Emma Watson: Hermione Has "A Heart of Gold", University Magazine Interview and Pictures

Watson Interviews
Posted by: Rosi
June 26, 2011, 04:04 PM

UAE University Magazine has published a great interview (although seemingly conducted some months ago) with Emma Watson in which the actress talks about her role as Hermione, future projects, an "addiction" to learning and more. The Watson spoke about taking pleasure in the "little things" whilst at university, such as sitting in her dorm room eating pizza, and named Jodie Foster, Gwyneth Paltrow, Hilary Swank, Cate Blanchett, Meryl Streep and Natalie Portman amongst her role models, although added that she will "follow [her] own path". The magazine included some brand new photographs from Watson's photoshoot with Mariano Vivanco, which you can find here on the UAE University Magazine website and in our galleries shortly!

Are you scared that people will only see you as Hermione and nothing else?
It’s funny, everyone keeps asking me that. I don’t feel scared at all. She is such an amazing role, such an amazing character. I don’t really want people to forget.

But what if you play another role and people remember you as Hermione?

I hope that I’m a good enough actress that people forget. And the other thing is that I’m still growing. I’m still changing in my physical appearance and in the way that I am. So I don’t think it should be too difficult. It’s not like I’m already formed. I’m still changing, I’m still diversifying. Maybe it’s ignorance that I’m not too worried but I’m not really.

Do you miss the hair around your head?
With short hair you’ve got to be a bit bolder, there’s nothing to hide behind. So it’s made me be bolder in my fashion choices. It’s actually made me more confident as a person I think. I’m not sure why that is. But it has.

Do you remember the experience of reading and anticipating the last book?
Definitely. It’s so funny, I was going on holiday the day that the last book was released. They were sending me a copy but I didn’t get it cause I wasn’t at home. So I was queuing in the airport for the book. I remember someone spotting me in the queue going “are you Emma Watson? Are you queuing for the Harry Potter book?” “Yes”. It was quite surreal really. I was dying…I couldn’t really wait until they send it to me. I just had to have it the minute I could get my hands on it.

What do you think of your dancing scene with Harry that is not in the book?
I think that it’s important cause the film is so intense. From the opening scene, it’s intense and all the way through until the end. So without that scene there wouldn’t be much reprieve. It’s a nice break. But it’s also nice to see Harry tender and caring towards Hermione, just showing how nice a boy-girl friendship can be.

Watson also mentioned that she definitely "hopes" to be called an action heroine after the last film and agreed with Daniel Radcliffe's assessment of filming some of the action scenes, with Emma describing filming as:
A bit scary at times. We didn’t really have much training or much warning sometimes. As much as they can prepare you or put stunt doubles in there, there’s a certain amount that you have to do yourself. You can’t get away from doing nothing. I guess that was scary. I threw myself off the top of a vault onto the back of a dragon. But it meant that I was doing a sort of…I mean I had crash mats. I don’t want to exaggerate, 20 or 30 foot drop. I just had to dive off into my stomach. [...] Your body’s saying “no,no,no!” And you have to just do it. And the pyrotechnics. There were lots of bangs and explosions. When there’s one fight, to get those sparks and stuff they plant pyrotechnics everywhere and I was terrified that I was gonna…if you run the wrong way or you go in the wrong direction or whatever, you have to be very…you gotta act at the same time as being aware of where all of them are whilst remaining on camera whilst…and you’re just like “Oh God, please don’t let…” You just hope you’re not gonna screw up really.
Emma finished up the interview with an explanation for her choice to study, commenting, "I just love learning. I’m like addicted to learning. I just want to know as much as I possibly can. It’s never enough for me. And I’ll never stop. I just really love knowledge. Addicted!"

Read the full interview at this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson Interviews News

Images_thumb

That would be pretty scary having to those stunts! First comment!

Posted by harry potter fan #1 on June 26, 2011, 04:22 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

I meant to say “having to do those stunts”.

Posted by harry potter fan #1 on June 26, 2011, 04:22 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

I miss her having long hair :(

Posted by harry potter fan #1 on June 26, 2011, 04:26 PM report to moderator
Th_abaharrypotter_thumb

Wow but the dance seen was so not neccesary unless you had doubts about a “spark” with Harry/Hermoine. It was perfect timing for that, otherwise not needed. Regarding her future career, break a leg dear girl. Best of luck and cheers! I will be looking forward to it.

Posted by Rhemas on June 26, 2011, 05:10 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_philosopher_s_stone_thumb

Interesting…I suppose.

Posted by RubeusHagrid on June 26, 2011, 05:16 PM report to moderator
Tonks_thumb

haha she sounds just like the real hermoine in the books!!! She looks so strange with short hair though. i was totally shocked the first time i saw her new do!

Posted by sboyer06 on June 26, 2011, 05:19 PM report to moderator

She will forever be my rolemodel.

Posted by Imperiused on June 26, 2011, 06:12 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

This was supposed to be a magazine about/for university students? That’s a depressing thought, as the interview was so horribly edited – about the level of a student newspaper.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on June 26, 2011, 06:26 PM report to moderator
O_chap28_thumb

shes so REAL!!!!! I love how she is so much like hermione but then so different, its like they could be sisters. I love her hair! (well maybe i like it cuz its just like mine) :)

Posted by lauren77 on June 26, 2011, 06:46 PM report to moderator
Golden_snitch_thumb

I love her <3
Always has been and always will be my role model. :)

Posted by Emmasquared on June 26, 2011, 06:53 PM report to moderator
Img_0488_thumb

wow. She is Hermione. But no matter what i will follow her whereever

Posted by dobbyzgirl on June 26, 2011, 07:28 PM report to moderator
Close_up_thumb

She’s so raw. It’s great because with everything, her fame, money, etc, she could get away with the typical answer but she never does. <3 her.

Posted by HelloWorld on June 26, 2011, 07:32 PM report to moderator
Close_up_thumb

Posted by HelloWorld on June 26, 2011, 07:32 PM report to moderator
Minerva_mcgonnagle_thumb

What a wonderful talented truthful young lady she is. Honesty and integrity follow her wherever she is. Great article. I think Emma is so lucky that she can wear her hair both long and short. She has a beautiful face and can definitely get away with wearing it short. Love it. Pure Sass…..

Posted by MargyA on June 26, 2011, 08:52 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

Emma is so much like Hermione, and after playing her for 10 years you can see how the two people have melded into one. She’s just so great!
I would never be brave enough to cut all my hair off like she did, I freak out at losing an inch! But she looks wonderful with it short. :)

Posted by LunaLuver on June 26, 2011, 10:09 PM report to moderator

At once, Harry's scar burned white-hot, as though the old wound had burst open again -- and unbidden, unwanted, but terrifyingly strong, there rose within Harry a hatred so powerful he felt, for that instant, that he would like nothing better than to stri