Mayor of London Wants Potter Fans to Lobby for London Theme Park

Fans
Posted by: Rosi
June 08, 2010, 06:19 AM

Yesterday, Mayor of London Boris Johnson wrote a column in the Daily Telegraph's Comment section about The Wizarding World of Harry Potter attraction. Johnson was highly critical of the location of the theme park, asserting that whilst he has "nothing against Orlando," he "bitterly [resents] that Orlando is about to become the official place of pilgrimage for every Harry Potter fan on earth."

Voicing his frustration, the Mayor continues, "sometimes [the British] just don't seem to have the gumption to exploit our intellectual property." Johnson acknowledges that all behind The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will "do a magnificent job" but remains disillusioned by the prospect:

I know somewhere that's even better than Orlando at looking like London – and that is London. I want to know why this Kingdom of Potter is not being built in the UK, and I won't be fobbed off with any nonsense about the weather. They built Eurodisney in the Valley of the Marne, where it is at least as cold and drizzly as it is in London – and it has been a triumphant success.
Johnson goes on to talk about the longevity of the Harry Potter series, commenting that he has listened to his children "babble about the detail, the clues and suggestions that become ever richer with re-reading, the emotions evoked and the deep satisfaction that these books evidently give."

The Mayor ends with an appeal to  children and parents to write to Warner Bros., Universal and J.K. Rowling to "[bring] Harry home to Britain." You can read the article in its entirety via this link.

Thanks to Maryam for emailing in!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

Although I think Boris Johnson is a bit of an idiot, I kind of agree.

Posted by Mr. Tom *ROAR* on June 08, 2010, 06:40 AM report to moderator
Slyth016princessbloomy_thumb

I totally agree with him,actually…

Posted by Black_wind on June 08, 2010, 06:46 AM report to moderator
Emma-vs-01_copy_thumb

Cry moar London.

Posted by Leo_Lovegood on June 08, 2010, 06:51 AM report to moderator
Screen-capture_thumb

Since there is going to be a permanent set at Leavesden Studio with the Diagon Alley set being preserved, it could be the centre of a really big attraction. It doesn’t need to have rides to be worth visiting.

Posted by minerva-rules-uk on June 08, 2010, 07:01 AM report to moderator

Why not? Maybe after the success of the one in Orlando they ll built one in London as well!
Europeans wont have to fly to the USA!

Posted by Kourtis on June 08, 2010, 07:04 AM report to moderator
Fwooper1_thumb

I am just puzzled why he has never talked about his concerns earlier on while the location was still to be discussed ? Now it seems a bit late ??

Posted by siena on June 08, 2010, 07:08 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lphabmv2ob1qcqbbso1_500_thumb

I agree with him entirely, but it’s a bit late now isn’t it? He should have expressed his opinion earlier, because they can’t really take the theme park down now and simply move it to London.

Posted by Bech7Raven [WBM] on June 08, 2010, 07:12 AM report to moderator
Img_4954_thumb

I agree completely!

Posted by CrazedMuggle on June 08, 2010, 07:26 AM report to moderator

Yes, he’s right, but I for my part, travel to England next week to l look at the film sets outside the studios like the Colleges in Oxford (Great hall, library …) and visited a lot in Scotland lile the viaduct (flying ford anglia in CoS), Alnwick castle (flying lessons, arrival of the Ford anglia…), Glen Coe and Glen Nevis (background for Quidditch and dragon flight in GoF) and so on. This is something you can’t transport to america…
And when they open Leavsden studios they will have their own attraction!!!

Posted by ginnyshiel on June 08, 2010, 07:40 AM report to moderator

i totally agree. With it being in london you can get the proper experience. every staff member will be british. More of a chance of getting the off visit from one of the Harry Potter foalk. It could SNOW!! even the rain would be beautiful :(
i have done nothing but support the attraction in orlando, but their should be one in england too.

Posted by HarryRichardsPotter on June 08, 2010, 07:49 AM report to moderator

Great idea! Then I’ll get a chance to visit too :)

Posted by Evagirl on June 08, 2010, 08:25 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

He does have a point!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on June 08, 2010, 08:37 AM report to moderator
Funny-pictures-you-must-answer-riddles-to-pee_thumb

I see his point, but then again despite my living in the United States and having tickets to the park already, I’ve also been to England recently and seen everything there as well. To me, it’s the best of both worlds. I get the theme park experience (which is totally different from actually seeing real shooting locations, inspirations, etc) and also got to see the “real thing.” I’ll definitely go back to England to visit Leavesden when it’s open, too.

Posted by Jessi on June 08, 2010, 08:43 AM report to moderator
Rupert-7_thumb

When I first heard it was being built there I really did wonder why they decided not to do it here in the UK. They should make one here as well, I really have no idea why it’s in the US, maybe there’s not much space to do one here?

Posted by bluishorbs on June 08, 2010, 08:47 AM report to moderator

While I agree that it’s set in the UK, guess who approved all of this in Orlando? The film people and JK Rowling herself. To HaryRichardsPotter, every staff member in the section is British. They didn’t hire anyone who didn’t have a British accent. I don’t like the way he said this. He doesn’t have a say over this… While it would be authentic in England, it will attract more Harry Potter fans here than it would in England. Everyone knows that there are more fans in America than England. It’s not a matter of rivalry, it’s a matter of population. Ours is much bigger, and therefore, more people are fans here. The only reason he wants it in London is because he wants a money maker for their economy. The fact is that many people will fly here to Florida for this, and he knows it. They are getting the Leavesdan set, aren’t they? I’m just annoyed with him. I know that I wouldn’t be looking for some fowl to yell out about to move the park to America if it was built in England… It’ll feel like the UK and I really hope that noone does what the Mayor is saying, because it just annoys JK Rowling and the film producers. It just annoys me… Oh well, they can’t very well take down the attraction, it’ll be amazing to visit, I hope the Mayor realizes why it was built in America…

Posted by Frogki on June 08, 2010, 08:47 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Yet you helped return me to my body," said Voldemort coolly, watching Wormtail sob on the ground. "Worthless and traitorous as you are, you helped me... and Lord Voldemort rewards his helpers..."