Harry Potter E-Books to be Available to Schools and Libraries

Books
Posted by: Mel
February 27, 2012, 07:37 PM

Pottermore and OverDrive, "a leading distributor for the school and library market," have entered into an agreement that will allow the entire Harry Potter series to be freely available to students and library patrons:

OverDrive director of marketing David Burleigh said the e-books and audiobooks are not yet available, though libraries and schools can pre-order them. The “go-live date” is to be announced, he said. Worldwide, the e-books will be available in ePub on PCs, Macs, Android devices, iPhones, iPads and Blackberries, plus reading devices including the Kindle and Nook, with Kindle support in the US only. The audiobooks will be available in MP3 format.

Both the CEO's of Pottermore and OverDrive discussed this new arrangement:

Pottermore c.e.o. Charlie Redmayne said: "We are keen to support public and school libraries, and OverDrive, as one of the leading suppliers in this market, provides us with a global network that helps us achieve this, as well as encouraging the discovery of these amazing books across the world."

OverDrive c.e.o. and president Steve Potash said: “J K Rowling’s Harry Potter is a once-a-lifetime phenomenon and has been an extremely significant catalyst for reading and literacy for current and future generations. We are honoured to bring this beloved storytelling experience digitally to public and school libraries worldwide.”

You can read the rest of the article here.

Many thanks to Max and roonwit for owling!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Yes, the series is phenomeniall! Siriusly, I love what they’re doing here, letting it be available in all forms but I’ll always read it via my traditional books. (:

Posted by . on February 27, 2012, 07:45 PM report to moderator

Unlike new editions of the books, this is something I can pass on, but it’s great that new generations that use these less than traditional means of reading can experience the greatest story ever told. They haven’t been too clear about the availability of the British versus American English editions, except to say only the U.S will have it for Kindle…

Posted by pottermate on February 27, 2012, 08:46 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I’m still a person who’d rather pick up a book and resd then something on screen. Just doesnt have the same feeling. =/

Posted by LunaLuver on February 27, 2012, 08:51 PM report to moderator

I’m looking forward to it. I actually had heard about this beforehand though. Volunteering at the library FTW!

Posted by bookworm1118 on February 27, 2012, 09:38 PM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

That is not good news to Kindle owners in the UK!

Posted by Graymayne on February 28, 2012, 03:02 AM report to moderator
Ruin_thumb

I’d like to be able to purchase the ebooks rather than just borrow them from my library. I’ve read the books. I have multiple copies (paperback and hardback, US and UK), but I’d love to put them on my Kindle permanently.

Posted by nundu on February 28, 2012, 08:54 AM report to moderator
Emma_watson_drawing_thumb

This is great! Another way to make people read! However I too will probably prefer to read from the proper books. :D

Posted by Grindylow_101 on February 28, 2012, 12:04 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

I am glad that librairies in schools will be able to order ebooks of Harry Potter. They are such great stories!

Posted by Fresca ROAR on February 29, 2012, 01:16 PM report to moderator

My OverDrive has them on pre-release. Yes, yes, yes.

If you want to read the article, there is the page.

Maybe beta will be over by the end of April.

Posted by CatSpirit93 on February 29, 2012, 01:21 PM report to moderator
Caffeine_thumb

I’m really excited about the ebooks. I really love ink-and-paper books, but my room is getting filled up. I have the paper versions of the Harry Potter books, of course, and still read them and will keep them. Having the ebooks would be cool, too.

I’m glad they’ll be available to schools and libraries, so it gives more people the opportunity to read.

Posted by Ani Sharmin on March 01, 2012, 08:31 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-galleon_thumb

This is really nice for someone like me. Having a traditional book is nice but I travel a lot so it’s a lot easier for me to throw my iPad into my carry on and have all of my books.

Posted by LegendMN007 on March 03, 2012, 04:14 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Good idea but a physical book is always better! :)

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on March 03, 2012, 07:35 PM report to moderator
Biker_old_lady4done_use_thumb

Yes physical books are better but when it becomes a problem reading small print, an E book is wonderful for enlarging the print. I have been waiting it seems like forever to be able to read the books again.

Posted by Cool G on March 08, 2012, 10:25 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

About time that!

Posted by Won_Two on March 10, 2012, 10:29 AM report to moderator

"...but Miss Hermione Granger knew my secret ambition is to rid the world of evil and market my own range of hair-care potions -- good girl! In fact" -- he flipped her paper over -- "full marks! Where is Miss Hermione Granger?"

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014