Sony and Pottermore to Launch Special eReader with "Harry Potter" Book Extra

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
August 31, 2011, 07:06 PM

In a report released by PCWorld today, Sony's updated eReader lineup will feature a special model eReader which includes a "free download voucher for the first Harry Potter ebook title, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone."  The article, available to read here, goes through the latest line up of Sony eReaders which will include the PRS-T1HBC model, packaged with the free download voucher.  Additional information about the pairing and release have not yet been released, with PC World noting "Sony hasn't indicated whether the T1HBC would carry premium pricing, nor has it said where that model will be sold."

As readers will recall, earlier this month Leaky first heard rumblings of a rumor of a special Pottermore-bundled eReader set for release this November.  We have not heard further news on this, but will update you when we know more.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

I love print books so I’ll stick to those for as long as I can

Posted by mencia on September 01, 2011, 04:16 AM report to moderator

The title of this post us a bit misleading. If you read the PC world article all it says is that it’s Sony’s new ereader, and that Sony and jkr have partnered for Pottermore. It’s not a special HP branded ereader, though that would be awesome!

Posted by bricat on September 01, 2011, 07:15 AM report to moderator
Anime-halloween-witch-greetings_thumb

even tho i luv printed stuff, no way am i gonna miss this one!!! hehehe
^_~

Posted by Paitrix...{WBM} on September 01, 2011, 08:12 AM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

Living in another country and trying to read books 4-7, trust me you need an ereader

Posted by KiwiMcI on September 01, 2011, 10:07 AM report to moderator

We own 4 copies of the books (hard cover, paperback, special, etc) and I can’t wait to get it on my Kindle so I can keep it with me where ever I go.

Posted by Ratorr on September 01, 2011, 11:28 AM report to moderator
Ruin_thumb

I love ‘real’ books and have shelves upon shelves to prove it, but I got a Kindle for Christmas last year and absolutely love it! It’s very convenient for traveling (of which I do a lot) and I have found literally hundreds of great books for free! I have tons of the old classics as well as newer ones and have only actually paid money for 3 books. I also have 4 or 5 game applications that are fun as well. I’ll be saving my sickles for the ereader versions of the HP books. As someone else mentioned, the paperbacks tear up after a few (dozen) readings, so the electronic version will be great! I wonder if the search option will work on them? If so, that’ll be fantastic for trivia questions!!

Posted by nundu on September 01, 2011, 11:59 AM report to moderator
Sniget_thumb

Since the partnership with Sony is probably what funds Pottermore, this is only a good thing. I hope the bundled e-readers do well.

Posted by Ellorgast on September 01, 2011, 02:48 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I probably won’t be getting the digital editions since I prefer the physical ones

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on September 01, 2011, 03:01 PM report to moderator

@CoolG I agree I got a Kindle for my birthday so I will no be purchasing a new e-reader but if they do become available for the Kindle I might buy them

Posted by witbeyondmeasure on September 01, 2011, 05:02 PM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

There’s something about the fell of curling up with a printed book that an ereader doesn’t have but it sounds convenient for travel. Maybe even one day text books will all be on them and students won’t have to worry about lugging them around to do homework. I have several versions of the printed version of hp and audio books but no ereader. I would have more of an interest in audio books than an ereader.

Posted by molly43 on September 01, 2011, 05:08 PM report to moderator
Believe_in_yourself_thumb

I also think an ereader is convenient for travel, and carrying your favorite books with you, but it can’t replace a printed book for me. Just holding a printed book, looking at its cover, flipping through it (especially before rereading it or right after I’ve read it), is an experience I don’t want to miss. And is it just me? but I think ebooks are very expensive considering you only get a digital copy which you can put on just one ereader (unless I’m mistaken). Some are the same price or even more expensive than the actual book :o(
For me that is definitely not a selling point. I suppose the cost of making a book is a lot more than just printing and cover, and I’m all for supporting writers and publishers (if I could afford it and had a larger house, I would buy more books. Don’t tell my mum ;o) ) But are publishers really making the same profit on ebooks as on printed books, or actually a bit (lot?) more?

Posted by Tarana on September 01, 2011, 08:01 PM report to moderator

I’ve got all the books on my Kindle and that’s how I’ve read them the past couple times. Granted they’re not official versions but ones that I created myself after many, many hours of effort. I’ve learned that my OCR program really doesn’t have a clue about many HP-specific words. Quidditch produced some interesting results. lol I might go ahead and buy the official ebooks just so I don’t have to deal with the few lingering issues. However, I’ve converted most of my American versions to the British versions. If I can’t get the British versions of the official ebooks, I’ll pass.

Posted by Feorge on September 01, 2011, 09:15 PM report to moderator
Actoricons-abs-245_1__thumb

It would be nice if they had an E-reader that made the Harry Potter series Magical! like have special effects.

Posted by phoenixfeather08 «Я☼AR» on September 01, 2011, 11:11 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Thats cool! Pretty handy!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on September 05, 2011, 11:54 AM report to moderator

Has there been any news on when Sony will release the new eReader w/the availability of free Harry Potter book?

Posted by jasygrama on October 26, 2011, 08:08 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Well -- now don't get upset, Molly, but Augustus Pye had an idea... He's the Trained Healer, you know, lovely young chap and very interested in... um... complementary medicine... I mean, some of these old Muggle remedies... well, they're called [i]stitch