J.K. Rowling's Next Novel Announced, Written for Adults

Books
Posted by: Melissa
February 23, 2012, 09:28 AM

UPDATE: jkrowling.com is being "refreshed and redesigned" and will be opened again later this spring. An e-mail list has been added to the Web site's interface for readers to subscribe to updates.

J.K. Rowling's agency, the Blair Partnership, announced this morning that the Harry Potter author will be releasing a new novel for adults.

The only other info on the page, besides a graphic, is a note from the author indicating that "While I have loved writing it just as much, my next book will be very different from the Harry Potter series."

A press release further notes:

"Although I’ve enjoyed writing it every bit as much, my next book will be very different to the Harry Potter series, which has been published so brilliantly by Bloomsbury and my other publishers around the world. The freedom to explore new territory is a gift that Harry’s success has brought me, and with that new territory it seemed a logical progression to have a new publisher. I am delighted to have a second publishing home in Little, Brown, and a publishing team that will be a great partner in this new phase of my writing life"

Details will be announced "later in the year." The as-yet unnamed book has been bought by Little, Brown and Company in the UK and US.

The book will be the first of J.K. Rowling's work to be available immediately in print and electronic versions. There was no auction for the rights to the book.

As always through all these years, stay very close to Leaky for news and developments on J.K. Rowling's writing: we will be covering it as closely as we do Harry Potter.

Oh, and: leave a comment if you just screamed, did a dance, jumped for joy, or anything else.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Polar

Wait details later this year? Now we are tortured into waiting for more details. Now!!! Please !! Its been four long years.

Posted by lupinblack2001 on February 23, 2012, 11:17 AM report to moderator
Hglove_thumb

At work in a library. Can’t scream, but I did run and tell my boss!

Posted by vikehi on February 23, 2012, 11:20 AM report to moderator

This is fantastic news!!! Can’t wait and will be watching Leaky for the release date as well as any news about the publication!! Definitely will purchase!

Posted by jasygrama on February 23, 2012, 11:20 AM report to moderator
46004695_1246882019_brian_kinney_brayn_kinnyey1_thumb

Woo! Definitely cannot wait!

Posted by SomethingWickedThisWayCome on February 23, 2012, 11:23 AM report to moderator
Icon_thumb

I jumped and squealed. So excited. But the refreshed website is what interests me. Will it be similar to her old one that I loved so much? I’m excited for the new book but I’m a little more excited for the new website. I hope it still has all the cool Easter Eggs and that Peeves will still visit.

Posted by Elwood J. Blues on February 23, 2012, 11:33 AM report to moderator

That is so cool! By the way, hello, Leaky! Thanks for being here for us to read this story when Mugglenet is back down again :D

Posted by PhoenixQuest12 on February 23, 2012, 11:37 AM report to moderator
Ravenpuff_thumb

Oh Wow this is amazing

Posted by Ravenpuffmax on February 23, 2012, 11:38 AM report to moderator
Weemee_5_thumb

Can’t wait! Thanks Melissa for the updates from your twitter. I think you might of calm down a bit by now. lol

Posted by bobbblie on February 23, 2012, 11:53 AM report to moderator
757920_thumb

fasjdflkasjdf sjdfl first Newsies is on Broadway and then this? Dreams really do come true.

Posted by Beckatrix the Strange on February 23, 2012, 12:11 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_drawing_thumb

Great news! I wonder what genre it is? Hopefully it’ll come out by the time I’m in Uni. 3 years to go. :D

Posted by Grindylow_101 on February 23, 2012, 12:28 PM report to moderator

I’m sorry to say it, but this new book will be terrible. As much as I love Harry Potter, JK Rowling isn’t a good writer. The plotline to HP is fantastic; it is nowhere CLOSE to well-written.

Posted by Asplich on February 23, 2012, 12:29 PM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

AAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Just screamed and did a dance for my mom! I have been saying since the beginning of the year that Jo needed to announce a new book this year. And now she has! SQUEEEEE.

And, Melissa, I would please like an episode of Pottercast ASAP deconstructing every detail of her under-construction website. How many pages would you say that stand-in book is? And why orange? I NEED TO KNOW.

:D

Posted by The Hufflepuff Giraffe on February 23, 2012, 12:30 PM report to moderator
Is22581022_thumb

The yellow cover’s gotta be a clue, right? Maybe a book about Canaries? :P

Posted by YodatheHobbit on February 23, 2012, 12:32 PM report to moderator
Ootp_tumblr_thumb

suhweet!! can’t wait to read it, yay!! :D

Posted by hermy007 on February 23, 2012, 12:37 PM report to moderator
Ootp_tumblr_thumb

love the pic that went with the article btw leaky. :D

Posted by hermy007 on February 23, 2012, 12:38 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Water demon," said Lupin, surveying the grindylow thoughtfully. "We shouldn't have much difficulty with him, not after the kappas. The trick is to break his grip. You notice the abnormally long fingers? Strong, but very brittle."