Report: Alteration Made to Snape Death Scene in "Deathly Hallows," Says Art Director

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
January 18, 2011, 12:44 PM

An interview with the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" art director, Andrew Ackland-Snow, has revealed a bit of curious information from the forthcoming conclusion to final part of the Harry Potter film series.  This information, which is being reported in Cine Premiere Mexico, is quite spoiler-rific and details the death sequence of Severus Snape (portrayed by actor Alan Rickman) in the final film.  If you wish to find out this J. K. Rowling approved change, read below.

Last spoiler warning!

Cine Premiere Mexico reports:
"We wanted to change a bit where Snape dies. In the book, he dies on the Shrieking Shack, and we wanted to get him out from, not a conventional interior, but from that kind of box, to do it in a more dramatic atmosphere. We asked J.K. if she agreed for that to happen in there, because we hadn't really seen it before. We made a crystal house, and you can see what happens in the boat house from there - Are you listening Harry? -, but also the school is in flames...and she loved it. Besides, it's a very romantic place to die. Snape dies in a extremely good way, I gotta say."
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" arrives in theaters this July.

Thanks to HPANA for the heads up.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

For_your_consideration_thumb

cool :) snape deserves to die in a dramatic way, he is such a key part to the whole story :D
first :)

Posted by Harrypotterultrafan on January 18, 2011, 12:53 PM report to moderator

While my first inclination was “Why are they changing it?”, after reading the new setup, I agree – I think it will be more cinematic and interesting. Snapes deserves a good send-off…

Posted by PWilly on January 18, 2011, 01:05 PM report to moderator
Mugsp_profile_thumb

I’m okay with them milking Snape’s death to make it more dramatic and intense. However, I’m just a little confused where exactly this is. A crystal boat house? I’m confused. Is he on the Black Lake? I’m assuming they’re keeping the rest of the story the same and the battle is still in full gear so they have to be relatively close to everything. He’s death was brutal, so if they make it more poetic that’s okay. I don’t mind a location change as long as it’s not a story change. As long as the heart of the scene is still there, I trust this heart-wrenching moment will be fine.

Posted by eiVega on January 18, 2011, 01:08 PM report to moderator
Missing_you____by_luquidkiss_thumb

I agree with both comments above. I think it’ll probably work very nicely. But I won’t be able to watch it anyway because I’m terrified of snakes…sigh

Posted by Evealle on January 18, 2011, 01:11 PM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

Snape’s death scene was absolutely chilling. I hope none of the drama is lost in the film. I try not to parse quotes from the filmmakers, but what does he mean by “it’s a very romantic place to die”? I thought everything was perfect about this scene when I read it. Hardly romantic, but why would it be?

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on January 18, 2011, 01:14 PM report to moderator

Did anyone else have to reread the quote a few times? I still have no idea what is happening. Why is “Are you listening Harry” in this at all? He mentions a crystal house, then a boat house, then the school being in flames, all in what looks like the same sentence. Is anyone else absolutely and horribly confused with this?

Posted by reallyocean on January 18, 2011, 01:19 PM report to moderator
Phpyyqy43_c2am_thumb

Hey, if J.K. is good with this, who am I to argue? Sometimes a movie has to pursue something more cinematically artful, very different from literature. Still can’t wait to see it!!!

Posted by weasleywannabe1997 on January 18, 2011, 01:22 PM report to moderator

I’m quite glad for it. I know the point was that he died the way he lived, but I held out hope that he might die a hero’s death. This still isn’t in the heat of battle, but it’s better than the dirty, dusty floor of the Shrieking Shack.

Posted by oldtrustylegs on January 18, 2011, 01:25 PM report to moderator

I think this change is a good idea, and I’d appreciate a slight change to Snape’s last words, too. “Look at me” to Harry is so vague, and I’m not sure what J.K. Rowling intended by it. My preference would be a lot hokier, but a lot clearer, “Dumbledore was right – you do have her eyes.”

Posted by filmalicia on January 18, 2011, 01:28 PM report to moderator
13635_196007790588_520620588_4407705_7739899_n_thumb

I am not happy about any variations from the book in the movies, but I am glad I know this now so I have time to get used to it. Have a feeling there will be a lot of differences int his last movie :-P

Posted by Rosie016 on January 18, 2011, 01:50 PM report to moderator

@filmalicia Since at this point the reader is still supposed to think Snape is a villain and they have no clue what is coming, the words are intentionally vague. To say that would immediately turn the reader on to the big plot twist right before the climax of the book. It’s purposefully vague. Haunting, really.

Also, Snape was never in doubt about whether or not Harry had Lily’s eyes. It was probably the reason he agreed to protect Harry.

Posted by Roninjoey on January 18, 2011, 02:23 PM report to moderator
Escudo20ravenclaw__1__thumb

Snape deserves to die heroically… but that would change the story too much. At first, I was like: WHAT? please don’t change something AGAIN!, but then i was like: okay. i understand. I don’t like the whole crystal thing, and i think that it would be better if it was in the shrieking shack, because it adds to the whole spookiness of the thing. I just wish they could do it exactly the same way as the book.

Posted by cloethebelatrixlover on January 18, 2011, 02:23 PM report to moderator

As long as he still asks Harry to look into his eyes- so he can see Lily’s eyes one last time, I think I am okay. Wondering how Harry is going to sneak up on Lord Voldemort and Snape if they are in a glass house. Maybe under the cloak?

Posted by iamnotworriedharry on January 18, 2011, 02:56 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lqrx423roq1qe3aixo1_500_thumb

why do they keep changing it? the book was perfect as it was, and very detailed, just follow the instructions that are in the book!

I think I’m gonna cry in this movie, I did cry when Snape died, I figured he was good from before.

Posted by PadfootPet on January 18, 2011, 03:05 PM report to moderator

I think it’s fine for them to make it a bit more dramatic and visually appealing… but I do think JKR was weaving in a lot of people and places from the series into the last book… most of which were like book-ends to their earlier appearances. But how the hell does Harry, Ron and Hermonine all sneak up on a crystal house? I guess they use the cloak.

We already know that they are changing the final showdown between Harry and Voldemort… I mean that whole thing with Voldy grabbing Harry’s face and asking him “Why do you live?” I mean, if he got that close to Harry to touch him, why not use a knife and be done with it?

As long as “Not my Daughter, YOU BITCH” is in there… I’m good.

Posted by DumbledoresMan5769 on January 18, 2011, 03:13 PM report to moderator

Neville was turning steadily more purple in the face while tugging at Crabbe's arms, and Hermione was attempting vainly to throw Millicent Bulstrode off her. Luna, however, stood limply by the side of her captor, gazing vaguely out of the window as though