Jason Isaacs Talks Lucius Malfoy's Transformation, Calls Draco Malfoy 'Hero of the Whole Saga'

Isaacs Interviews
Posted by: Stephanie_J
July 05, 2011, 07:20 PM

The LA Times' Hero Complex blog has published a new interview with actor Jason Isaacs about his work as Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter series.

Mr. Isaacs reflects on what it was like to play the villain of the series, and learning more about Lucius' character as the story went on. He says that "nothing has brought me greater joy" than being part of the Harry Potter films and comments on being a mentor for the younger actors.

NC: As a villain, Lucius Malfoy has a very interesting character arc.

JI: Well, he has an arc. I think that sets him apart from an awful lot of the adults who do not have the luxury of playing that. It’s not that we haven’t all had a riot doing it. But the Lucius that you see, shambling along, this alcoholic husk of an emasculated man in the “Deathly Hallows” films is so completely different from the strutting peacock of “Chamber of Secrets,” and it’s been enormously good fun to play that journey.
Mr. Isaacs also went on to explain how he viewed the character of Draco Malfoy (played by actor Tom Felton) to be "the hero of the whole saga." He says he felt the need in "Chamber of Secrets," "to explain how Draco turned out to be who he was."
Because in many ways, to me, Draco is the hero of the whole saga. I think Harry has his destiny. There is only one choice Harry can make in every situation. Harry makes the right choice always, and he’s admirable for doing so. But Draco has a bunch of choices, and Draco has to break the bonds of the shackles of his past. He has to break the chain of this kind of abuse and hatred and selfishness and entitlement that his father has been part of, and probably his grandfather and stretching back for generations. And so I saw my job as trying to illustrate how you end up with a kid as messed up as Draco.
The full interview with Mr. Isaacs can be read here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Isaacs Interviews News

I’m happy to see that not very many people are deceived into thinkng Draco is Heroic. I had my hands full staying ahead of the Draco’s when I was in school. If there had been only a few more, one of them would have eventually caught me, and there would have been bloody violence.

Posted by trontech on July 06, 2011, 10:12 AM report to moderator
-_owl_post_-_thumb

Draco? the hero of the whole saga? nonsense…

Posted by Felipe on July 06, 2011, 12:48 PM report to moderator
Normal_dh2_articles_2011screen_0002_thumb

I love Jason Isaacs. He’s so great. :) You can really tell that he loves the whole series, he just seems to relish the whole experience… and I’m SO glad he took charge of creating Lucius’s look :D

Posted by Bellatrix The Strange on July 06, 2011, 02:43 PM report to moderator

I wouldn’t go that far to say that Draco’s a hero, but he does in a way an important part of the Harry Potter series! (:
I love this interview, and I love how Jason Isaacs really did do his best in the movies, and the cast and crew too! I’m going to miss this! I love Harry Potter! <333

Posted by . on July 06, 2011, 05:02 PM report to moderator
Close_up_thumb

I don’t know if we really should decide who the hero of the series is. Harry is most certainly a Hero, but so are/were Lupin, Tonks, Molly, Arthur, Fred, George, Neville, Ginny, Luna, etc. Most certainly Hermione and Ron were. Draco, is a special kind of hero in that he does not really do anything heroic, but instead is rather courageous in his final decision. Harry Potter is chalk full of heroes. Harry is just the obvious pick as the primary protagonist.

Posted by HelloWorld on July 06, 2011, 09:32 PM report to moderator
Close_up_thumb

@ Trontech IDK if it’s truly deception. You’re absolutely correct there are many bullies in the world, and certainly Draco bullied Harry. I don’t think Isaacs is saying otherwise, nor is he excusing Draco’s actions. But what is significantly important about Draco is the abusive power that is held over him. His father is a bully, his Mother is passive, his Aunt is a psychotic bully, he’s been raised in an abusive environment. He is the product of being brainwashed and terrified (as anyone would be if their family were long time supporters of a murderer). Further the decision to defy his father would have put him outside of…everything. The good side hated him, lets not pretend the Harry would have welcomed Draco, nor would anyone else. But Draco has the courage to walk away from his abuse and abuser/s. Draco is a hero to those kids (and there are many) who have been abused or who continue to be abused. Put yourself in the shoes of a child who is being abused, who is terrified everyday, who understands Draco’s burden. His decision to walk away suddenly becomes much more heroic and important.

Posted by HelloWorld on July 06, 2011, 10:17 PM report to moderator
P1010012_thumb

I LOVE JASON ISAACS!!!!!!

ahem…

I agree with you so much, HelloWorld – so many bullies are being abused at home. And in Draco’s case (and this shows up in the outside world all the time) he was taught from babyhood to treat the house elves badly, people who were consider less than he was and he was suppose to show them contempt, even as he was learning to talk. What does that do to a person? We see that happening around us, parents teaching their kids that they should feel and show contempt to people who are unlike them. Maybe having global internet connections will help us get over this, maybe?

Posted by Gwynog'srabbit on July 07, 2011, 11:33 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Very insightful! Changed my view on Draco a bit.

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on July 11, 2011, 05:20 PM report to moderator