JKR: "Sometime in the not too distant future I will bring you another book and it will not be Harry Potter" (Updated)

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
April 05, 2010, 02:00 PM

Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling just wrapped her two readings at the Annual White House Easter Egg Roll.  After reading from the fifth Chapter of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone book, the section where Harry finds his wand at Ollivander's, the author answered a few questions from the audience.

Firstly, in response to a question regarding whether she plans to continue writing, J. K. Rowling responded, "I do and I am... Sometime in the not too distant future I will bring you another book and it will not be Harry Potter."  She went on to relate that she is "enjoying taking a break from publishing," and, regarding in earlier question, reiterated prior comments saying she has never ruled out revisiting the Harry Potter series, but she "always planned seven."  She also noted that while she is indeed writing again, she is not ready to talk about it just yet.

JKR also commented on the original opening to the first book, which was set to take place with an explosion at Harry's house in Godric's Hollow.  Shortly after her original plan included Hermione's  father, a next door neighbor of the Potters, running outside to see the baby Harry being taken from the rubble.  This would lead to Hermione remembering this event upon meeting Harry many years later.

Responses to additional questions include:

• Her favorite characters from the series, apart from Harry, Ron, Hermione, are Hagrid, Dumbledore, Lupin, and Snape.
  • Would not want either Dobby or Winky as House Elves, because the creates are "creepy," and would rather give them clothes and set them free.
  • Says she has tweeted twice in her life, and plans to make tweets about "every six months saying 'I'm still writing.'"
  • Her favorite Harry Potter book is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
  • Spoke about coming up with the idea for Harry Potter, noting that she was looking at cows out a train window and thought, "Boy who doesn't know he's a wizard goes to a wizarding school."
  • The next character which she thought of, after Harry, was Hermione.
  • Her favorite subject to write about in the Harry Potter books was charms.  Referenced This is Spinal Tap's revolving drummer as one reason behind having a new DADA teach each year.
  • Made comments on the false rumors behind her inspiration for the name Harry Potter.   Was not based on a childhood friend, and used this question as a "life lesson" to the young audience members, saying "You can never believe everything you read in the papers."
Video of the second segment of the reading can be seen via YouTube here.

Update: Images of J. K. Rowling from the White House Easter Egg Roll can be seen here care of Zimbio.  Our full gallery of images is now available here.

More is coming! Stay close to TLC!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

SQUEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I ONLY GOT SOME OF THE READING BECUASE IT KEPT OING IN AND OUT BUT IM SO EXCITED TO GET SOME OF IT!!!!!! Yeah i cant wait for the “NOT SO DISTANT FUTURE” or her next tweet in about six months! hehehe!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on April 05, 2010, 02:52 PM report to moderator
User170224_pic7538_1238947280_thumb

Ooooooooooooh mmmmmy goooooood YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!! At this moment in time I don’t even care that it’s not gonna be HP because……I don’t know why but I’m sooo happy!! Ooooh I do hope she’s working on the encyclopedia!! I wonder how logn the “not to distant future” tecgnicoley is?! =) Yay!

Posted by Peace.Love.Potter ♥ on April 05, 2010, 02:56 PM report to moderator

The live feed was definitely frustrating. I was only able to pick up snippets. What little I saw, though, was truly impressive. Jo’s inflections and gestures really gives the viewer a chance to see the characters through her eyes. Hopefully, a watchable video will be on the White House or Leaky’s site soon.

It was also wonderful to watch how good she is with children (no big surprise).

Posted by Jillxoxo on April 05, 2010, 03:02 PM report to moderator

WOW… a new book in the “not so distant future”, that’ll be SO awsome

Posted by Evagirl on April 05, 2010, 03:03 PM report to moderator
User170224_pic7538_1238947280_thumb

I love that she is always making sure that it’s clear that she may not be done ith Harry, it’s magical =) Hahaha.She is just….amazing.The way she reads and expresses herself is awesome, and I loooove the questions (and answer’s of course).Haha.The Live Feed (like Jillxoxo said) was extremely fruststrating but what I saw was awesome!! Hahaha

“Stay close to TLC!” -TLC Of course we will. =)

Posted by Peace.Love.Potter ♥ on April 05, 2010, 03:06 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

whoaaa new JKR book?! a;dlkfja i wants it nowww XD

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on April 05, 2010, 03:13 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

just give us anything! we need it like air!

Posted by Matea on April 05, 2010, 03:15 PM report to moderator
Is22581022_thumb

Does anyone know when the second reading will happen or if she’s done it yet?
I hope to watch on the livestream.

Posted by YodatheHobbit on April 05, 2010, 03:19 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

OMG!!! I wonder what she’s writing!!!! I’m not surprised that Hermione was the second character JKR thought of considering Hermione is based on JK Rowling. I love the original back story for Harry and Hermione. If JKR had kept that in, the whole series would’ve been different. Hermione’s parents would definitely have had a larger role in the series.

I wonder what JKR is writing?!! She’s such a tease. It’s been almost 3 years since DH was released, so she’s been giving a lot of attention to this new book. That’s one of the things I love about JKR. She takes her time!! That’s why all of her work is so brilliant, because she doesn’t rush it.

I really really hope the new book comes out in June or November! fingers crossed

Posted by cghambright on April 05, 2010, 03:23 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

cool. cannot wait for more of her work. and im glad to hear new stuff from her, as usual!

Posted by MaggieNoise on April 05, 2010, 03:33 PM report to moderator
102_0119_thumb

Oh, that’s so cool!
I can’t wait to read her new book!!

Posted by Nargles18 on April 05, 2010, 03:33 PM report to moderator
91276076-92c0d0bb89d5acf6cf757ac328660480

I would LOVE to read the original opening with Hermione’s father. I think it would be rather amazing.

Posted by Mischief_Managed *Roar* on April 05, 2010, 03:34 PM report to moderator
Choco_dementor_thumb

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! screams in excitement

Posted by The Half-Blood Lauma' on April 05, 2010, 03:36 PM report to moderator

I am so excited for a new J.K. Rowling book!! but I still have my heart set on the Scottish book as well! She is absolutely brilliant and I have to agree that everything is so wonderful because she takes her time! Goodness…I am set for the year I think!

Posted by jreineke3 on April 05, 2010, 03:42 PM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

That’s amazing — Hermione was her second character!

Posted by Girlraven1 on April 05, 2010, 03:49 PM report to moderator

Harry knew that many of them preferred Professor Grubbly-Plank's lessons, and the worst of it was that a very small, unbiased part of him knew that they had good reason: Grubbly-Plank's idea of an interesting class was not one where there was a risk that

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014