upon viewing the numerous and serious cuts that previous films have suffered.

Posted by Kirk on April 10, 2010, 06:29 PM report to moderator

That is soo true! They could have split the 4th and 5th into two parts. That would have been so cool. I agree with you, SashaSabrina, I don’t know how they explain it!

Posted by WhyAllTheGlitter™ on April 10, 2010, 06:54 PM report to moderator
Potter_thumb

Warwick Davis had to audition? THE Warwick Davis?!

Posted by gaminette [GTFO!] on April 10, 2010, 07:59 PM report to moderator

"I was going to put Stop the Outrageous Abuse of Our Fellow Magical Creatures and Campaign for a Change in Their Legal Status -- but it wouldn't fit. So that's the heading of our manifesto."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014