J. K. Rowling Donates 10 Million Pounds for MS Research at University of Edinburgh

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
August 31, 2010, 08:28 AM

The BBC is reporting this morning that Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling has given a donation of 10 million pounds to the University of Edinburgh to fund a research clinic studying MS (Multiple sclerosis).  The new research clinic will be named the Anne Rowling Regenerative Neurology Clinic, after the author's mother who suffered from the decease and passed away at age 45.  The BBC goes on to note that the clinic will also focus their efforts "on other degenerative neurological conditions, including Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease and Motor Neurone Disease."  Ms Rowling is quoted as saying in regards to the donation:

"I cannot think of anything more important, or of more lasting value, than to help the university attract world-class minds in the field of neuroregeneration, to build on its long and illustrious history of medical research and, ultimately, to seek a cure for a very Scottish disease.
"I have just turned 45, the age at which my mother, Anne, died of complications related to her MS.
"I know that she would rather have had her name on this clinic than on any statue, flower garden or commemorative plaque, so this donation is on her behalf, too; and in gratitude for everything she gave me in her far-too-short life."
A second article on SkyNews reports that '[t]he Anne Rowling Regenerative Neurology Clinic will be based in a purpose-built facility within the University's Chancellor's Building, next to the city's Royal Infirmary at Little France.  University officials said the development will build on Edinburgh's "strong track records" in patient-focused clinical research on neurological disorders and in imaging of the brain and nervous system.  It follows the setting up of the Centre for Multiple Sclerosis Research at the university three years ago, which also received support from the author."

More information about the Centre for MS Research at the University of Edinburgh can be found via this link.

Many thanks, Erna!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Dhsmall_thumb

Daaammmnnn!!!

Posted by akcorr on August 31, 2010, 08:57 AM report to moderator

“who suffered from the decease” !

Must be awful for her to have to think that she’s the same age as her mum passed away at.

Posted by JoRowlingRocks on August 31, 2010, 09:01 AM report to moderator

Always a class act. Bravo, JK Rowling.

Posted by jeannemclROAR on August 31, 2010, 09:08 AM report to moderator
Trio_poster_thumb

Wow!!! Now that’s amazing.
Every honour to you Jo… :)))

Posted by Petra on August 31, 2010, 09:18 AM report to moderator

Best way to Donate…it’s given from the heart.

Posted by azna70 on August 31, 2010, 09:49 AM report to moderator
Img_7524_thumb

This is fantastic!! This means so much to me because my cousin, who’s a year older than Jo, has MS. Jo never ceases to astound me with her generosity!

Posted by RavenclawDancer on August 31, 2010, 09:57 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

What a generosity! It must have been tough to lose her mother who was so young. Great going Jo! You rock!!

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on August 31, 2010, 10:14 AM report to moderator
Rjlswingmusic_thumb

You make us proud, Jo. :-D

Posted by moonysmusician on August 31, 2010, 10:25 AM report to moderator
My_quote1_thumb

Although I do not know anyone you has had this horrible disease. I know that it is something that we must find the cure to. This act of kindness by Jo does not surprise be at all because she is such a wonderful person. She is always donating the money that she has earned to good causes. Good job Jo.

Posted by thundermountain7*Roar* on August 31, 2010, 10:27 AM report to moderator
Diagon_thumb

Wow, she never ceases to amaze me :) I love that I can look up to someone who is not only an amazing author, and has changed my life in so many ways, but also an amazing person. This is just so fantastic! The woman truly has a heart of gold.

Posted by Sigourney♥ on August 31, 2010, 11:02 AM report to moderator
Me_chris_snap_thumb

Edward, please change ‘decease’ to disease. It’s bothering me and stands out in the article.

Posted by Vineeth Thomas on August 31, 2010, 11:05 AM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

this is really special

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on August 31, 2010, 11:08 AM report to moderator
0322091528_thumb

Great to see her generosity.

Posted by taoist1 on August 31, 2010, 11:17 AM report to moderator
30000_1505825006284_1254046483_31391768_3891451_n_thumb

Everlastingly classy and generous, J. K. Rowling.

Posted by lumoslove on August 31, 2010, 11:28 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

great act,Jo! and thank you! my aunt suffers from MS and she’s in her 30’s. I know how horrible it is. I really hope they’ll figure out what to do.

Posted by Matea on August 31, 2010, 11:34 AM report to moderator

"Shall we do Snape's stuff first?" said Ron, dipping his quill into his ink. [i]"'The properties... of moonstone... and its uses... in potion-making...'"[/i] he muttered, writing the words across the top of his parchment as he spoke them. "There." He unde