J.K. Rowling Talks About "Who Do You Think You Are?" Episode with Radio Times

JKR Interviews
Posted by: Stephanie_J
August 01, 2011, 10:39 PM

Author J.K. Rowling recently gave an interview to Radio Times magazine in conjunction with her upcoming episode for the BBC show, "Who Do You Think You Are?"

As Leaky reported in June, Ms. Rowling decided to appear on the show to trace her mother's French ancestry. Excerpts from her interview were published by the AP and can be seen below:

Rowling told the Radio Times that the experience was an upsetting and emotional one. She said taking part in her genealogy research made her so emotional that she cried several times.

"There were a lot of big surprises, some wonderful, and one rather upsetting," she said in an interview.

"However, I went into the program wanting the truth, no matter what it was, because I knew so little about my French ancestry, and I don't regret a moment of it. I loved the whole experience," she added.
She said that she has undertook the project because her mother Anne Volant, who died in 1990, was very interested in her French roots but never got the chance to explore them.

"A huge motivation in looking into my family history is my mother. It's very much bound up in that loss," she said.
J.K. Rowling's episode of "Who Do You Think You Are?" is expected towards the end of this month.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent JKR Interviews News

Rofr10_thumb

I have seen 17th August reported as the day the programme will air.

Posted by roonwit on August 02, 2011, 10:44 AM report to moderator
423928_2979823569581_1081661667_32966780_333709726_n_thumb

It is “upsetting”? I hope it isn’t a bad experience for Jo.

Posted by Gene *ROAR* on August 02, 2011, 12:44 PM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

As with everyone else here I’ll excitely watch anything with my hero in it! Can’t wait to see it, please Leaky keep us informed of when it’ll be on. It’s a good show even though I’ve only seen two episiodes. The one with Stephen Fry and one with Sarah Jessica Parker. Both very very interesting

Posted by KiwiMcI on August 02, 2011, 12:55 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_thumb

this will be really cool! i hope it will be on for us in the states. J.K. never does celebrity things like this, so I am very excited.

Posted by moisenallie16 on August 02, 2011, 04:00 PM report to moderator

I really would be forward to watching that! What channel is it on again? I never heard of it till now!

Posted by . on August 02, 2011, 04:25 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

The series will be on BBC ONE at 9pm on Wednesdays in the UK. Jo’s episode may be on 17th August.

Posted by roonwit on August 02, 2011, 04:58 PM report to moderator
354970789b_thumb

Can’t wait to see it. I just love everything about Jo, she’s a real fighter and an inspiration!

Posted by Vicki_The_House_Elf *ROAR* ϟ on August 02, 2011, 05:09 PM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

Well — I am in the US so maybe it will be online someday.

Posted by Girlraven1 on August 02, 2011, 08:49 PM report to moderator
Image_thumb

Intriguing! Can’t wait to watch it…

Posted by Smitch on August 03, 2011, 06:52 PM report to moderator
Believe_in_yourself_thumb

I’m looking forward to watching it. Nice article in the Radio Times too, btw.

Posted by Tarana on August 05, 2011, 06:05 PM report to moderator

I’m hoping this will get shown in the states as part of the version of the show on NBC. If not, fingers crossed it will be online.

Posted by FinallyPJ on August 05, 2011, 11:02 PM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Gotta see the show

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on August 08, 2011, 07:51 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

It was a Firebolt... Its handle glittered as he picked it up. He could feel it vibrating and let go; it hung in midair, unsupported, at exactly the right height for him to mount it. His eyes moved from the golden registration number at the top of the hand