First Impressions of Pottermore Appear Online

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
August 15, 2011, 11:24 PM

A few hours ago, early beta access was opened to a select few registered members of Pottermore, J. K. Rowling's newest Harry Potter project.  A few entertainment sites have posted early reviews and first impressions of the site.  Be warned, spoilers Entertainment Weekly had this to say of the site:

First things first, for those who were worried that this would be just the skeletal frame of a game used to sell audiobooks or ebooks or plush sorting hats or whatever: it’s not. Even though the site is currently limited to material relating to the first book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, there’s still more than enough to make your entire afternoon disappear like a temporus suckus spell.
EW delves further into the detail of the site, commenting on the different moments and elements included in Pottermore.  Big Shiny Robot also has a first impression review online, stepping through the first steps of the experience.  To hear their thoughts, click here to read.

A number of Leaky readers have let us know they been among those granted early access to the site. If you have, please do let us know @Leaky or in the comments below!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Flowers1_thumb

I think at least all of Days 1-3 people should be granted access before Days 4-7. The first 3 questions were considerably harder than the remaining 4. It only seems more fair that those who had to do more work get access first.

At any rate, I’ll be mad if I don’t get mine till September. Almost seems pointless to be granted access just a few weeks before everyone else. Doesn’t give you much time to explore and give feedback.

Posted by purplehogwarts on August 16, 2011, 01:34 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Obsessing about the fairness of the process seems a bit pointless to me. Bear in mind that a beta test is…well, a test, and we don’t know what they’re testing, specifically. Sure, part of it, maybe most of it, is pinpointing technical problems. But I’m willing to bet that they are also doing stuff that might be better characterized as market research.

For instance, they might want to know if the site looks OK using different browsers, so they might do a test that involves selecting 50 users of each of several different browsers and seeing how their feedback compares. In that case, people who got entry on Day 2 but use a rare browser might get preferential treatment over other people who got entry on Day 1 but use Internet Explorer. It’s not unfair if it’s helping them see how the whole thing works.

Other examples of selectivity that I’ve seen suggested are comparing groups of users from different countries/languages to make sure the instructions are translated clearly, or from different age groups to get an idea if a particular challenge is too difficult for children. Insisting that they don’t have the right to slice and dice the control groups as they find useful, just because we feel entitled to be given access in the same order as that in which we first signed up, just strikes me as a little immature and unrealistic.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on August 16, 2011, 01:40 PM report to moderator
Asha_and_caleb_thumb

I’ve got mixed feelings about getting an early welcome letter. Part of me hopes it comes, but then part of me wonders how much of the experience I’ll miss by getting in early.

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on August 16, 2011, 01:45 PM report to moderator
354970789b_thumb

Still waiting. And waiting. And waiting. And waiting. Do they not know that I’m Riddikulusly impatient?!

Posted by Vicki_The_House_Elf *ROAR* ϟ on August 16, 2011, 03:38 PM report to moderator
Dscn0194_thumb
1921 Points

I’m hoping that everything that’s there stays there online, so if you go away for awhile (thinking holidays, vacations), you won’t miss out on anything. Really can’t wait to get my wand and be Sorted! (Bit nervous about the latter, just like a first year!)

Posted by izziewitch on August 16, 2011, 03:39 PM report to moderator

I knew it wouldn’t disappoint! Must check my email now!

Posted by . on August 16, 2011, 03:44 PM report to moderator
Jenavieve_one_thumb

OMG I CANT WAIT !!! I still didnt get my email today….

Posted by AlexWeasley12 {WitchFelicis130} on August 16, 2011, 03:47 PM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

Thanks, WeenyOwl. As I said before, I don’t mind someone, especially kids, getting in before me because it’s so much harder to wait when you’re a kid. I think you’ve got some great points!

Posted by LovesLaborLost on August 16, 2011, 03:48 PM report to moderator
Beach_thumb

It’s not for me to say what is fair… I am just not-so-patiently waiting for my welcome email! :) I can’t wait to see & wish those of you that had gotten in would spill a little more! LOL!

Posted by StephieLB on August 16, 2011, 04:00 PM report to moderator
Dscn0187_thumb

This web site might just endanger my marriage. I can see myself spending waaaayyy to much time here. Perhaps I shouldn’t be too anxious to get my e-mail. The Big Shiney Robot review was awesome.

Posted by Laura Keaton [WBM!] on August 16, 2011, 04:31 PM report to moderator

Interesting that both reporters were sorted into Ravenclaw…

Posted by Jennibelle on August 16, 2011, 04:43 PM report to moderator
Da1a_thumb

Lol @Laura K. My husband is used to being an HP widow whenever anything new comes out!

Posted by Rin68nyr on August 16, 2011, 05:16 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I don’t want to spoil it for myself so I’m not reading the review but I can’t wait!!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on August 16, 2011, 05:37 PM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

SO EXCITING!! I can’t wait!

Posted by Mad But Happy on August 16, 2011, 05:42 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_2_thumb

I got my welcome letter yesterday! and may I say that Pottermore is beyond amazing!! I sat there for hours on the site! Slight malfunctions with some of the elements but other than that i have not a single bad thing to say about it :)

Posted by hermionegranger100 on August 16, 2011, 05:49 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"I can't see any boils," said Ron, staring at the twins.[br]"No, well, you wouldn't," said Fred darkly, "they're not in a place we generally display to the public --"[br]"-- but they make sitting on a broom a right pain in the --"