Harry Potter Series Tops ALA List of the Decade's Top 100 Banned/Challenged Books

Books
Posted by: Rosi
April 19, 2010, 05:47 AM

The American Library Association have issued a press release listing the 10 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 2009 and announcing an updated list of the top 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of the Decade (2000-2009). The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling have come at the top of the Most Frequently Challenged Books of the Decade list, followed by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor's Alice series and Robert Cormier's The Chocolate War. The press release comments that the Harry Potter series is "frequently challenged for various issues including occult/Satanism and anti-family themes." You can find the full list of the Most Frequently Challenged Books of the Decade on the ALA website at this link.

Thanks to MuggleNet for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

36051_169251979755516_114302268583821_590721_1732889_n_small_thumb

i find this completly funny. its absord how people can be so narrow minded about a book. i mean its is just a book (i like many others may live and breath the book) but i know where to draw the line as do many other why it is such a problem is completly ludacrise in my mind. any way as some others have said if one looks past all the spells and what not there are indeed morals that have been not only been taught around the world but have been held in high asteam for centriesby many cultures. well i quess i have finished my ranting sorry for any spelling mistakes.

Posted by Sarah10248 *ROAR* on April 19, 2010, 05:35 PM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

Ridiculous.

Posted by Girlraven1 on April 19, 2010, 06:34 PM report to moderator
0322091528_thumb

There is a new 10 Dumbest List of Dumb Lists. This one came in at 1.

Posted by taoist1 on April 19, 2010, 08:05 PM report to moderator
Choco_dementor_thumb

Anti-family themes…Dear people who think this, READ THE BOOKS before you judge them like this. Harry’s heart’s desire is to have his family back, and have you heard about the Weasleys? Just about as non anti-family as you can get, in my opinion…K thanks, bye.

Posted by The Half-Blood Lauma' on April 19, 2010, 08:16 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_deathly_hallows_movie_poster_thumb

These lists irritate the crap out of me. The ones who want to ban the books claim to be Christians. This really bothers me, since I am a Christian and I love the Potter books. I have enough sense to realize that Potter is fantasy. I know lots of other Christians that like Potter(maybe not as much as me, I’m kinda nuts about it). The few nutballs that try to ban it in the name of Christianity give the faith a bad name. They need to worry about that other series about vampires thats been taking a bite out of the pre-teen generation. :) ( personally I think twilight sucks).

Posted by Darkmarkman on April 19, 2010, 09:25 PM report to moderator
Edith___thumb

im so proud of us. my lifelong dream is to whack laura mallroy on the head with a wok. like in the island of the aunts!!!

Edith___thumb

yes darkmarkman. twi sucks. did they even MAKE the list?! but really. the most.. the themes are:
be just.
be loyal.
no one is perfect.
do whats right, not whats easy.
the best kiss ever is in the middle of a battle.
and wheather you like it or not, YOU ARE GOING TO DIE. and so is everyone else. fact of life. get over it.

I love these lists. It guarantees that a lot more people will now go out and buy the books and see the films. The only reason I went to see “The Da Vinci Code” was because of local picketing at the theater. After all, my reason for being is to p-ss off the conservative right.

Posted by jeannemclROAR on April 19, 2010, 09:54 PM report to moderator
Me_at_hogwarts_thumb

This is so ridiculous! the whole point of the books is the value of family and love! A ton of the stuff in there is Biblical based, if only these people had the brains to find it.

Posted by ProfessorAlice on April 19, 2010, 11:11 PM report to moderator
Avatar1_thumb

I guess there are several context in which these books can be read and many people (too many, actually) haven’t got a clue on how to read them, so they take them and make them fit into this horrible plot against family values and all and label them as a threat to society.
It’s a shame…
I wish we all could understand these books in a unified way. But people are different, and that’s a good thing, but that also means that we’ll come across those who can find satanism even in a harmless book series as Harry Potter very often.
Again, it’s a shame…

Posted by Madam Snape on April 19, 2010, 11:27 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

The “anti-family theme” is kinda confusing me a bit?? Have these critics not read the entire series? Cause if they did they see the complete ooposite of what they seem to think. Oh wel though… Harry and Jo will always have us loyal fans!!

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on April 19, 2010, 11:35 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_seal_thumb

Oh my gosh! All the people that want ot bann Harry Potter are completely insane. I mean it’s their own problem if they don’t like it, but they shouldn’t keep other people from reading it! If the books bother someone they should just not read them. If I had never read Harry Potter I may never have enjoyed reading as much as I do! Harry Potter has been my favourite book since I was around 10! and if they want to bann it because they think it’s too scary or it messes with their religion then maybe they should think of other people before themselves and give it a rest.

Posted by Jacket on April 19, 2010, 11:38 PM report to moderator
Img_2115picnic_thumb

Haha, wow. And yet the books still have soo many fans. I wonder why that is? Maybe they’re AMAZING!? I don’t mind so much if people don’t like them if they have at least read them. I mean, I feel bad for those protestors that believe that Harry Potter is incouraging witchcraft and evil, really people? Harry Potter stresses the importance of friendship and togetherness and coming together to fight a common enemy, how is that harmful? Well, I guess I just don’t get why some people want to challenge some really wonderful writing that should eventually become a classic!

Posted by phoenixortheflame on April 19, 2010, 11:46 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_70_thumb

For heaven’s sakes, all this is absolutely ridiculous!! Just get a life, and get on with it..

Posted by HBPFan [ITC!] - CatPhoenix14 on April 20, 2010, 06:14 AM report to moderator
Hula_thumb

Most of these people haven’t read the books. They just assume that they’re about wicca or something.

Posted by DarthWeetzie on April 20, 2010, 11:36 AM report to moderator

Ron had taken the loss of his rat very hard indeed.[br]"Come on, Ron, you were always saying how boring Scabbers was," said Fred bracingly. "And he's been off-color for ages, he was wasting away. It was probably better for him to snuff it quickly -- one s

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014