Reports: John Williams Will Compose Score for "Deathly Hallows: Part 2"

Williams
Posted by: Mel
September 14, 2010, 04:32 AM

Our friends at Potterish have gotten confirmation from Warner Bros. Brazil that composer John Williams, who wrote the music for the first three Harry Potter films, will return to score the final movie, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2." "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" will be scored by Alexandre Desplat.

Update: While this is indeed exciting news, we still await final conformation on this information from WB.  Stay close to Leaky for the latest!

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" will be in theatres November 19th, and "Deathly Hallows: Part 2" will come out on July 15th, 2011.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Williams News

Dsc02812__2__thumb

Very appropriate to begin and end with the master of epic movie scores.

Posted by Lillylove on September 14, 2010, 08:14 AM report to moderator
Anime_thumb

Yes!!! But i wanted him to do both the parts.

Posted by Susmita singh on September 14, 2010, 08:16 AM report to moderator
P1010036_thumb

Great News! It is fitting that he would compose the final film. For continunity I would have liked him to do Part 1 also. I have Hedwig’sTheme on my cell phone along with Windows into the Pastl. His scores are the only ones that I listen to and know exactly where in the movies they were played. Thank You John Williams!!!!!!

Posted by Tonks1OoM4,CW[ROAR] on September 14, 2010, 08:31 AM report to moderator
Trio_poster_thumb

YES, YES!!! I’m soo hoping this is true…

Posted by Petra on September 14, 2010, 08:32 AM report to moderator
Sales_calendars_2011_042_thumb

this news made my day

Posted by hermy on September 14, 2010, 08:36 AM report to moderator
Dsc04252_thumb

very great news! almost too great to believe… :)

Posted by rizzijl on September 14, 2010, 08:59 AM report to moderator
13635_196007790588_520620588_4407705_7739899_n_thumb

I feel happy John Williams is composing for HP again, but a little worried that DH part1 and part2 will not mesh as well with the different composers. That being said, I still think both movies will be awesome, and still very excited!

Posted by Rosie016 on September 14, 2010, 09:13 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Thats great. I really liked his music

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on September 14, 2010, 09:14 AM report to moderator

Is it weird that this news is making me cry? I have been wishing he would come back for years. Nicholas Hooper was great and I’m glad he spent that time with us, but there’s no one like John Williams. The score for POA was way too underrated, it was a marvel of musical genius. John Williams is coming back. This is too much for me. Oh man I can’t stop crying.

Posted by pottermate on September 14, 2010, 09:22 AM report to moderator

I was just listening the music from PoA and said to my husband that I wondered that he didn’t got an Oscar for it. I loved it, but HBP music was great as well.

Posted by ginnyshiel on September 14, 2010, 09:35 AM report to moderator
121_3293_thumb

HOORAY! Hopefully JW will at least work a little with Desplat to make the two scores mesh well together.

Posted by JP Gagen on September 14, 2010, 09:35 AM report to moderator
Avcj_thumb

Fantastic news!

Posted by Princess Leia on September 14, 2010, 09:48 AM report to moderator
Normal_fredjorgeweasley_scarpotter_thumb

WOOHOO!!!My prayers have been heard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Slytherin Princess ^hiss^ on September 14, 2010, 09:54 AM report to moderator
Img_7524_thumb

WIN KITTY!!!!! Although it seems really weird that DH is being scored by two different people…but JOHN WILLIAMS YAY!!!

Posted by RavenclawDancer on September 14, 2010, 09:54 AM report to moderator

Just as I feared. Luckily I just bought some ear defenders as some builders have moved in next door …

This is a totally retrograde step by Yates and Heyman, and a total loss of nerve. The final film’s soundtrack will be non-stop Hollywood-esk-Spielbergian-OTT drivel. Sad.

I will be wearing earplugs to Part II of course but nothing will stop me going and nothing will stop Part II from overtaking PS/SS to become the highest grossing film of the series. Ironically. Though I’ll be amazed if Part I does better than HBP-OotP. Surely Twilight’s Breaking Dawn Part I will do better? That’d be hilarious.

Williams is a perfect Hollywood-score regurgitator-replicator, theme-park-muzak-maker, who made one single, admittedly BRILLIANT, contribution to the series and that of course is Hedwig’s Theme. Apart from that he is all bluster and noise when action scenes are called for, he starts loud and just gets LOUDER. That’s really all that this amounts to, a sop to Hollywood and the money-men.

Yates and Heyman have chosen to lose the battle with Warner’s and the marketing-men but they can still try and restrain Williams’s unfailing ability to drown out the acting, the special effects, the other sound effects, and even the images on the screen when there is any action. And, as Part II is almost entirely action, let’s see just how far Yates will allow all his work to be brushed aside under a welter of tsunami-like timpani and horns and a banzai-like barrage of a 1,000 demented strings.

If Williams is as subtle as an elephant with dysentery, how can Yates not understand his work will get drowned out by Williams’s sonic-BOOM-score? So sad, because he is unquestionably the best director the series has had, just as Hooper was easily the best composer.

Luckily, in the UK, superb French-made wax earplugs will apparently be made available to all over-30s at the cinema door for Part II, courtesy of the British National Health Service’s Preventable Ear Damage Dept. The bill will allegedly be passed on to Yates and Heyman. Very appropriate, and a small price to pay for kowtowing to Hollywood.

Posted by rotfang07 on September 14, 2010, 10:10 AM report to moderator

"I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter.... After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things -- terrible, yes, but great."[br]Harry shivered. He wasn't sure he liked Mr. Ollivander too much.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014