Pottermore Insider Answers Questions About Beta Testing and Welcome E-Mails

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Stephanie_J
August 25, 2011, 03:35 PM

A new blog post has gone up on the Pottermore Insider following the latest batch of welcome e-mails which were sent out today.

Several frequently asked questions about the beta process are covered in this latest update as well as the timeline for receiving welcome e-mails. The Insider also denies the rumor that welcome letters will be sent out sooner to those who have been friended by other Pottermore users.

Beta phases are fluid and it’s important to watch and see how a site reacts to increasing amounts of users and activity.

Every time more people are added to Pottermore, we take a pause and look at how the site is responding to see if everything is working as we expect it to and whether we need to make changes before we let more people into Pottermore.

We are planning on giving more people early access over the next week or so and then we will pause sending Welcome emails for a while so that we can see how things are going.

Unfortunately, we can’t create a schedule to share, as we need to respond to what we learn with each group of new users. That’s also why there are gaps between the batches of Welcome emails; it all depends on what we’re learning from those who are currently on the site.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Actoricons-abs-245_1__thumb

I got my quill on day two and I stayed up all night to get it. Now to know I haven’t received my email because of this slowly letting people in to record data stuff really is getting me upset. I’m beyond waiting; I’m over it! For all of the others who got in I’m happy for you; for all the rest of us good luck.

Posted by phoenixfeather08 «Я☼AR» on August 25, 2011, 07:06 PM report to moderator
Bronwyn_almost_4_months_thumb

Patiently waiting here. I was thrilled to make it in the mix with the quill. :D Am excited and will probably bounce out of my chair when I do get my welcome e-mail. LOL

Posted by Xyra44 on August 25, 2011, 08:13 PM report to moderator
Th_abaharrypotter_thumb

Honestly with the amount of fans that DID NOT get the quills and the massive popularity HP has Worldwide, they better test a little more than 1million logged on users at a time. I remember when WOW came out they expected 3 million people by the end of the 1st year, they got 7 million the first week!

Posted by Rhemas on August 25, 2011, 08:20 PM report to moderator
Owl_thumb

thanks for the answers! this helps! very excited but trying to be patient…we want it to work right?!?keep going pottermore!

Posted by farewell_fred on August 25, 2011, 08:50 PM report to moderator
Owl_thumb

Posted by farewell_fred on August 25, 2011, 08:51 PM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

What! I did not get my Pottermore email! My father will hear about this!

Posted by Girlraven1 on August 25, 2011, 09:16 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

Well I’m gonna say that my email probably wont come until late September. sighs

Posted by LunaLuver on August 25, 2011, 10:52 PM report to moderator
Happy_thumb

Aw I just HATE waiting.

Posted by Beatrice Jean Granger on August 26, 2011, 12:07 AM report to moderator

How come I got my email but I can’t log in?! WHAT’S GOING ON?! ARGH!!!

Posted by . on August 26, 2011, 12:36 AM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

Nice to get some answers about this process. Don’t understand why there has to be this “pause” stage with sending out welcome emails. Do they plan on letting in the rest of the million immediately after the “pause” or in increments again?

And if you don’t get in until the end of September, although you have the option to provide feedback, will they really read it at that point? Will we really be able to make a change in the site with recommendations?

Posted by purplehogwarts on August 26, 2011, 02:19 AM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

@purplehogwarts Well, I suppose there’s always room for improvement. Sites change and have updates all the time. I think all of us have at least once tried to get on leaky just to see that the site’s not up because they’re ‘cleaning’.

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on August 26, 2011, 02:29 AM report to moderator

I haven’t received an email yet. and all of my classmates had. I’m seriously sad.

Posted by Miyoko_kato on August 26, 2011, 02:35 AM report to moderator
Tete_ben_thumb

I think the site is supposed to open on the 31rst of october (did I read this somewhere on PM insider, or did JKR mention in the july video ?), so even if they open the gates at the end of september, there will still be an entire month of testing, feedbacks, and early access for us. As for the feedbacks it is a bit frustrating right now because certain things (a lot actually) don’t work, but we can’t actually write comments for PM to read (except if they read the comments we make within the reading of book 1 experience, which I doubt). We can only, via the “BETA” button, click on options like “are you happy with this page” and then send the feedback. There is no “message” field to fill in, which would be more practical for bugs like “impossible to grab that potion”, “facebook option doesn’t work” or “mortar doesn’t respond to clicks”…

Posted by Noz on August 26, 2011, 03:33 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

This is just frustrating!

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on August 26, 2011, 04:14 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

@Noz Since you are in already, please tell me something I’m worried about: do you have to interact vocally when you’re sorted -or anywhere else on PM, by the way?

Posted by cb160 on August 26, 2011, 05:34 AM report to moderator

"I -- don't -- like -- spiders," said Ron tensely.[br]"I never knew that," said Hermione, looking at Ron in surprise. "You've used spiders in Potions loads of times...."[br]"I don't mind them dead," said Ron, who was carefully looking anywhere but at the

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014