Updated: Pottermore's Magical Quill Challenge, Day 4, Now Closed

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Stephanie_J
August 03, 2011, 11:00 AM

Update: Registration for day 4 is now closed; tomorrow's clue will revolve around Order of the Phoenix. No word yet on what time to expect the latest challenge.

Day 4 of Pottermore's Magical Quill Challenge is now open with a clue from Goblet of Fire.
How many students take part in the Triwizard Tournament during Harry's fourth year? Multiply this number by 28.
Think you know the answer? Add the number to the end of this website address (http://quill.pottermore.com/) and find the magical quill for a chance to be one of the first million Pottermore beta users. Please do not post the answer or link in the comments!

Be quick! Registration will only be open while spaces are still available each day.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

I am sooo upset, got the answer and then on Step 7 of the registration, there were no names to choose from and no picture to type in the words. This is so unfair. Help. What could have gone wrong?
I am so sad and don’t know whether to try again, was so happy to get for my son and then the disappointment when the system stalled and we could not go farther. :(

Posted by DreamingDrama on August 03, 2011, 11:43 AM report to moderator

Posted by DreamingDrama on August 03, 2011, 11:44 AM report to moderator
Gossipgirlxoxo-716360_100_100_thumb

Yay! I got it :)

Posted by roseteaxx on August 03, 2011, 11:46 AM report to moderator
The-two-hardest-things-to-say-in-life-are-hello-for-the-first-time-and-goodbye-for-the-last_thumb

im sorry!!! all i can tell u is to report this and try again:( but with the amount of people trying to get in theres bound to be something that goes wrong:(
i tried on day 2 and never got my email even though i dont have yahoo so i just think that this whole thing could have been a little better thought out to avoid things like this happening!!

Image_thumb

I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m soooo excited!!!!

Posted by ParisThePotterLuver on August 03, 2011, 11:52 AM report to moderator

Yeah! I managed to register and validate my account before it closed my username is WolfsbaneFirebolt55

Posted by IntensiveMonk on August 03, 2011, 12:00 PM report to moderator
Hobgoblin_thumb

Keep trying! It worked today! I was not happy yesterday. I got to the part where you had to levitate the quill and it wouldn’t go up more than half of the window no matter what I tried. Finally ran out of time. Today was not as tricky. Just got the confirmation email and activated it so I am official!

Look for OakCharm164 when the site opens up.

Posted by sarshao on August 03, 2011, 12:01 PM report to moderator

@DreamingDrama…what probably happened was that all of the slots were taken before you finished registering. That bites. What I did, starting at the begining of the time window, I refreshed the site about every 10 or 15 minutes until the question apeared. You really have to be quick. The question was up sometime between 10:15 and 10:30 and all the slots were gone by 11:00.

Posted by Imablack on August 03, 2011, 12:04 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Congrats to all who managed to get in today, in spite of the ‘technical difficulties.’ My son will be so pleased when he gets off work and finds out that he made it in! I just hope that the name MarauderFang suits him : [

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on August 03, 2011, 12:04 PM report to moderator

The way this registration procedure works is like a “Denial of Service” attack. When bad guys do this, they send thousands of simultaneous requests at a web site in order to crash it. When Pottermore does it, some people don’t get through. It seems inevitable that this method will have problems…unless there aren’t enough Potter fans to crash a server…

LOL!

of course there are enough Potter fans to crash a server!
That’s why some of it always goes wonky.

Posted by trontech on August 03, 2011, 12:12 PM report to moderator
Picture_6_thumb

Congrats all! I got in a couple days ago (after staking out in front of the computer for nearly 24 hours straight _). See you all on Pottermore!

Posted by Emily [ROAR] on August 03, 2011, 12:16 PM report to moderator
Floo_powder_power_square_thumb

Day 1: First learned of the contest by thinking, hey, I should check out that pottermore site, then seeing the “Day 1 closed” notice

Day 2: checked site at 3 am EST, back asleep, checked again at 6 am, too late, smiled at the collective enthusiasm of everybody

Day 3: set alarm 6 am, got clue right, got to Guardian webpage, kept refreshing thinking something was wrong, googled it, realized duh! the quill is right there LABELED “This is the Magical Quill!”, then couldn’t levitate it grr!, then googled that, then finally – I’m in! (and I agree with both trontech above who said s/he didn’t want to close the acceptance page-ever!-mine’s been open since yesterday – I’ll save it! and I also agree with someone else somewhere who posted: my 10-yr-old self was running around saying, I’m going to Hogwarts!)

Day 4 – wanted to see today’s, but clue came on line JUST as I was starting a work conf. call; got it right (while working! shh!), got to Sony page, but decided didn’t want to google it but find the quill myself (since I’m already in, the pressure’s off), but trying to wave cursor around and click on links while on conf. call didn’t turn it up. After mtg I did google it, realized if I had just refreshed the page it would have come up (which is ironic, cause the day before I must have refreshed the Guardian page 50 times! why didn’t I today?), but then when I tried refreshing the page came up saying it was already closed (in <40 minutes!).

Glad others got in, and today it didn’t matter for me, but I wanted to see the floating quills…. does anyone know if there’s a screenshot or something of it somewhere?

Posted by PhoenixFromTheFlame aka Floo on August 03, 2011, 12:19 PM report to moderator

I got in and got the cool username of Wizardseeker37. I was not going to do it because of the time of the first three questions. When I saw the forth one was going to be out during a time when I was awake I thought I would give it a try. I refreshed right when the question appeared figuring they would put it up in a 5 minute interval. Meaning I refreshed at 9 9:05 9:10 etc.. I can’t even remover when the question went up but I know it was in the 10:00 hour EST. I had my book ready but was thinking I would not get in because it has been a while since I read GOF and that book is big.When I saw that easy question I was happy until the site malfunctioned and the quill was not appearing. I kept putting in the quill.pottermore.com/112 and kept getting the Sony store. I almost gave up but then went to twitter and saw a lot of people were having this problem so I decided to just keep putting the URl in and hoping I would see the quill. Then I put in the URL and it just came up that I had found the quill. I did not question it I just went on with my registration. It turns out that Pottermore was having difficulties with the quill appearing so they just rerouted everyone to the registration page. :)

Phoenixfrom the flame-there was no quill today they had technical difficulties and the quill did not appear so they reouted everyone to the registration page

Posted by mlc on August 03, 2011, 12:26 PM report to moderator
Jenavieve_one_thumb

IM IN ! WitchFelicis130

it was glitchy but i still got it ! good job to everybody else who did, and keep trying for the people who didnt !!

Posted by AlexWeasley12 {WitchFelicis130} on August 03, 2011, 12:27 PM report to moderator
Halloween-crimson-witch-bnac533_thumb

Congrats to all of you who managed to get in! So… how did u find the quill? Where was it? I got to the sony page but didn’t know where to look… I kept clicking everywhere and nothing… Any tips will be much appreciated since I’m trying again tomorrow.

Posted by Halfblood Princess on August 03, 2011, 12:37 PM report to moderator

Ron snapped. Before Malfoy knew what was happening, Ron was on top of him, wrestling him to the ground. Neville hesitated, then clambered over the back of his seat to help.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014