More Pottermore Welcome Emails Sent; Have You Gained Access Yet?

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
September 06, 2011, 02:23 PM

It seems as if the Pottermore owls are being sent out with even more regularity this week, as the Pottermore Insider Blog has been updated again noting even more welcome emails have just been sent to early beta access users.

A question now for Leaky readers: Have you gotten beta access to Pottermore yet?  If you've been among the lucky bunch to gain early access to the site, please do share your thoughts in the comments below.  We may feature your review in a future update!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

I’ve been in for just over a week and I was a Day 2 quill finder. The artwork is really great, but I have to say it took a bit to figure some things out. You can “collect” items for your trunk. Some things you must zoom in on once, some twice, and some not at all. So you have to just keep clicking until you figure out the pattern and what to look for.
Getting your wand is an interesting experience…the pictures didn’t fit completely on my screen and I did not realize on one of the first questions that there was actually a question. I thought you were supposed to choose what most appealed to you. But at the end of the questions, it gives a rundown of your choices and asks if you are happy with them or would like to start over, so if you accidently make a mistake, it’s ok. You can go back. (This is NOT true of sorting, so be very careful and take your time with those questions!) I answered truthfully and I don’t feel my wand fits me AT ALL, but perhaps it can provide me with more insight into my personality…perhaps there are latent traits that have yet to express themselves?
I love reading the extra content! Some of it is really fascinating. I love the bit about Muggle clothing.
I was worried after my wand that I would be sorted into a house that didn’t fit me, but I got into Ravenclaw. I had always thought I was Hufflepuff, but I’m happy with Ravenclaw, too.
I’m one of those in the minority who thinks potion brewing is easier than spell casting. But perhaps this is due to my hobby being baking…I’m used to following recipes, etc. You have to be quick for spell casting and it takes a LOT of practice.
My advice to first years is to not buy anything in Diagon Alley other than what is on your shopping list. There are a lot of things to find in each chapter and you don’t want to waste money on things that you will find later since you don’t get any more money until CoS comes out. Anything you don’t “collect”, you can always go back to Diagon Alley (which is worth exploring even if you aren’t going to buy anything from most of the shops) at any time through the story or when you need something.
Right now there are still plenty of glitches, so those worrying that there will be nothing let to “fix” or give feedback on by the time they receive their email need not fear. I’m sure there will still be plenty to do. Plus, if they are paying attention to comments, they are getting a lot of new suggestions for things to add, which will also need to be tested if they add these things.
Good luck to those who have not received your letter! I wish you all a speedy owl!

Posted by songbird on September 07, 2011, 09:11 AM report to moderator

Wow, guess I won’t get my “letter” until the tail-end of September. That’s cool, though. I was happy I even managed to get into the beta testing to begin with. At this point, October is only a few weeks away, so it’s easier to just be patient and wait and see; we’ll all get in eventually, one way or another.

Posted by critterfur on September 07, 2011, 09:16 AM report to moderator

Congrats, Paitrix! Have fun!

Posted by MagicBclPlyr on September 07, 2011, 09:22 AM report to moderator

I got in a few days ago. Wish the wizarding duels were working, but sadly they are not. One of the things that kinda surprised me was how uneven the sorting is. I never expected there to be far more Ravenclaws than anyone else. The fact that Slytherin is the smallest house was unusual to me as well.

Posted by aresofmars on September 07, 2011, 10:15 AM report to moderator

I also haven’t got my email yet, but is nice to know that I’m not the only one ;)

Posted by camila_black08 on September 07, 2011, 10:33 AM report to moderator
185720_206097139403618_100000100015574_916531_193672_n_thumb

i finally got in on last saturday, it is completely incredible.
i now also know that im a ravenclaw :)

Posted by QLunaLoveQ on September 07, 2011, 11:34 AM report to moderator
Halloween-crimson-witch-bnac533_thumb

@purplehogwarts: Congrats! So glad you finally got your mail!!! Enjoy PM and tell us what you think!
I’m still waiting for my mail… so sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I practically jump every time a new mail comes in… so far, no luck!!!!
So, are day 3s all in yet?

Posted by Halfblood Princess on September 07, 2011, 11:35 AM report to moderator
All_was_well_by_shelbi_s-d3i2cdi_thumb

I got in as well and I’m in Hufflepuff. I loved reading about the common room and all that but there was nothing as good as McGonagall’s story!!!! It is a bit weird that you can’t talk to the friends you have. the only interaction seems to be the duel. either I haven’t realized that you can send an owl or it is just not in there. I think that would actually be pretty cool so you can get to know your friends. potions is pretty hard, but i like the idea of it. I mean it was never easy in the books so why should it be easier on pottermore! all in all I have to say that i enjoy it very much and I can’t wait for the chamber of secrets!!! :D

Posted by elanor17 on September 07, 2011, 11:37 AM report to moderator
Rumbleroar__by_weddersins_thumb

still no email :( but it’s good to hear that day 3er’s are getting in now, hopefully I’ll get it this week as october is approaching soon and if I get in later I feel I won’t be able to give much feedback…
anyways am so excited for this and I really hope it comes soon, it’ll ease the pain of being back at school :)

Posted by RumbleRoarrrrr on September 07, 2011, 11:46 AM report to moderator
Keeper_thumb

Still waiting for my email. As I didn’t find the quill until the last day, I suspect I won’t be getting in until right before the site opens to all. Sigh…

Posted by AvanelleWood on September 07, 2011, 11:54 AM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

I got my Pottermore e-mail recently, and just finished the first book! I was sorted into Hufflepuff, much to my glee, and I had a wonderful time collecting items, reading additional information, brewing potions, and exploring the “moments”. The site is a little glitchy, and sometimes annoying because of that, but overall…It works like a charm, and it’s not difficult to get the hang of it. This site was made for HP dorks.

Posted by Mad But Happy on September 07, 2011, 12:02 PM report to moderator

The difference between student numbers in Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff is less than 200…not much considering we have over 55,000 in those houses. They’ve fluctuated quite a bit, as well. Yesterday Ravenclaw had the second fewest.
Elanor17, I agree with you on the Owls. I actually bought an owl hoping it would be useful, but there’s no way to communicate person to person. But as far as friends go, it’s kind of an catch 22. They tell you not to add people who have requested you unless you know them, but they’ve given us no way to GET to know each other. Only the comments, which are glitchy at the moment. But you can’t share things like potions ingredients, etc, unless you are friends, either. I would really like a chance to get to know others, especially those in my house. I understand them not wanting us to reveal real life information…that makes sense, however it seems contradictory to say “get to know each other” but not give us the means to do that. But over all, it’s quite a great experience.

Posted by songbird on September 07, 2011, 12:15 PM report to moderator
377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

@purplehogwarts congratz, enjoy pottermore & keep us updated

Posted by mencia on September 07, 2011, 12:15 PM report to moderator

@purplehogwarts Congrats! Have fun!

Posted by MagicBclPlyr on September 07, 2011, 01:05 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

BAH HUMBUG!!! By Grabthar’s Hammer I will get in!

Posted by Won_Two on September 07, 2011, 01:33 PM report to moderator

"It is time," he said, "for me to tell you what I should have told you five years ago, Harry. Please sit down. I am going to tell you everything. I ask only a little patience. You will have your chance to rage at me -- to do whatever you like -- when I ha