Warwick Davis on "Deathly Hallows" Split; Set to Finish Filming in June

Davis Interviews
Posted by: Edward
April 10, 2010, 03:02 PM

Actor Warwick Davis is the subject of a new interview on SciFiNow.co.uk in which the Professor Flitwick actor discusses wrapping up filming on the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" film, as well as his thoughts on the decision to split the final installment.  Confirming that he will wrap filming in June, Mr. Davis relates that, after the first audition many years ago, he did not "know that it was going to become a part of my life for 10 years. It was 2000 then, it’s now 2010, and I’m still doing it."  He expands further by saying:

"I don’t remember a point in the films though, where we knew ‘Right, now we’re going all the way’. I just remember each time we were finishing, we were wondering if we were going to be back again. If I’d have known 10 years ago it would have been lovely."
On the subject of the final film being split into two parts, Mr. Davis says:
"I think it was good, because I think sometimes in the past we could have done that with the other stories, because they are so rich. I’m never actually disappointed… well, I am disappointed because sometimes it leaves my parts out… but I think the readership is sometimes disappointed. They’ll read in their minds, and in the later books certainly, you were starting to think ‘Ooh, I wonder what this is going to look like in the movie, I bet this will look fantastic’ and then when certain sequences weren’t in there, there was possible disappointment. So I think it’s a really good decision, because we can do justice to what is the last book and what is the finale of, if you take it as a whole saga, the end has to build..."
The interview continues with discussion of his past work, as well as the creation of his forthcoming autobiography, Size Matters Not: The Extraordinary Career Of Warwick Davis, set for publication on April 22nd.

Thanks to UHP for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Davis Interviews News

well said warwick. :-)
that is what I have said all along.
prisoner of azkaban, goblet of fire, order of the phoenix (what a hash was made of that one) all could have been two parts. flitwick was one of my faves. ooh look everyone, miss granger has done it :-) wing gardium leviosah. :-)

Posted by DobbyWinkyKreacher on April 12, 2010, 07:37 AM report to moderator
Muahaha_thumb

I do hope Flitwick’s role in the final battle is close to the novel. I have this terrible image in my head of him crashing cymbals against the heads of death eaters.

Posted by ScottMan on April 12, 2010, 03:24 PM report to moderator
Lily_evans_and_severus_snape_by_aura3107_thumb

It’s great that Warwick thinks that things were left out of the movies… And I love that he has a book about size not mattering!!

Posted by JessSnape on April 12, 2010, 03:40 PM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

gaminette I’m with you! I had no idea Warwick Davis had to audition. It seems so strange I thought casting had called him up to get him to be in it! Seems so weird today to make him audition

Posted by KiwiMcI on April 12, 2010, 04:24 PM report to moderator
Image_thumb

He seems cool.

Posted by Smitch on April 13, 2010, 09:40 AM report to moderator
Hp_buddyicons_caught_bellamlfy_96x96_129322477441953550_thumb

well said Mr. Davis! i think that any director’s dream is to make a movie do justice to the books it is taken from and especially something as big and spread out as Harry Potter, it would be anybody’s dream to have the big finale so to speak and have everybody love it

Posted by HalfBloodPrincesss (Jenna Evans) on April 13, 2010, 03:09 PM report to moderator
Dh_poster_high_res_thumb

I do wish that there was more Flitwick in the films. I agree that the Warwick Davis on the readership being disappointed. I know that you can’t put in everything… but they’d have had to make two movies from POA on in my opinion, and I really think that would have dragged it out waaay too long for the “movie only” fans. I’m just going to wait for the BBC to do a miniseries that doesn’t leave out a second (hint! hint!) from the books!

Posted by elsabetharia on April 13, 2010, 03:30 PM report to moderator
Pheonix2_thumb

I used to think I was missing so much by not reading the books, but now I feel like it’s been a blessing because it allows me to enjoy the movies without any disappointment. I’m a film major in school, so film is my passion and I feel like had I read the books when I was younger, I would be like everyone else and have that feeling that, man they didn’t put in my favorite part into that film from the book. Obviously I’m missing out on tons of HP knowledge by not reading the books, but I feel it allows me to enjoy the film universe of this story so much more.

Posted by Liderc on April 13, 2010, 03:53 PM report to moderator
Hydrangeas_thumb

aww thats sad

Posted by alicia00 on April 15, 2010, 07:33 AM report to moderator

At least with POA and GOF the primary story was conveyed. OOTP was a hatchet job, especially the final fight scene. And Dan Radcliffe, after OOTP the book came out, said he was so looking forward to angry-Harry and then didn’t get to do it. HBP’s fight scene I excuse only because the producers noted they didn’t want two huge Hogwarts fight scenes back-to-back and they’re saving it for DH. (About the best part of being “true” to the book in DH is Harry/Hermione fans are going to get their wish, both in the Horcrux scene as well as what appears to be an add-on of them dancing in the tent…the movies have had more of a lean towards that couple until HBP, and I feel like someday Dan and Emma are going to do a romantic leads movie together, a la Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet.)

Of course, the other problem is some of the moments in DH rely on characters from past books that are barely around. The house elves are a perfect example…how do you get the emotional impact of Dobby’s sacrifice when you haven’t seen him since COS? Kreacher was shown for 10 seconds in OOTP and vanished in HBP. Even Winky…doesn’t exist in the movieverse. Plus we have Bill and Fleur’s wedding…did you know they were even dating?

The only excuses the filmmakers get a pass on is why the big fight scene and funeral weren’t in HBP. The fight scene because they have to do a big Hogwarts fight for DH, and they’re saving it for that. The funeral because they need all the actors together, which they’ll have for DH (I mean all the actors). But OOTP’s fight scene and all has no excuse for being hatcheted the way it was.

Posted by kmac23va on April 17, 2010, 03:28 AM report to moderator
Shoes_thumb

Oh that is such a sweet interview. I really agree with what he has to say about splitting the final film.

Posted by Love is the greatest magic on April 17, 2010, 06:49 AM report to moderator
Avatar1_thumb

It’s great that he understands our feelings of disappointment, and it’s even better to know that the people who are making the movies are also aware of that – though it might not make all that difference. To quote Sasha, how they expect to explain Aberforth conection to Harry in Deathly Hallows if they missed out Sirius’ mirror in Order of the Phoenix? I love the movies, and they’re as great as they could be (I guess), but they DID left out a lot of important things.

Posted by Madam Snape on April 19, 2010, 12:59 AM report to moderator