J. K. Rowling to Read at Annual White House Easter Egg Roll

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
April 02, 2010, 11:30 AM

Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling will be reading a selection from her Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone novel as part of the Annual White House Easter Egg Roll, reports the official Scholastic On Our Minds blog.  The author will be reading "at two separate times (1:30pm to 1:45pm ET and again at 2:00pm to 2:15pm ET) on Monday" as part of the event.  Streaming coverage of the Roll will be available via whitehouse.gov when it takes place starting at 7:45am EST on Monday, April 5th.  The event, the largest public event held in Washington DC each year, is set to host 30,000 from each of the fifty states.  Additionally, Scholastic asks "What passage from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone would you like to see Rowling read?" and offers the opportunity to give you opinion in comments here.

The New York Times says the following regarding the event:
First Lady Michelle Obama is bringing her campaign against childhood obesity to the annual White House Easter Egg Roll.
Besides rolling eggs with spoons, children will get a dose of activities to promote healthy living and exercise, including a sports zone and a dance center set up on the South Lawn. White House chefs will be on hand to talk about eating well.
In addition to J. K. Rowling, such other guests as Olympic speed skater Apolo Ohno and the cast of the hit FOX television show Glee will also be in attendance.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

you know what I would really like? a new book from Jo. it would make me so happy. like a new life. just to read something of hers…so I could feel that feeling again ^^

Posted by Matea on April 02, 2010, 11:52 AM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

lol well yes a new book sure would be awesome. But, this is kind of cool, too. It is so amazing that JKR will be there. SS is my equal favorite book along with PoA :)

Posted by Moose_Starr on April 02, 2010, 11:55 AM report to moderator
Bookworm_thumb

How perfect – you guys just started GleeCast, and already there’s big cross-fandom news! ;) I had heard about the Glee cast being there, but knowing Jo will be too just makes it a hundred times better!

Between this and all the news recently of the new Scholastic HP site and the new Bloomsbury covers, it makes we wonder if some big announcement may be in the works. I’ve got my fingers crossed for the Scottish Book! :)

Posted by Bookworm Jen on April 02, 2010, 11:57 AM report to moderator
Boltav_thumb

JK Rowling AND Glee!?! So excited for this!

Posted by nowhere89 on April 02, 2010, 12:12 PM report to moderator
N12304633_31189077_7034_thumb

I’m pretty sure that would be the perfect day. It’s only a six hour drive from my house….

Posted by mlwl on April 02, 2010, 12:12 PM report to moderator
102_0119_thumb

That’s pretty cool! Maybe I’ll watch it…

Posted by Nargles18 on April 02, 2010, 12:15 PM report to moderator
Harrypotter_thumb

I would totally watch it. This is such a great honor for her, but she totally deserves it. And with Glee on board? Well. This is gonna be cool.

Posted by MikeMagpuyo on April 02, 2010, 12:24 PM report to moderator

I wonder if she will be coming to Florida for a private visit to the new park. Maybe this means the park will be opening to the public soon to help get the bugs out before the official opening. “I volunteer me and my family to test ride the new rides for an entire weekend!” (I figure why not since I just mastered the MIB ride with a max score of 999,999. LOL)

Posted by DodgeRules on April 02, 2010, 01:13 PM report to moderator
13635_196007790588_520620588_4407705_7739899_n_thumb

Too bad I am not going to be in DC till May! This would be a dream come true, hearing the story in JK Rowling’s voice!

Posted by Rosie016 on April 02, 2010, 01:15 PM report to moderator

That’s so cool! We haven’t seen Jo do anything like this for awhile! :D I’m excited! Though she’s probably just there to read because the event was something that appealed to her, a part of me hopes that we’ll hear something about a new book from her, The Scottish Book or even just a littlebtut more information on canon.

Posted by FGFG on April 02, 2010, 01:42 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

Thats so nice..can she have a reading for us big kids too. ;)

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on April 02, 2010, 02:02 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

thats really nice. id love it if she read the part where they enter hogwarts for the first time, or when hagrid tells harry he’s a wizard. even though im not gonna be there… but oh well

Posted by MaggieNoise on April 02, 2010, 02:31 PM report to moderator

Ugh. So jealous. We were just in D.C. last week for spring break. Tours of the White House had already been book. You need at least 6 months notice to do that. The sign a the visitor’s center said the the 2010 Easter Egg Roll lottery had already taken place. I hope those that got tickets appreciate the bonus opportunity they are getting with Jo reading. At least there is streaming of the event…

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on April 02, 2010, 02:40 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

I wanna go!!!! D.C. is only 4-5 hours away from where I live!!!! I wonder if you can just show up (probably not, though :( )?

Posted by CarinaPotter (ROAR!) on April 02, 2010, 03:08 PM report to moderator
Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

Lol Glee and Jo!

Posted by Mr. Brightside on April 02, 2010, 03:55 PM report to moderator

[i]"Silence!"[/i] snapped Snape again. "Most unfortunately, you are not in my House and the decision to expel you does not rest with me. I shall go and fetch the people who [i]do[/i] have that happy power."