James Phelps Talks Fred Weasley's Death Scene

DH Film
Posted by: Mel
July 01, 2011, 07:46 PM

Parade has a new interview with James Phelps (Fred Weasley) where he discusses, among other things, what it was like to have a death scene for a character he's played for ten years:

“It was surreal. I feel like a really close friend has died. It was more like a Saving Private Ryan scene than Harry Potter, so it was kind of cool, because every guy wants to be in an action movie and that’s what this is. But I pretty much just laid there and fell asleep. I think it was more of a challenge for the other guys than me. Rupert [Grint] and Oliver [Phelps], they really upped their game for that one. Hopefully people will like how it's been done.”

Phelps also reflected on his first day of shooting on "Philosopher's Stone":

“I remember it very clearly. We were in a little village in Yorkshire, literally in the middle of the countryside, and we shot the last scene of the first movie when Harry gets back on the train. That’s the first scene we ever shot, and I can remember being nervous as hell.”

Phelps also goes into what souvenir he took from the Harry Potter set and sharing the experience of filming the movies with his brother Oliver in the rest of the interview, which you can read here.

Many thanks to Parade!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Daniel_radcliffe__rupert_grint__emma_watson_harry_potter_and_the_deathly_hallows_movie_image_1_thumb

Go Leaky!!!

Posted by crikeyhunter on July 01, 2011, 08:06 PM report to moderator

I’m so excited to see this movie. I know I’m going to be crying the entire time. ♥♥

Posted by asiefert on July 01, 2011, 08:12 PM report to moderator
T_129495617081304220_thumb

ya theres alot of sad moments in the deathly hallows like the deaths.

Posted by #1harrypotterfan{HISS} on July 01, 2011, 08:16 PM report to moderator
Prophecy_thumb

From the picture of Fred’s death scene, it looks like Percy wasn’t there with him when he died. Since James only mentions Rupert and Oliver being there, it looks like it’s an accurate assumption. This upsets me verily. I don’t understand why they change things like this that don’t take time away from the film that could have been occupied with the greater plot. Things like that are why I loathe Kloves with the white hot passion of a thousand suns.

Posted by DeliaDee on July 01, 2011, 08:27 PM report to moderator
Normal_dh2_articles_2011screen_0002_thumb

Great to see an interview with him, he and Oliver don’t seem to get many interviews…. it really must have been weird and really hard for Oliver to have to imagine himself in that situation, that his twin brother is dead. I can see why it would be emotionally draining…

@DeliaDee: I think the picture we saw in the one trailer may have been later during a lull in the battle when the Weasleys are gathered around Fred’s body. Harry’s under the Invisibility Cloak at that time, either on his way to or from Dumbledore’s office (when he watches Snape’s memories). Because I seem to remember Mrs. Weasley being in that clip too. And neither her or George was there when Fred actually dies in the book…

Posted by Bellatrix The Strange on July 01, 2011, 08:31 PM report to moderator
Daniel-radcliff-how-to-succeed1-240x300_normal_thumb

will be sad!

Posted by HalfbloodPrince08 on July 01, 2011, 08:32 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lcxwnkic8n1qf9o7go1_400_thumb_thumb

I’m taking a box of Kleenex to the theatre. Between this and The Prince’s Tale, I’m pretty sure I’m going to need them.

Posted by lauravsgravity on July 01, 2011, 08:35 PM report to moderator

awwww! :( I’m gonna cry my eyes out at the midnight showing when Fred dies!!! :(

Posted by MrsGinnyMPotter on July 01, 2011, 08:38 PM report to moderator

Posted by MrsGinnyMPotter on July 01, 2011, 08:38 PM report to moderator
Headshot_thumb

This is going to be so depressing. This was the worst DH death for me.

Posted by Lysh on July 01, 2011, 08:41 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I know I’m going to cry my eyes out when Fred dies! :’(

Posted by LunaLuver on July 01, 2011, 09:04 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Gonna be a tear jerker for sure!

Posted by Won_Two on July 01, 2011, 09:31 PM report to moderator

i’m going to cry when fred dies, i never cry when watching movies!!!!! :’(

Posted by Nikki lovegoode on July 01, 2011, 09:53 PM report to moderator
Khhp_thumb

Lol why was the very first scene they filmed the last scene in the movie?

Posted by doctorpope181 on July 01, 2011, 10:46 PM report to moderator

That’s gonna be so sad! I hope they didn’t cut his dead scene, it takes a large part in the book, and I hope that we’re gonna see George’s reaction, even that’s gonna break our heart!

Posted by Juliette1981 on July 01, 2011, 11:13 PM report to moderator

"We were all in the D.A. together," said Neville quietly. "It was all supposed to be about fighting You-Know-Who, wasn't it? And this is the first chance we've had to do something real -- or was that all just a game or something?"