Leaky's Daily Quotedown to Deathly Hallows: 55 Days

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
September 26, 2010, 02:02 AM

There are now only 55 days left until "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I" hits theaters!  We are posting a quote from the first half of the book every day in celebration and to give us a chance to discuss and ponder the final book as it goes to film. Here is your special double quotedown!

"And under here, Hedwig" -- Harry pulled open a door under the stairs -- "is where I used to sleep! You never knew me then -- Blimey, it's small, I'd forgotten. . . ."
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, "The Seven Potters"

"No!" Harry shouted, and though he had raised his wand no spell occurred to him. "No! It wasn't us! We didn't kill you --"
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, "A Place to Hide"

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

02_twins_20-_20copy_129536961051705540_thumb

Silvery Doe-Where did you hear about the Hedwig thing? Because I remember reading in an interview with JK that she killed Hedwig because that was Harry last connection to being a child or leaving his childhood behind. Something like that. I’d love to read the interview with JK where she said that what she had originally planned!

Posted by joeys_mommy on September 26, 2010, 03:46 PM report to moderator
Hni_0022_thumb

the first quote is so touching..

Posted by ϟ☮Sindi a.k.a Remy [ROAR!!]☮ϟ on September 26, 2010, 04:00 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

It was a nice touch to have Hedwig be in a snit and ‘not talking to’ Harry in her last hours of life, even though it troubled me as a reader and compounded the tragedy of her death. It’s almost as if JKR is reminding us always to treat one another gently, if for no other reason than that we never know when what we say to a person will turn out to be the last thing we ever got a chance to say to them.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on September 26, 2010, 04:29 PM report to moderator
Fantasyart01_thumb

JK originally planned on Hedwig flying down and capturing the snitch in Harry’s first ever game of quidditch. (so he would have needed Hedwig to open the snitch just before he died in the last book) and then Hedwig was going to go with him to the forest and then die. However, JK’s editor didn’t like the quidditch idea, so she changed it to Harry swallowing the snitch.

Posted by Sasha on September 26, 2010, 04:32 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

I thought the dust figure was Mad Eye Moody, not Dumbledore. I really liked the first quote, where Harry looks back on his cupboard under the stairs and realizes how very small it was. It is a reminder of the nastiness of Petunia and Vernon too, as they could never accept their nephew for who he was. Or accept his talents, either! It took Dudley a long time to see how brave and talented Harry is, but we can forgive him a lot easier than Petunia and Vernon. Dudley’s experience with the dementors at least helped him realize exzctly what he was like, but Vernon and Petunia never saw themselves as they really were. Alas, poor Hedwig! I am glad that the movie will show her death as an act of courage.

Posted by Fresca ROAR on September 26, 2010, 06:37 PM report to moderator
Brookie_002_thumb

cool quotes! It’s so funny to think back to when Harry was just that little kid living in a closet. Now he’s a hero to the entire wizarding world.
As for the second quote remember when I read it in the book. It really scared me! I thought Dumbledore’s ghost came back and was acussing them. Then I realized it was just a thing made to scare Snape and I was just like, Thank godness!

Posted by mollyollyoxenfree8 on September 26, 2010, 09:05 PM report to moderator
Sales_calendars_2011_042_thumb

this made me cry,,reminded of hedwig

Posted by hermy on September 26, 2010, 09:15 PM report to moderator
38093_1525112213973_1419668696_2107419_4307673_n_thumb

memorires from the first book.. I’m going to read the first one again!

Posted by Sohumdore on September 26, 2010, 09:43 PM report to moderator
600full-harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows_-part-2-screenshot_thumb

I love Hedwig , a faithful owl and companion

Posted by maddison R-O-A-R on September 26, 2010, 10:47 PM report to moderator
Attackronwbirds_thumb

OMG i SO CANNOT W8 TiLL DHP1!!! Ahhhhh I can’t take it anymore! I want to watch Happy Potter and The Deathly Hallows already!!! <3

Posted by iLYooHx3 on September 27, 2010, 12:40 AM report to moderator

I love how Harry first arrived at Privet Drive on the flying motorbike with Hagrid, and then he leaves Privet Drive for the last time on it as well. Really brings everything full circle. ‘The seven potters’ chapter makes me want to cry, everything is coming to an end.

Posted by dobbylives02 on September 27, 2010, 02:04 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

I love the first quote. It always makes me feel like crying

Posted by hermione198k on September 27, 2010, 07:20 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Hedwig <3 Scary Dumbledore part!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on September 27, 2010, 05:41 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Hedwig <3 Scary Dumbledore part!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on September 27, 2010, 05:41 PM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2010-11-20_at_12

God that first quote is sad considering what happened.

Posted by SlyBones on September 28, 2010, 01:28 AM report to moderator

Ron looked as though he'd just been told he had to go and live in the Forbidden Forest.[br]"Can you imagine me taking exams with this?" he asked Harry, holding up his wand, which had just started whistling loudly.