Alan Rickman Talks Snape

Rickman
Posted by: Mel
December 30, 2011, 07:44 PM

In a new interview with the LA Times Hero Complex, Alan Rickman discusses what it was like to play Professor Severus Snape over a decade:

“It was a punctuation mark in my life every year because I would be doing other things but always come back to that and I was always aware of my place in the story even as others around me were not,” Rickman said. “Am I sad? The point about a great story is that it’s got a beginning, a middle and end. The ending of this story was quite popular and beautifully judged by Jo Rowling and David Yates, so it’s not a cause for sadness; it’s a cause for celebration that it was rounded off so well.”

Rickman also expresses his admiration for J. K. Rowling, for knowing how the story was going to end so many years in advance:

“It’s completely staggering that she had all of that in her head,” Rickman said. “Rumor has it that she put the ending in a bank vault when she was writing the beginning. So she held it all in her head, all seven books. It’s jaw-dropping, really. When we started she had only written three of the books so it was like trying to walk down two potential roads not at all knowing what the end would be but having some sense of what that man’s life was,” Rickman said. “I knew with Snape I was working as a double agent, as it turns out, and a very good one at that.”

Director David Yates and producer David Heyman also weigh in on Rickman's portrayal of Snape, and there is some discussion of Rickman's other acting roles further on in the article.

Many thanks to Hagiographer13 for sending this in!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Rickman News

Raven_avatar_thumb

Absolutely brill…

Posted by Won_Two on December 31, 2011, 01:27 PM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

I’ve seen Alan Rickman in other movies before HP and he was great in those also. He’s a great actor.

Posted by molly43 on December 31, 2011, 04:11 PM report to moderator

Is it too late to marry him? Lol I love Alan Rickman! He was the best person to play Snape! SO glad he enjoyed it as well…

Posted by alynnrand on December 31, 2011, 07:19 PM report to moderator

It really is staggering, and I’m amazed that JK Rowling had so much of the book laid out before she completed the later novels. Rickman did an incredible job – I’m amazed in every movie by his performance. Thanks for sharing the interview! :D

Posted by bellahawthorne on January 01, 2012, 11:25 AM report to moderator
Hunger_games_harry_potter_thumb

Alan Rickman was amazing as snape I just realized how much he looks like Chuck Norris

Posted by GinnyWeasley777 on January 01, 2012, 04:33 PM report to moderator
Bronwyn_almost_4_months_thumb

Prof Snape was always one of my favorite charcters – I couldn’t pin him down, but was sure there was more to him than what Harry was seeing. Alan Rickman was a perfect choice; the roles I first saw him in were almost all evil then he was a sympathetic, romantic lead in Sense & Senisbility… When we finally got to see all of Severus everything in he did in the previous books just took on new light. JKR is brilliant in her character development and Alan was billiant in bringing him to life/the screen.

Posted by Xyra44 on January 02, 2012, 11:24 AM report to moderator

I’m still in awe at how perfectly he embodied the role! He’s an astounding actor all around

Posted by CloakKnight on January 03, 2012, 02:32 AM report to moderator

An amazing interview, thanks MyLeaky! I agree, I’m quite as astonished as Alan that Jo had so much planned out!

Posted by . on January 03, 2012, 09:43 PM report to moderator

Well, everyone else has summed it up quite nicely for me! Alan is truly a genius of and actor and the consumate Snape!
Bravo!!!!

Posted by hewy on January 04, 2012, 04:19 PM report to moderator
End_of_an_era_thumb

Alan Rickman was perfect for the role of Snape, I really can not think of anyone else who could have done the job. He is an amazing actor, and every time I read the books, it’s Alan Rickman I see in my mind.

Posted by DrarryLover on January 11, 2012, 06:21 AM report to moderator

I read this awesome interview a few days ago, while looking up some information about Alan’s play on Broadway (which I plan on seeing this year!) What beautiful, insightful, thoroughly delightful thoughts from one of the greatest actors whose works I’ve ever had the privilege of watching. “The perfect Snape” would be putting it mildly—thank you, indeed, Mr. Rickman, for drawing me into the Harry Potter world approximately ten years ago with your absolutely enchanting and compelling performance.

Posted by Narcissatrix on January 13, 2012, 12:28 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"So, Granger, I'll have five [points] from you for being rude about our new headmistress... Macmillan, five for contradicting me... Five because I don't like you, Potter... Weasley, your shirt's untucked, so I'll have another five for that... Oh yeah, I f