Warwick Davis on "Deathly Hallows" Split; Set to Finish Filming in June

Davis Interviews
Posted by: Edward
April 10, 2010, 03:02 PM

Actor Warwick Davis is the subject of a new interview on SciFiNow.co.uk in which the Professor Flitwick actor discusses wrapping up filming on the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" film, as well as his thoughts on the decision to split the final installment.  Confirming that he will wrap filming in June, Mr. Davis relates that, after the first audition many years ago, he did not "know that it was going to become a part of my life for 10 years. It was 2000 then, it’s now 2010, and I’m still doing it."  He expands further by saying:

"I don’t remember a point in the films though, where we knew ‘Right, now we’re going all the way’. I just remember each time we were finishing, we were wondering if we were going to be back again. If I’d have known 10 years ago it would have been lovely."
On the subject of the final film being split into two parts, Mr. Davis says:
"I think it was good, because I think sometimes in the past we could have done that with the other stories, because they are so rich. I’m never actually disappointed… well, I am disappointed because sometimes it leaves my parts out… but I think the readership is sometimes disappointed. They’ll read in their minds, and in the later books certainly, you were starting to think ‘Ooh, I wonder what this is going to look like in the movie, I bet this will look fantastic’ and then when certain sequences weren’t in there, there was possible disappointment. So I think it’s a really good decision, because we can do justice to what is the last book and what is the finale of, if you take it as a whole saga, the end has to build..."
The interview continues with discussion of his past work, as well as the creation of his forthcoming autobiography, Size Matters Not: The Extraordinary Career Of Warwick Davis, set for publication on April 22nd.

Thanks to UHP for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Davis Interviews News

Leaving stuff out doesn’t bother me so much. But when they change the spirit of the characters, that really bothers me. Like when Harry lets Ginny hide the book in the movie..Harry would never do that. One example of changing the movie in the spirit of the characters is in PoA when Arthur tells Harry about Sirius. In the book, he wanted to do that, so it’s in the spirit of his character. They could have changed stuff more in that manner, when they needed to for brevity.

Posted by entoptic on April 10, 2010, 08:02 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

I think the best movie adaptations are made from directors who read the books. I’m not talking just Harry Potter. Once they’ve done that, they seem to direct to get an emotional response. They don’t necessarily have to follow the book exactly, as long as they direct to get an accurate emotional response. The movie version of “Matilda” is one of my favorite adaptations from a book. It turns out Danny DeVito made the movie, because it was a book he read to his kids. As someone who absolutely LOVED reading “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy, I thought Peter Jackson’s adaptation was excellent. It’s my understanding both he and Fran Walsh, who wrote the screenplay, read the books. If I was a producer concerned with the success of a movie, I would ask if the director has read the book.

I would bet a year’s salary, Cuaron didn’t read POA. He absolutely butchered it. Of all the HP movies, that was the most disappointing one for me.

One of the most disappointing scenes for me was in HBP, when Dumbledore is killed, and Harry just stands by, because he is ‘ordered’ to do so. There was no drama there at all. And after he’s killed, and the students are all standing around outside pointing their wands toward the dark mark, there was no drama when it disipates. I mean jeez…They’re witches and wizards!!! They could at least have shot some sparks toward it. That showed no imagination from the director whatsoever.

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on April 10, 2010, 08:59 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

wow, yeah, he hit the dissapointment thing to a “T”!!!!!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on April 10, 2010, 09:33 PM report to moderator

I love Warwick Davis! He’s great! He’s in Chronicles of Narnia Prince Caspian, too, right?

Posted by LoonyMaddie3 on April 10, 2010, 09:41 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

Mr. Davis has really added to the movies. His take on splitting Deaathly Haloows into two parts is very wise.

Posted by Fresca ROAR on April 10, 2010, 10:28 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

warwick is the man
he put it the best so far

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on April 10, 2010, 11:16 PM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

Cool news!!! but OMG everyone is talking about the end!! i don’t want it to end!! =/

Tumblr_l15yftnpua1qad5emo1_500_thumb

Thank you for everything, Mr. Davis. Yeah, we’re sad that it’s gonna be over soon too.

Posted by Little Light ^HISS^ on April 11, 2010, 12:29 AM report to moderator
Neil_gaiman_sex_god_thumb

His autobiography should be a very interesting read. I look forward to that.

Posted by Lady Carli Black on April 11, 2010, 12:34 AM report to moderator
_r9kau7w_thumb

ahhh, how i do love flitwick. i am equally sad that his parts were cut as much as they were. :( i would have paid good money to see him zooming across the charms classroom. (sigh) oh well. im glad that he will be in dh, casting all the amazing protective charms on hoggywarty hogwarts! im so incredibly glad that WB’s done the right thing by the fans and split the 7th book, not only does it give us more movie but, it does the book jo wrote true justice. i can only hope it will live up to the book as much as a movie possibly can. on a side note, what a great autobiography title! :D

Posted by Nealie Zealbie on April 11, 2010, 01:53 AM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

I agree with Mr. Davis. I would love to have seen more of him and others in the movie. If they had chosen to do two movies every year it may have worked. Maybe then they could’ve afforded to put more color and light into the movie so we could better see what was happening in all of the scenes then.

Posted by molly43 on April 11, 2010, 02:29 AM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

sessionka oom4 CW — I agree with you on everything that you said except I think the HBP was the worst movie. I wish Chris Columbus had stayed to direct all of the HP films. I think he would have done a better job than what we are seeing now. I feel as if the HP directors don’t really care about making really great movies, only great money. I feel as if they’re saying “Who cares? As long as we bring HP to the screen the fans will love it.”

Posted by molly43 on April 11, 2010, 02:39 AM report to moderator

I never buy autobigraphies….but this will be my first. Being a very tall woman, i always was fascinated about him

Posted by Giant Fairy on April 11, 2010, 06:02 AM report to moderator
Fwooper1_thumb

FilmGirl27 – but the thing is, unfortunately, that they never really did justice to some of the characters, Snape for example. In HBP his overhearing of the prophecy and passing it on to Voldemort was completely left out. I mean, that is one of the most important parts of the plot in the book. Hopefully they gonna include it in DH, otherwise they’ll be telling a story without its core.
entopic, I agree with you. Harry would never have acted like that, letting Ginny decide and do the work for him. The character of Ginny is unconvincing too – I hated the scene were she ties Harry’s shoelaces, it was total crap – Ginny in a kind of submissive position in front of Harry – totally out of place.

Posted by siena on April 11, 2010, 10:06 AM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

Wow, in 2000 Warwick Davis was auditioning and now it is 2010 and it’s the end of Harry Potter movies. I think I need a minute…….

"We wanted to write another couple of verses!" Malfoy called... "But we couldn't find rhymes for fat and ugly -- we wanted to sing about [Ron's] mother, see --"[br]"Talk about sour grapes," said Angelina, casting Malfoy a disgusted look.[br]"-- we couldn'