10 Years of Leaky

Leaky
Posted by: Melissa
July 04, 2010, 07:52 AM

It's not often we take this much of Leaky's space and time to celebrate a birthday, but this one is special. Today marks The Leaky Cauldron's 10th anniversary on the Internet.

We appeared online on July 4, 2000: just four days before the release of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the book. Before the big bestseller split, before the first midnight party. Not many people remember Leaky in its infancy: it was a blue page with orange text, and was testing out a new Web software called Blogger.

Over the years, Leaky has morphed into an international, sprawling database of all things Harry Potter, a "wonderfully well designed mine of accurate information," as noted by J.K. Rowling in her Fan Site Award.

In that time - to name a few of the amazing things that have happened since - Leaky has given tens of thousands of dollars to charity; it has won a Webby; opened the door for Harry Potter fans to report on the films by becoming the first and at the time only site to visit the junket and sets;  it has been reported on three book releases and eight film premieres; it has printed more than 10,000 news articles; it has performed live podcasts in front of tens of thousands of people; it has thrown an epic conference, and it has been given the honor of interviewing J.K. Rowling twice, the most recent being Ms. Rowling's only podcast interview to date.  And so, so, much more.

All of that is great. We're immeasurably grateful and proud. But none of it would have been possible without the hundreds of people who have worked here over the years, and the millions who have used the site. It has truly been a joint adventure for us, and we hope for you, too. Nothing would be possible here were it not for the fantastic group of sharp, funny, intelligent staff and users on this site; it would have been nothing without your input and interaction.

And we are celebrating with that in mind.

Over the next week, Leaky will release three things that celebrate you, the user, and allow you to more fully experience and enjoy Harry Potter through our site. One of them has been coming for a long time: registration will open for LeakyCon, our second Conference of Awesome(™), to take place in Orlando, Florida, next July, the weekend of the release of the last film in the Harry Potter series. (If you missed the first one, watch this video.)

The other two, we'll wait to show you when they are ready.

So… thank you. Thank you for a grand experience, and a grand adventure. Thank you for being here for a decade, or for getting here now. Thank you for all the memories; please use the thread below to relive them, or to just celebrate each other.

Thank you for ten years of Potter. Here's to the next chapter!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Leaky News

018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

You guys have no idea of the joy and outlet you bring to us, you’ve brought alot of happiness to me over the years, my love of Harry Potter wouldn’t the heights that you people have brought it too. And the excitement and anticipation of the books and films always make this hard life alot better. Thank you guys, I’ve needed you the past 3 years

Posted by KiwiMcI on July 04, 2010, 09:04 AM report to moderator
Leakycopy_thumb

WOO-HOO! Happy Birthday, Leaky…and MANY more :)

Posted by SuperJenn on July 04, 2010, 09:04 AM report to moderator
Marrow_normal_normal_small_thumb

Happy Birthday Leaky :D Love the site, it’s worryingly addictive and fun. Great news that registration for LeakyCon will be open soon!

Posted by nellythemarrow on July 04, 2010, 09:07 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_deathly_hallows_part_ii_4d2a43235e73d626bc003b44_poster_original_thumb

Happy Birthday Leaky! What could we do without you these past 10 years?! :)

Posted by jorowlinglover31 (ROAR!!!!) on July 04, 2010, 09:17 AM report to moderator
Green_sea_turtle_thumb

Thank you Leaky, for the hard work, the latest news, the forum, all the image and films, inspired crafts, MyLeaky to chat with friends, and simply being very wonderful.

Congratulations, and thanks in advance for the next 10 fabulous years :-)

Posted by Butterfly Boy on July 04, 2010, 09:39 AM report to moderator

This is the strangest coincidence!
I’m on a German exchange, and we’re having a lazy day today, so I’ve spent the entire day listening to old, OLD PotterCast episodes, and being nostalgic over old times.
I happened to listen to the episode in which the trio chatted to the original founder, and spent the morning looking at varying Leaky editions on WaybackMachine. Now I come to Leaky to find THIS?!
Congrats, guys, a huge happy birthday and huge THANKS from me; TLC’s been such an integral part of my life for so long now, what would we do without you?!
PARTY TIME! =D

Posted by Magrathea on July 04, 2010, 09:42 AM report to moderator
Hayley3_1__thumb

Oh my gosh this is so exciting. I’ve been following leaky for 5 years!! I was talking to a friend from mugglenet how you tend to be either raised by leaky or raised by mugglenet. I was raised as a leakyer. Happy Anniversary!!

Posted by roflravenclaw on July 04, 2010, 09:44 AM report to moderator

Thank you Leaky, not only for my cool T-shirt and up to date reporting of all things Potter, but also for the symbolism of your birthday and the Harry Potter community’s evolution. The sense of maturity in purpose to do good for others, establish a moral voice as a group, and reflect the moral expression of the author creater of Harry Potter, as well as the young actors who interpret the characters we love on screen, has solidified my identification as a Potter fan.

Posted by Glowstick on July 04, 2010, 09:47 AM report to moderator

Love Leaky! 10 more glorious years!

Posted by kaczkev on July 04, 2010, 09:51 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEAKY!!! this is my favorite fansite of all!!! I used to be a fan of Mugglenet, and its great, but I really love Leaky soo much more!! I cannot wait until registration is up! I have been checking every day since the site was up..and now its this week…its going to be so EPIC!!!

Posted by HP*JOSIAH*HP on July 04, 2010, 09:52 AM report to moderator
Avatarki_youloveit_ru_harry_potter_1054_thumb

Happy Birthday Leaky! I love it)))

Posted by Luna Lovegood on July 04, 2010, 09:55 AM report to moderator
Twitter2_thumb

Happy Birthday Leaky! This truly is the site I visit most often for Harry Potter news! Thank you, and here’s to another 10 years!! <3

Posted by Niphai on July 04, 2010, 09:56 AM report to moderator
Weasley3sweaterf_thumb

Hurray and Congratulations Leaky!!! This is the one website I visit daily. The one thing that I admire the most is your sense of honesty and fairplay. I know that I will get only the truth here. I admired the way that you always supported JKR and the fans right to an unspoiled reading experience during the weeks up to a book release. Way to go Leaky here’s to another 10 years!!!!

Posted by Woozelmom on July 04, 2010, 09:59 AM report to moderator
Littlel_thumb

It’s been my HP fix for pretty much as long as that! Happy Birthday :)

Posted by littleL on July 04, 2010, 10:07 AM report to moderator
121_3293_thumb

Happy Birthday Leaky! I look forward to many more years of your wonderful reporting! Plus I can’t wait for LeakyCon!!!!

Posted by JP Gagen on July 04, 2010, 10:07 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

At the foot of the first set of stairs, they spotted Mrs. Norris skulking near the top.[br] "Oh, let's kick her, just this once," Ron whispered in Harry's ear.