Daniel Radcliffe's Five Influential Books For Scholastics 'You Are What You Read' Campaign

Radcliffe
Posted by: Stephanie_J
June 26, 2011, 08:26 PM

Scholastic's latest campaign, You Are What You Read, encourages readers to create a list - or "bookprint" - of books that have left an "indelible mark on our lives, shaping who we are and who we've become."

A few notable names have shared their personal bookprint with Scholastic, including Harry Potter actor Daniel Radcliffe. His picks include the classics The Old Man and the Sea and Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. And, of course, not to be left out: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone!

You can read Mr. Radcliffe's complete top five list below along with a short explanation for each of his choices:

1. The Old Man and the Sea
"I think the Old Man and Sea was probably the first book by a really classic author that I ever read, and it was then that I realized that things were classics for a reason, and they weren’t all just really, really, really hard work."

2. Germinal
"Germinal by Emile Zola was the first sort of longer and more European novel that I ever read, and I remember reading it in like five days. It’s a long book, and I’m a slow reader, but I just did nothing else."

3. Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
"It was given to me on my 15th birthday by a friend, and I just thought it was the funniest thing I ever read and kind of amazing and captured the period of time brilliantly."

4. The Master and Margarita
"The Master and Margarita is my favorite, favorite book in the world ever by Mikhail. To me it’s the greatest exploration of the human imagination, and it’s about forgiveness and life and history, and it’s just the most incredible book that I’ve ever read; I read it once and then I read it almost immediately again."

5. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
"I think it’s fair to say that if we’re talking about the five books that have most influenced my life, I think it would be pretty churlish of me not to say Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone for giving me everything that I have and everything that I will have."
Other famous faces who have shared their bookprint with Scholastic include actress Sarah Jessica Parker, tennis player Serena Williams, and writer/director Richard Curtis.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Call_me_snuffles_thumb

I’m glad Dan mentioned HP, even if it was last. DH would be at the top of my list, for sure. I’ve never heard of most of the other books on Dan’s list, so now I have four new books to read!

Posted by Free Elf on June 27, 2011, 09:56 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Ok, adding four more books to my list!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on June 27, 2011, 10:43 PM report to moderator

People, I don’t think they are in order of importance, it’s just the five that he feels have influenced him the most.
Dan loves studing literature and obviously knows how to understand a difficult book. With some of these books is not just reading them but understanding all their different layers, which personally I think its part of the fun.

Posted by ethanHP on June 28, 2011, 10:05 AM report to moderator

LOVE Old Man and The Sea. Hemmingway is great. Halarious that he said HP…

Posted by ElphabaROCKS on June 28, 2011, 06:08 PM report to moderator
Batman_thumb

Great idea from Scholastic and so glad the Harry Potter is there.
But I now know what the next 4 books I will read will be. ;D

Posted by Crazy and Proud on June 29, 2011, 02:38 PM report to moderator

Ron was pointing at the red envelope. It looked quite ordinary to Harry, but Ron and Neville were both looking at it as though they expected it to explode.[br]"What's the matter?" said Harry.[br]"She's -- she's sent me a Howler," said Ron faintly.